all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Shoulder discomfort. FMS or FRC or what else?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Saehyun Choi

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello,

I'm curious about what are the differences between FMS and FRC.
Also, I wonder which one would best suit my case.

I'm a SFG1&SFB suffering from a shoulder discomfort for a long period.
I had surgery on my left shoulder due to SLAP (superior labral tear from anterior to posterior) ten years ago.
I can tell that my mobility, control, and stability of my left shoulder fall short of those abilities of the opposite shoulder.

I went on searching for what would be the best way to fix the problem.
I drew a conclusion that I seek for help from a FMS or FRC practitioner.
But I don't see any practitioner in the town. Even if there is, I'm afraid I won't be able to spare time to visit him/her cause I work during the daytime and take care of my baby during the night time.
So, I decided to just learn it and do a self-treatment.

I found that FMS and FRC are both offered online now.
Which one would you recommend?

------------------------------------------------------
I'm a SFG1, SFB, Animal flow Lv1, GFM Lv2, Original strength Lv1, FS indian club instructor.
I had surgeries on my left shoulder, left wrist, right knee. (I'm all cleared to exercise without restrictions.)

I'm a SFG1&SFB suffering from a shoulder discomfort for a long period.
Injuries are definitely no fun. In my experience, any certified FMS or FRC practitioner will immediately refer you to a medical professional if you are already experiencing chronic pain. They are not going to put you through a battery of assessments and hope things just get better.

"So, I decided to just learn it and do a self-treatment."

Again, my opinion, but this is just guess work as you do not know what the source of the problem is.

I am not qualified to offer an advice, so it’s just my own experience.
Had my labrum surgically repaired as well and it’s not as mobile as the other one too. My doctor told me that it is designed to be so because surgery was meant to repair instability. So I don’t think it is possible to restore 100% of it’s range of motion.
Regarding FMS and FRC, I had the same idea as you. I think at FRC and FMS are quite different. FMS I meant to asses you, fix if needed and let you do your main activity. FRC and Kinstretch are more of a independent training systems, strength training of your joints as they say.
Considering you are quite accomplished trainer already I think you’ll benefit more from FRC, why don’t you try some Kinstretch online class and see how it feels?
Regarding advice to see medical professional, it wouldn’t hurt of course but if it’s not pain and just discomfort I don’t think they have an answer. Maybe in your country it is different, but here in Spain, doctor will immediately send you for MRI and if there is no major issue that needs surgery will send you to physiotherapy, which is essentially the same as FRC or FMS.

I have also had a labrum surgically repaired. My rom may not be like it was, but it’s not too bad. Good enough to climb at a fairly high level. Hard to compare to my other shoulder because the ‘good’ one is really the jacked up one now. Some bodies recover from that type of surgery better than others, and sadly not all surgeons are created equal...

I would certainly have it addressed by a medical professional if it is causing you issues

I found that FMS and FRC are both offered online now.
Which one would you recommend?

FRC might help, but given that everyone's bodies and injuries are unique, it may not provide everything necessary to heal your shoulder. You will be best off working with a physical therapist who understands your athletic goals.

FMS is a system based on regional interdependence, etc.
FRC, as I am led to understand (I am not certified nor studied in depth) is a set of strategies to improve mobility.

In my view, FRC is one type of strategy (DNS, PRI, KFC, whatever) that fits into a broader systemic strategy.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom