all posts post new thread

Barbell Should I Get a Trap Bar?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Past couple months have been doing clean+push press. A few days ago switched to trap bar dl's. Today went with "triple extension" deadlifts with the trap bar. Seems to me safer for my dodgy knee than jumps plus I can load it a LOT heavier than even power clean because no getting under the bar required. Playing with grip I found that trying to hook grip was a lot more painful, partly due to increased weight but also I think hand angle and width put a lot more of the weight on my thumbs than when cleaning a regular barbell. It does seem though that hook grip may be less needed since the bar can't roll out of the hand. Simple, double overhand feels a bit more secure to me.

Just spotted this picture on line as illustration of how trap bars are more user friendly for nobodies ;)

Attachments

• trap-bar-beginner.jpg
    trap-bar-beginner.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I just love Rippetoe.

Even when I disagree with him, or when he spouts nonsense (GOMAD), I always find his point of view interesting and entertaining.

Here he explains why he thinks trap bars are useless, garbage, and dangerous:

Excellent, I hope it gets 1.3 million views. I will put a detailed plan of coordinated dumpster dives into action.

Excellent, I hope it gets 1.3 million views. I will put a detailed plan of coordinated dumpster dives into action.
I once acquired a perfect unicycle that way. Only needed 1 peddle, fix flat tire, and a bit of duct tape on the saddle-->summer cross training for snowboarding .

I once acquired a perfect unicycle that way. Only needed 1 peddle, fix flat tire, and a bit of duct tape on the saddle-->summer cross training for snowboarding .
Very nice. Did you know how to ride it already, and if you didn't, did it help you snowboarding?

Que? I thought it would be skate boarding
I quite skateboarding in mid 70's after missing a great swell (surfing) due to having dinged my shoulder skating a pool. Risk reward for me does not compute.
Very nice. Did you know how to ride it already, and if you didn't, did it help you snowboarding?
Never ridden one but had read about famous ski racer, can't remember who as it was long ago, used one as off season trainer. I learned by wearing heavy leather gardening gloves in an empty section of a parking garage and using the wall as support to start. One summer and it made a shocking difference in improving my snowboarding. Dramatic improvement in balance and balance recovery as well as leg strength. Plus it was great fun.

Back in the day, some of the big fellas ( mostly O Line ) that wore cowboy boots a lot in off-season had Achilles tendon issues come practice time. Particularly on AstroTurf.
No different really from women wearing high heels; they destroy your posture all the way up in service to an idiotic fashion statement. I guess originally the high heels on cowboy boots were to help lock your feet in the stirrups when riding horses but not...not so much

No different really from women wearing high heels; they destroy your posture all the way up in service to an idiotic fashion statement. I guess originally the high heels on cowboy boots were to help lock your feet in the stirrups when riding horses but not...not so much
Yes, they started going to a roper style boot, much less heel. I don't remember if they were encouraged to increase barefoot walking time or doing some of the Supple Leopard work for that area.

originally the high heels on cowboy boots were to help lock your feet in the stirrups when riding horses but not...not so much

I did rodeo as a teenager.

You're correct on the stirrup connection, but the heel on a riding or roper boot is much shallower than the tall Cuban heel you see on many men's boots.

Plus, when I did calf rustling, you have to jump off the horse to tie up the calf....not something you want to be wearing very high heels for.

Yes, I have seen low heeled cowboy boots and they seemed much more overall useful and sane, more of a useful tool than a "style"

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom