all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Should you run?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

conor78

Level 6 Valued Member
I've always run at least once a week in in my thirties. In 39 now and over the last two years I've cycled through different protocols..easy strength...tactical barbell...S/S..O.S and I've supplemented this with running LSS style. I have entered 5k 10 k etc but running has never been my focus. At 215lbs and 6 2 I'm not built for running although I've always enjoyed the headspace it provides.
The last 6 months I haven't really run at all apart from hill sprints and the odd 3k run as I've been focusing on swings, goblets and TGU. I hit 13000 steps a day based on my fitbit. I suppose what I'm thinking now is should you run if you can run?

To me it's always going to be the same old answer... it depends.
It depends upon the path you are following; what you are training for, what your aspirations are. The list is endless.
Likewise it also depends upon how you define running; as that in itself can be extremely varied.

I have had friends 'bigger' than you that enjoyed and benefited from running.

My journey has running in it; others will not.

That's true.. I've friends who run quite a bit and in fairness they always struggle with niggly injuries. I had plantar F two years ago and it was a nightmare. I don't really set goals as such as my work life balance is congested and can change from week to week. When I committed to a purely barbell program it would frustrate me as I ended up missing sessions as I had to drive to the gym. That's why S and S and running was useful as they were accessible. Hitting 40 next year and just thinking about whether I need to retain running in my weekly programme. Companies like Strength Matters over here are putting more emphasis on locomotion/cardio delivered through rowing but rowing bores me to tears...

I think you should run and stated elsewhere on this forum why. It's our nature to run and one of the big aspects why we evolved to be the apex species of the planet.

For the amount of running you should do I'm with @offwidth that it depends.
If you do a lot of walking or rucking and some sprinting sessions, you can keep jogging to a minimum IMO (e.g. one longer run every 2 weeks), but everyone should do it a couple of times per month.

If you can't run fix the issues that prevent you from doing so. Original Strength is a great resource here, because the ultimate reset in the system is running and you're led there slowly via the other resets.

If you truly can't run, because of things like knee joint replacements or stuff like that at least get in a good amount of walking or rucking. IIRC @Rif is a good example for that.

Went to see a physio and he worked with me on tightness in the calves. No issues in over a year. Probably for me it's a seasonal thing too. As winter draws in it's more time efficient to do kettlebell work than drive to a track or to somewhere that's appropriate to run on. Trail running is fantastic though I can only work that in in the weekend. I actually
enjoy running though nowhere near enough to focus on it as my sole enterprise. Just bought a new 40kg kettlebell. Ive had the same running shoes for 2 years. The iron is magnetic.

I suppose what I'm thinking now is should you run if you can run?
Then I suppose you should run. :)

I think some relaxed, easy exercise that raises your heart rate is good for everyone. For me, it's mostly walking.

But a few months ago, I added a little running to my program after not doing any for a decade or more. So far, I'm liking it, but I must emphasize just how little I'm running - I do about 5 blocks worth in my neighborhood, and I do it 2-3 times per week. It's a 5 minute activity, tops.

The good thing about my little bit of running is that my resting pulse is a few ticks lower, but it's not a free lunch - I've found it definitely worsens my deadlifting done later in the same day, and just generally tires me out in a way that walking for an hour or more doesn't, and I don't enjoy that aspect of it much at all.

One thing I think gets overlooked in training plans is periodization - no one says you have to run all the time. Drop it for a few months or a few years, pick it back up again when you feel like it.

JMO, YMMV.

-S-

I've always run at least once a week in in my thirties. In 39 now and over the last two years I've cycled through different protocols..easy strength...tactical barbell...S/S..O.S and I've supplemented this with running LSS style. I have entered 5k 10 k etc but running has never been my focus. At 215lbs and 6 2 I'm not built for running although I've always enjoyed the headspace it provides.
The last 6 months I haven't really run at all apart from hill sprints and the odd 3k run as I've been focusing on swings, goblets and TGU. I hit 13000 steps a day based on my fitbit. I suppose what I'm thinking now is should you run if you can run?

13K steps per day is pretty good. You are getting a good dose of easy aerobic exercise, which comes with a big health payoff. The question is, do you want to preserve that run ability? The older you get, the faster it goes, and the harder it is go get it back. Just a little maintenance is all it takes to slow that decline. Steve's approach is a good one. At 50 what I have lost the most is sprinting ability. I now wish that I had preserved that better. It's really hard to get it back now. That and jumping.

Hello,

@conor78
If you can run 1 or 2 a week, just as a maintenance program (no meet or specific goal, just "overall health") then I'd go for it. I guess 1h run at 10-12km/h is good (not taxing, good booster). Otherwise, what about rucking ? Otherwise, I also go for "simple solutions": I do not use elevators, etc...

I notice that when I do extensive amount of walk (during holidays for instance), it perfectly maintains my cardio (when I do swings or snatches).

Kind regards,

Pet'

If you enjoy the Headspace then yes, if it is a chore, you don't like it and can't be arsed then don't. I'm pro running but if you don't like doing it but feel pressured to do so because you feel you should for some arbitrary reason then there are other ways, as you know.

At 50 what I have lost the most is sprinting ability.

Never too young to rip it up a bit. Entering a masters sprint event next month at 53. An open athletic meet for the over 35s and currently out running like the wind, well a gentle breeze, you know!

I’m in the same situation as you. Been following tactical barbell for a year and always get my LSS runs in atleast once every other week. Usually more often. I’ve always disliked the idea of running but feel better when I’m actually doing it. It also has benefits to your heart that transfer directly to weightlifting. I’m also around 215lbs so I Just coast on my runs and watch my HR. If I don’t want to run as often I will throw on a pack and go hiking which also has great benefits and breaks it up a little

I actually do enjoy it, I think the sweet spot for me is once a week for 4-6km mostly on a trail on mountain trek. I'm not interested in times or improving my running performance,just using it as recharge. I feel good after a run but at 220 lbs any more than once a week and my calves and ankles start letting me know about it. I have moved back into S/S and running once a week and it feels good.

I run. Love it! Done about 8 races. From tough mudder to half marathons. Now while on SS Im taking taking a break from running until Simple, then I’ll bring it back!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom