all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Shoulder mobility for TGU

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kai333

Level 1 Valued Member
Hey guys, I've been doing the Simple and Sinister program for a few weeks and my shoulder has never felt right during the stand up portion of the get up. I do not think I have the proper mobility to push my shoulder back to my ear without unpacking it slightly or hyperextending my back. What are some drills/stretches that would help with this?

I have had success with using a foam roller in the child’s pose:

Then foam rolling my lats.

Foam roll the lats (under the scapula and right in the back of your armpit). And as @offwidth suggested, arm bars. I'd also add crooked arm bars.

I was just looking into this today. I have a left shoulder imbalance I am working on.

Arm bars and waiter walks with a very light weight. See a physio for pain of course.

This is my personal list because they are both easy and effective and don't require bands, equipment or lying down.

I have learned that the shoulder like the hip is a complicated and we can't really separate the overhead shoulder from the scapula, lat, and thoratic mobility. I find it better to do them throughout the day rather than a special mobility session, which I never seem to keep up consistently. Or fit them in for rest periods for lower body work. I don't believe in the physio model where isolated corrective exercises a few minutes a few times a week are doing to do much. A GTG approach where you do them daily and frequently seems necessary (like stretching in general).

As I found out with the military barbell press in my own experience and Gray Cook's admonition not to load disfunction, if you don't have basic shoulder health, you probably should not be pressing heavy or in volume. I got my FMS screen left shoulder from 1 to 2 which is normal (out of 3) by doing corrective exercises. Here they are.

Really easy but effective. Thoratic focus.
Tip: Instantly Increase Upper-Body Mobility | T Nation

1. Google world's greatest stretch

You can also reach back when in the squat position after a goblet squat set during s&s.
2. Max Shank thoratic bridge.
3. Wall slides
4. Spina's arm rotations Shoulder Mobility with Dr. Andreo Spina
5. Reach behind the back stretch from FMS Test yourself. FMS - Shoulder Mobility
6. Lat stretch Posture Correction Exercise | PNF Lat Stretch + T Spine Mobilization This one might even be painful if your lats/shoulders are really tight.
7. Crucifix Crucifix Stretch do them every hour on the hour at work breaks.
8. Original strength head nods. Do them all day at work. The neck and thoratic spine are connected. You may feel a little click or pop when you do nods. It is like the good crack you can get from foam rolling your spine.

The book flexible steel Jon Engum has good principles and insights as well as a daily routine. For some reason, I can get myself to do exhausting press ladders but not a simple, consistent, daily mobility routine. Go figure.

Last edited:
I would try
a) Pullovers with a light kb or a light weight plate (10 lbs / 5 kg or so). It's part of the Flexible Steel program.
b) Passive hangs (probably after some foam rolling of the lats).
c) Dead bugs (check original strength). Try to get the arm to the ground without arching your lower back.

Pullovers have only to be done once or twice a week in a strength rep range (3-10). Follow the instructions from the link below. When you do them, try to find the right amount of shoulder rotation (armpits forward)
The 4 Weeks to Flexible Steel Program - Flexible Steel

Seriously, I believe that mobility has to be done almost daily: Crawling, Original Strength resets etc. But strength based exercises such as the pullover can bring great results with only one session per week and 3 sets total. I am currently following a mobility program by bodyflexx (you can find him on instagram) and most exercises are only done one day per week.

Waiter walks. They seem to help for me. I have something similar with left shoulder

I have a similar problem with my right throwing shoulder from 30 years of football and baseball. I was able hit simple as well as a 70# bent press but it still not right. I can't seem to break it loose.

Attachments

• 20180612_103508.jpg
    20180612_103508.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20180612_103514.jpg
    20180612_103514.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 16
Option 1: FMS certified SFG. Best option.

Option 2: Foam rolling, crocodile breathing, kettlebell armbars & pullovers, various types of hangs.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom