all posts post new thread

Nutrition Should i worry...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

LEGENDARY70

Level 2 Valued Member
Hello all.

First off let me give everyone here a shout out!!! Yall have been very helpful with your advice. THANK YOU!!

I have noticed since I went on this diet my urine has a strong kind of musty smell to it. why? is it normal? I drink about a gallon of water a day....

At night when i lay in bed a watch some tv my body feels kinda unsettling, tingly and uncomfortable. not sure if they are some side effects of this diet or something else?

i went to get some bloodwork done to see if i am doing better than before this diet. i am diabetic jjust as an fyi.

overall i feel good. i can see without my glasses (reading ones), i dont get up serveral times a night to pee, etc.

any advice would be good. im going to get my blood results tomorrow. thx

i am diabetic ... I have noticed since I went on this diet my urine has a strong kind of musty smell to it. ... At night when i lay in bed a watch some tv my body feels kinda unsettling, tingly and uncomfortable.

I wouldn't change anything about your diet, given your medical condition, without consulting your doctor, and likewise would report any changes to your doctor.

i went to get some bloodwork done to see if i am doing better than before this diet.

This seems good and, again, should be reviewed with your doctor.

-S-

got back from dr. blood work came back awesome. blood sugar went from a 354 about 3 months ago to a 118. Dr said i am doing amazing and to keep it up. he took me off my meds. wow!!! He attributed my uneasiness and being uncomfortable to stress and maybe anxiety.

thank u

got back from dr. blood work came back awesome. blood sugar went from a 354 about 3 months ago to a 118. Dr said i am doing amazing and to keep it up. he took me off my meds. wow!!! He attributed my uneasiness and being uncomfortable to stress and maybe anxiety.

thank u
When I’m in ketosis my pee smells like buttery popcorn. But not in the good way. Could that be it?

That probably is the smell.
I have a couple questions for you - it's important to point out I'm not your doctor, so I can't give you medical advice.

Questions:

1. How long have you been doing this (sounds like a full ketogenic diet?)
2. Is the diabetes type 2?
3. Are you now on zero medications?

I have a couple questions for you - it's important to point out I'm not your doctor, so I can't give you medical advice.

Questions:

1. How long have you been doing this (sounds like a full ketogenic diet?)
2. Is the diabetes type 2?
3. Are you now on zero medications?
Sorry Wily. Been away for a bit.

I have been doing carnivore going on 3 months more or less. I do eat approx. 15 carbs a day, if that.
Type 2
Yes, I am now off my meds with DR's permission.

Why do you ask?

Sorry Wily. Been away for a bit.

I have been doing carnivore going on 3 months more or less. I do eat approx. 15 carbs a day, if that.
Type 2
Yes, I am now off my meds with DR's permission.

Why do you ask?

Hey that's all great news!

Reason I asked: for T2 diabetes on meds, going on a ketogenic diet or carnivore diet isn't particularly safe, in that it could lead to a severe hypoglycemic episode. Example - metformin inhibits gluconeogenesis, so if you don't eat any carbohydrates, metformin is making it harder for you to make a little glucose to keep blood glucose stable. So if you had been on meds, trying to do it all on your own, I would have suggested you check out Virta (virtahealth.com) or something, as a telemedicine platform that is helping people safely and comfortably make the switch.

BUT - sounds like you have a great doctor, and you're past all that! Congrats!

The answer about funny smelling urine: early on, when you achieve ketosis, excess ketones in the blood just get dumped via the kidneys (which is why some ketogenic disciples pee on the strips - early on, you pee out a ton of acetone, and turn those things purple!) and that's what you smell. First time I ever tried "Atkins" I knew the moment I'd flipped into ketosis because my eyes were almost watering from the acetone wafting up ?

The other thing though - that usually goes away. After a few months or so, maybe a bit longer, the hypothesis is that you get better at using those ketones as fuel, etc., your liver makes them as needed, and you won't be peeing them out all the time anymore. Many ketogenic disciples have complained online that after several months they can't "get into ketosis" anymore because they don't turn the strips purple - but if they tested their blood, they'd likely find they are well into ketosis, they're just not dumping acetone as much.

I am really excited for you! There is a very significant chance that you'll be in remission from T2 diabetes indefinitely, be able to stay off meds, and no longer be at risk for any of the long term complications associated with it. This will likely be evidenced by your HbA1C getting better and better in the near future. I'm also delighted to answer any additional questions of course!

Thank you Wily!! Great info. I will definitely reach out if needed. I opened another post a bit ago. if you can read it that would be great.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom