all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Should I start using chalk?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

MattM

SFG1
This is going to sound really stupid. I've been training seriously on and off for the past 10 years or. I've never used chalk. While doing 1 hand swings with a 40kg tonight I realized that it might be time.

1. Does it make that much of a difference?

2. I train in my living room. If I was careful could I not make a mess?

3. Any types and/or brands better than others?

@MattM, the only way to know is to try it. My guess? If you haven't used chalk in 10 years, don't start now. Work on your grip and it will improve - be patient, don't overtrain it, and do some swings with a 48 kg.

-S-

I use chalk and there is no going back for me.

I use it sparingly and it drifts everywhere. My basement is covered and when I use my grippers in the living room I put newspaper down; it still gets everywhere.

There is only magnesium carbonate. All sports chalks are the same. Never tried liquid chalk though.

Thanks for the replies.

@Steve Freides it's not so much grip strength as it is conditions. Sometimes my hands just will not stay dry. If the temp and humidity are just right and I have nice manicured calluses I'm good to go.

I like "Firm Grip" powder from Cramer Sports Medicine. It comes in a shaker bottle so it isn't quite as messy as chalk. A small amount goes a long way. The only down side is I think it dries out the skin a bit, I've had calluses crack which I think was caused by the chalk but I don't have proof that's what caused it. For long swing sessions I also use sweat bands on the wrists. The terry cloth kind worn by baseball players.

I find chalk helps, particularly when the weather is going from cold to warm. It usually take a couple of days for my kettle bells to catch up and they have damp clammy handles. Drying them with a towel and a bit of chalk on the hands does wonders.

It does get everywhere though.

My hands sweat a lot and the chalk helps in that regard. Don't overdue it though as you can dry out your hands and make it worse. After I do my practice in the morning I use a pumice stone on my hands in the shower I then use Corn Huskers on my hands to keep them from being too dry.

I live in the Houston area, and there's nothing worse (well, there's probably something) than trying to do snatches on a particularly humid morning. My hands are humid to start with, and moisture condenses on the bell too, so even toweling my hands and the bell handle between sets is of little help. It always feels like my callouses are primed to come off.

With all that complaining, I've never used chalk. Summer is coming soon, so I guess it's fortunate I'm focusing on bodyweight right now.

There are several liquid chalk options out there. The chalk is mixed with fast evaporating liquid and you are left with chalked hands, no need to reapply. I haven't tried it yet, but plan to when my regular supply runs out.

So I finally tried chalk and loved it! What a difference. Will be purchasing some. My swing felt so much more powerful being 100% confident in my grip.

Haha, that's awesome.

We go to a climbing gym, so I just buy a block of chalk whenever I need one. It tends to crumble and flake apart pretty easily. The dust definitely spreads when you use it.

FWIW, I used to use a chalk ball. The same issues of powder floating around are still there, but to a lesser degree. You can find them online or at REI.

I use the Mueller athletic chalk they sell at the Big 5 down the road. $6 bucks and so far it has lasted me 6 months and at this rate should last another 1.5 years....

Are there different kinds (not brands)?

I used just your average write on the blackboard chalk. I'm guessing it's the same stuff?

All I know is the Mueller chalk seems to stay on my hands better than the Rogue brand that the local SFG gym has. I think it is all the same stuff really but maybe it is processed/mixed differently. Not sure.

Since we work out in a climbing gym, I'll just buy a new block for $2 whenever I need one. I'm not sure if there are different types of not.

Edit: Sorry. This is basically exactly what I wrote above. :D:oops::eek:

I used to keep mine in a ziploc bag and apply it carefully over the bathroom sink. You can certainly minimize the mess

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom