all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Should I move onto a 24kg bell as I find my swing form inconsistent?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Statia

Level 2 Valued Member
I've been swinging for quite a few weeks now. I'm 39, 6" tall and 71kg in weight.

I started with a 12kg as I was generally unfit and quickly moved onto the 16kg. I tried too quickly to move onto 10x 1h swings with the 16kg and ended up pulling a muscle in my lower back near the end of my swinging set (ego, impatience, etc). It's not that unusual to pull muscles in my lower back as I am quite "lanky" and they seem to be a point of weakness for my build. Since pulling the muscle, I have gone to 2h swings exclusively with the 16 as I find I can do these ok and it doesn't seem to affect my back muscle healing whilst maintaining my training regimen. I have stopped doing get-ups for now (which I dislike as I love doing them).

What I am finding though is that I feel that the form of my swing is inconsistent at times and I can't find my groove. I have since read this message by Steve which states:

"a lighter weight can allow poor form whereas the right weight will enforce good form. When I hear of someone getting injured at the end of session with a light weight, this is one of the thoughts that come to mind. It's easier to know when you're cooked with a moderately heavy weight than it is with a light one, which is why I counsel dialing back the reps, dialing back the sets, and using a proper weight."

So would it be a good idea for me to get a 24kg bell and start swinging with it, 2h, low reps, low sets, and use the 16kg exclusively for get-up's when my back is fully healed? When I am up to 100 swings with the 24, then look to move onto incorporating 1h swings slowly.

Also, will continuing to swing 2h whilst my back heals do more harm than good?

As a footnote, I'm really loving kettlebells. Training with my new heart monitor to get my HR down between sets leaves me feeling great after doing my swings. I leave the house with my head in the air, shoulders back, feeling great :)

I'm not a coach or instructor and can only tell you about my personal experience, so handle what I say with caution.

Also, will continuing to swing 2h whilst my back heals do more harm than good?
I had some light issues with my lower back from 1HS (1-Handed-Swings), too. 2HSwings actually made it better. I remember a situation when my lower back was so stiff that it caused pain getting out of bed and sitting down. In hope that the movement and bloodflow would alleviate the pain, I grabbed my 24 (for reference I did 1HS with 16 at that time) and started swinging (2HS). No Hardstyle swings with maximum tension, but not totally relaxed either. After 2 sets of 10-15 swings the pain and stiffness was completely gone and it didn't return afterwards.

So would it be a good idea for me to get a 24kg bell and start swinging with it, 2h, low reps, low sets, and use the 16kg exclusively for get-up's when my back is fully healed? When I am up to 100 swings with the 24, then look to move onto incorporating 1h swings slowly.
Sounds reasonable. I'd say go for a mix of 1HS and 2HS and a mix of the 16 and 24, e.g. some sets of 2HS with 24 and the others 1HS with 16. Or one day 1HS with 16 and 2HS with 24 on the next day.
Perfect your 2HS and then let it teach your 1HS. Have a look at Steves article about that: simple & sinister: progressing from two- to one-handed swings | StrongFirst

@Kettlebelephant Thanks for your informative response. I have ordered a 24kg bell and will see how I go with it.

I have read Steve's article that you linked and it sounds like a really good way to move onto one handed swings.

Thanks again.

As a footnote, I'm really loving kettlebells. Training with my new heart monitor to get my HR down between sets leaves me feeling great after doing my swings. I leave the house with my head in the air, shoulders back, feeling great :)
This is very good use for a heart rate monitor. Congratulations on your progress and for learning how to make good use of this new tool.

-S-

@Steve Freides Getting the heart rate monitor, although using it has extended the time it takes me to complete my swing sets, it leaves me feeling great afterwards and I'm really getting a buzz from exercising with the bells.

Also, this morning I tried doing a set of get-ups's with my 12kg bell and found that if I tensed my core when moving from laying on the floor, my back muscle didn't hurt. It's all progress!

I wouldn't be where I am now if it wasn't for the excellent information on this site, this community and from Pavel's books.

Statia - can you see an SFG or attend a Strongfirst course in your area? It will help in getting that groove and ensure you are doing the swing and TGU correctly and, most importantly, safely.

For example, the correct hip extension on the TGU, as you have worked out, makes all the difference!

Best of luck!
Simon.

@Gassyndrome

I have looked into seeing an SFG but there isn't one in my area and there are no Strongfirst courses in the UK that I am aware of.

How far is the closest SFG in your area?

short answer: if you cannot consistently maintain your form, it would be wise to own the swings with the bell you have at the moment before moving up

@Steve Freides Thanks for the link Steve, I have been on that page and looked previously.

@Mark Limbaga My nearest instructor is 3 hours away and the only courses they do are a couple of hours on a Saturday morning spread over several weeks, which unfortunately is not suitable for me.

@Steve Freides That's fantastic, thanks for that Steve. If they were to set one up in the UK, it would be ideal if they could do it in a central location, such as Birmingham, which would be much easier for people across the UK to get to instead of London, which can be somewhat of a nightmare.

Please remember the anecdote of: In the USA, 100 years is a long time. In the UK, 100 miles is a long way.

;)

Statia, try the towel swing. It'll exaggerate the flaws in your technique and teach you to do the swing properly.

Statia,
We are working on a User Course for the UK and will post details here when available.

Did you have your Back evaluated by a medical pro?

video may allow for a form check

Statia, try the towel swing. It'll exaggerate the flaws in your technique and teach you to do the swing properly.

Towel swings are a great way to get the groove. Word of caution though - don't do it on a nice floor. It is easy to have the towel a bit too long and smack the ground.

two things you can do:

1. upload a vid

2. perhaps set up a video call with an sfg then go from there...

I got myself a nice 24kg bell this week (I'm in the UK and got a Wolverson Black Series bell from their eBay store) and I'm really impressed with the build quality of it. I'll be getting a 32kg bell from them when I'm ready to move up.

My back pain is feeling much better now, so I'm now doing all of my get-up's with the 16kg bell and I'm doing a mix of two handed swings with the 24kg and one handed swings with the 16kg.

Working with the 24kg has really taken out the consistency of form I had when swinging the 16kg bell, which was obviously too light for me to do two handed swings with. I'm only doing two or three sets out of the ten with the 24kg and its giving me a run for my money. I enjoy swinging it.

Thanks everyone for their input and suggestions, especially @Kettlebelephant for suggesting mixing the 24kg bell into the mix with the 16kg.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom