all posts post new thread

Bodyweight shoulder extension

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ali

Level 7 Valued Member
Currently ropping and enjoying it. I'm varying my variety days and one thing I'm working on is improving shoulder extension. So skinning the cat on my rings, a fine shoulder extension choice that it is.....is it the best one though? And if not, any other movements I should employ? Thanks in advance....

Currently ropping and enjoying it. I'm varying my variety days and one thing I'm working on is improving shoulder extension. So skinning the cat on my rings, a fine shoulder extension choice that it is.....is it the best one though? And if not, any other movements I should employ? Thanks in advance....
Skin the Cats are excellent for building passive shoulder extension flexibility. You can do a similar exercise on the floor (think reverse plank, but lean forward so your shoulders are in front of your hands... Google as needed).

You also want to build up shoulder extension active mobility. That can be done by raising a broomstick behind you backwards (it will feel like your triceps and shoulders are very tight). The Reverse Plank is good too.

Passive+Active mobility will go a long way.

Reactions: ali
Hello,

@ali
Think I'm lacking the bendy gene.
I do not think you are lacking anything! Shoulder flexibility and flexibility in general are quite long to get. For instance, it took me 3 years to barely get the front split, with an almost daily practice hehe.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Thank you guys. Think I'm lacking the bendy gene.

I here you. It is a lot of work for me as well, always has been. I love how flexibility videos from Original Strength, Kelly Starret, etc. make it seem so simple and easy. I think to myself "Yeah, if I could do that, I would not need to do that."

Hello,

Yoga practice also helps quite a lot to overall flexibility. Maybe it can be worth considering, just to test and see how it goes.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Thank you guys. Think I'm lacking the bendy gene.
Shoulder extension is a particularly cruel mistress. It's possible to improve it to an extent, but as you said, unless you have good genes for it, don't expect it to be mind-blowing.

Ido Portal in particular has even said in the past that while most flexibility feats are doable (splits, full Bridge, etc) something like the Manna (which requires inhuman shoulder extension) is pretty much territory of gymnasts. It's taken me many months to only slightly improve it so it's a hard path :/

Very interesting you say that @305pelusa. A couple of years ago I suspended my attempts at a ring muscle up. I can do false grip pulls, full dips with turn out at the top but that transition just failed me. At a gym I had a spotter to assist me in that transition with a tiny aid at the very point I needed it. It revealed to me that, for whatever reason, that I was having mobility restrictions not strength. And I thought then 'OK, I'll get it someday but I'm not ready for it yet'. I was beginning S&S and after asking about combining all the stuff I was doing decided with advice from this very forum and focused on S&S.
Then after listening to a Christopher Sommer podcast he warned against setting a muscle up goal, especially for us older peeps, if lacking in shoulder extension......a bicep tendon tear awaits for those ill prepared. Made a lot of sense to me and thankfully, I felt, the decision I made to put it on hold was a good one. It still is a goal.....at the appropriate time. I'm not working on it just now. I'm roping, press and snatch focused. So variety days I skin the cat for some prep, pulls are in the rop anyway and maybe I'll get on the dips on more focused MU work after this run through but it is if and buts when that comes around. And anyway I could do with the shoulder mobility regardless.
It's reassuring what you are saying. It is easy to get carried away without addressing some foundational preparation and maybe certain movements will take longer than others and compared to others. So always good to know others have similar but not insurmountable issues. Just time and patience. Cheers.

Hello,

@ali
Maybe you can do it with a bar ? The technique is slightly different. There is less rotation work

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet' , you mean skinning the cat or MUs? I have rings, bars outside nearby. I do daily dislocates with a broomstick or with my dog lead whilst out walking the mutt. Sounds as if I'm a stiff old tin man which is partly true I suppose but I move pretty well in general, balanced 2s and 3s fms. Can always move better though, of course, that's a given. A lot of more extreme movement pathways may well take me some time. There is a balance somewhere, gaining shoulder rom and bridging are my 2 that I seek greater range in, at the moment, not forgetting my hips, knees, ankles, haha! Always a work in progress.....

Hello,

@ali
you mean skinning the cat or MUs?
I mean MUs. Indeed there is no wrist rotation (and so shoulder rotation) with the bar version.

I am sure this video will be clearer than I am ! ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Yoga practice also helps quite a lot to overall flexibility. Maybe it can be worth considering, just to test and see how it goes.

Kind regards,

Pet'
Second the suggestion to incorporate yoga for overall mobility and also to just feel great at end of the session, very scalable depending upon whether you want a workout or just a deload day. Lots of sources available- one to consider is yoga with Adriene on YouTube. Namaste ;)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom