all posts post new thread

Barbell Should I Get a Trap Bar?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

watchnerd

Level 8 Valued Member
I don't really need one...

But I thought it might be fun to use for frame carries, and other stuff.

The Eleiko Oppen (open trap bar) is back in stock and I'm tempted.

Last edited:
If you've got the funds and the storage space, might as well. It's one of the nicer trap bar designs I've seen.

Plus developing massive traps from heavy shrugs could help you add a few kilos to your clean.

Is there nothing you need more and don't already have though?

I like mine. I got it initially for my dad who can’t squat due to knee issues. But I wanted to try working with it for Easy Strength since a lot of coaches like it for athletes of other sports. I like the way it’s sorta in between a squat and a hinge. Also, I can leave it set up separate from other exercises making transitions easier.

My fav specialty bar is the SSB. Mine is from elitefts. It builds some serious strength that carrys over to the powerlifts. Not sure about Olympic lifts.

Is there nothing you need more and don't already have though?

Ummmm.....

The next level upgrades would require moving out of the garage and into dedicated tiny house gymnastics/pilates/yoga studio with full size parallel bars, stall bars, 12' ceilings with suspended rings, and a dedicated lifting platform.

That's probably 5 years away when we relocate.

My fav specialty bar is the SSB. Mine is from elitefts. It builds some serious strength that carrys over to the powerlifts. Not sure about Olympic lifts.

Supposedly, the open trap bars (especially this one, since it has rounded tubing) can also be used as safety squat bars and as neutral-grip shoulder pressers

Plus developing massive traps from heavy shrugs could help you add a few kilos to your clean.

That's a nice, purposeful, functional, and logical rationale for bigger traps.

It's like when I convince myself that I help prevent elbow dislocations on snatches by doing biceps curls. ;)

I like mine. I got it initially for my dad who can’t squat due to knee issues. But I wanted to try working with it for Easy Strength since a lot of coaches like it for athletes of other sports. I like the way it’s sorta in between a squat and a hinge. Also, I can leave it set up separate from other exercises making transitions easier.

I've only used one like half a dozen times in my life.

I've heard the torso ends up being more sumo-like, but without the crotch splitting.

Is it true it's hard to due lockout due to the bar not hitting your hip crease?

I know the US Army uses trap bars now for its PT tests.

Last edited:
I think they are a good addition. It's like a cross between farmers and frame but more economically friendly. If you have a high handle version then you can overload your Pulls from the floor, great way of just preparing the body as a whole to pull more weight off the floor.

I'm a fan, especially in the context of choosing one big lower-body lift while focusing on running and hiking. Here's a good Greg Nuckols piece: Trap Bar Deadlifts are Underrated • Stronger by Science

By way of an aside, I'll note that I have a history of tibial bone stress issues associated with running, and it's my personal suspicion that the incidental contact between shin and bar when pulling with a straight bar makes this slightly worse, probably in some obscure psychosomatic way. With the trap bar, no such issue. I've never heard anyone else talk about this, but it's made enough of a difference in my own training that I think it's worth throwing out there.

Doesn't the garage fit a platform? How much equipment do you own?

The garage fits a lifting platform, and has one, although I'm rebuilding it right now because the wood has wood rot. So just plain horse stall mats for the moment while it gets rebuilt.

But I don't have a full sized set of parallel bars, stall bars, or dream machine.

How much equipment do I own?

Rack: Rogue S-2 indy squat stands
Barbells: Eleiko Powerlock, Rogue Oly bar, "Convict" EZ curl bar
Weights: 200+ kg in bumper plates and change plates, plate storage rack
Kettlebells: competition kettlebells from 8kg to 40 kg, doubles at 16, 24, 32
Clubs/maces: Indian clubs, Adex adjustable club, macebell
Resistance bands: a dozen or so in various resistances
Carries/odd objects: Mini farmer's handles, slosh tube
Gymnastic / calisthenics: pull up bar, plyo box, gymnastic rings, portable tall (35") parallettes

Last edited:
I've heard the torso ends up being more sumo-like, but without the crotch splitting.

Is it true it's hard to due lockout due to the bar not hitting your hip crease?
I have a plain, vanilla one from CAP I got for about $50 and I love it.

Torso can be anywhere you like from stiff leg/Romainian to nearly front squat angle since there's nothing to get in the way of shin angle.

For lock out, you just need to be using internal body sensations as cues instead of contact with bar. I have zero issues and all benefits.

How much equipment do I own?

Rack: Rogue S-2 indy squat stands
Barbells: Eleiko Powerlock, Rogue Oy bar, "Convict" EZ curl bar
Weights: 200+ kg in bumper plates and change plates, plate storage rack
Kettlebells: competition kettlebells from 8kg to 40 kg, doubles at 16, 24, 32
Clubs/maces: Indian clubs, Adex adjustable club, macebell
Resistance bands: a dozen or so in various resistances
Carries/odd objects: Mini farmer's handles, slosh tube
Gymnastic / calisthenics: pull up bar, plyo box, gymnastic rings, portable tall (35") parallettes

Wot, no bench?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom