all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Shoulder blade injury?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

cbass

Level 2 Valued Member
Hi,

I discovered S&S a few months ago and absolutely love it. I'm really bummed, though, because I've got some shoulder blade pain (in the area close to the middle of my back). I think I got it from some poor form during my TGUs (Maybe my shoulder wasn't packed properly? Maybe my working arm with the bell wasn't locked?). My question is: I'm guessing I should stay away from the bell until this is fully healed with no more pain?

Thanks.

Hi,

I discovered S&S a few months ago and absolutely love it. I'm really bummed, though, because I've got some shoulder blade pain (in the area close to the middle of my back). I think I got it from some poor form during my TGUs (Maybe my shoulder wasn't packed properly? Maybe my working arm with the bell wasn't locked?). My question is: I'm guessing I should stay away from the bell until this is fully healed with no more pain?

Thanks.

I think that really depends on what's going on. From a spinal perspective on the TGU (as a chiropractor evaluating a case and not giving advice), you could have any number of things going on between your head, neck and upper spine that could affect your shoulders & shoulder strength. All of that is worth getting checked out, especially if you're dealing with any pain. Personally, I find that sharp pain is usually something out of alignment vs dull ache being a sprain/strain type situation or simply a weak muscle.

From a strength standpoint:
I know when I started to get back to S&S this year, I started light. I've been 2H swinging the 24 like a toy, but 1H just wiped me out. 2H with the 32 was right out too for anything more than 5-reps at a time. In regards to the shoulder, I consider the swing a pull exercise (vs the TGU as a push), and I've needed to develop strength per the outline Pavel laid out for progression. 20/24kg bells slowly ramped me up to more and more sets (currently 2/8 for swings with 20/24). I've always found a 16 to be too light for 1H swings for me, but 20 is spot on for increasing the strength.

For your case, you may need to start with a lighter weight on the TGU (maybe a bell weight in between weights you have) to allow the strength to recover & heal in the shoulder. This also allows you to focus on your form, especially dialing in that Tai Chi speed to hit all points. I have a 55-lb bell that I use for my light press that has come to feel like a toy. But it also serves as a meditative wake-up before the next 4 sets with my 32, reminding me of my positions & where I need to focus on different muscle groups. My progression on the TGU illustrates my strength in presses vs pulls (i.e. swings), and the need to re-evaluate where your strength may be as you work on things.

Hope that helps!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom