all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Should you ...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Butch

Level 1 Valued Member
use the heels when doing cleans or snatches?

What's the Strong First way?

use the heels when doing cleans or snatches?

What's the Strong First way?
@Butch, our clean is based on our swing, and our swing's basic motion is trying to throw the bell across the room in front of you - but you hang onto it instead and it carves and arc in the air, ending up about belly or chest height in front of you.

For a clean, the motion from the backmost point is like a swing, but unlike a swing, we keep the upper arm in contact with the torso so the arc scribed in the air by the kettlebell is much smaller, and we bring it smoothly to rest in the rack position.

The snatch is also based on the swing, and although the path different individual use will vary, we generally keep the bell close in front of us by bending at the elbow, and then we finish by crisply "punching out" the kettlebell in the overhead position.

In the case of both the swing and the clean, the hips snap should finish first, followed by the bell continuing to its chest-high or overhead finishing position with no addition dip.

Hope this helps.

-S-

We drive the heels into the ground for cleans and snatches to explosively extend the hips. It's about power production. Heel lifting (not to mention shoulder shrugging) often comes from practicing barbell cleans and snatches so it can take time to change the patterning. I clarify with my students kettlebell cleans and kettlebell snatches vs barbell cleans and barbell snatches.

We drive the heels into the ground for cleans and snatches to explosively extend the hips. It's about power production. Heel lifting (not to mention shoulder shrugging) often comes from practicing barbell cleans and snatches so it can take time to change the patterning. I clarify with my students kettlebell cleans and kettlebell snatches vs barbell cleans and barbell snatches.

Swings project forward, Olympic lifts project upward. Swings are a hinge, Olympic lifts are a jump. I prefer to keep my weight mid foot, but I have been practicing the Triple Extension Two Hand Swing.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom