all posts post new thread

Old Forum Shoulder mobility

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Okay, nobody responded when I asked if anyone improved shoulder mobility with Original Strength resets.  The kettlebell gym I go to uses OS extensively.  I think it makes all the sense in the world.  After all, how in the world was anyone able to function for the past few thousand years?  They grew up going through all of the progressions that normal babies go through, and then lived a life of resets rather than sit at a desk.  Otherwise, there wouldn't have been an army that could field men capable of throwing spears or fighting with swords.

Paul,

Here is what you should do next.  Yes the leg raise takes priority but you COULD apply both lower extremity mobility work with some shoulder and thoracic mobility.  You should not do trunk stability as well as this is a stability pattern.

We work mobility patterns first.

Apply the mobility exercise WHATEVER it may be and then recheck the leg raise and seated rotation.  If it improves the leg raise then you continue to do the application.  If it does not improve the leg raise then its just not the application to use at this time.  You can also check seated rotation but remember the shoulder mobility may not improve until you can come into a leg raise cold and show a passing score.

All the exercise applications stated here are great, JUST AS LONG as they improve your score.  This will help you find the exercises which make the most improvement on your mobility.

Once you have found 1-2 exercises which improves your leg raise then we will talk more about stability training to help reinforce these patterns.

Happy hunting.

Thanks Mark.  Sounds like great advice.  I'll set to work on some thoracic mobility and take it from there.  Sorry to harp on about it, but whilst implementing these exercises would you consider KB strong 3 days per week to be a good idea to continue with some strength gains? After working through 10 sets of 1 C&P I was comfortably overhead, ensuring I stayed with tight abs, glutes, etc.

Again, I very much appreciate your advice and opinions.

Big thanks!!

Jeffrey-

I used OS exclusively for 8 months, in the beginning I made improvements, then I locked up worse than before.  I will take responsibility for this and not claim that it is impossible to fix through those specified regressions alone.  I went to the OS seminar and learned a lot, and have nothing but respect and admiration for Geoff and Tim.  Two very strong and admirable men and I'm blessed to have met both.

OS, the FMS, and many other systems of practiced are based on the neurodevelopmental sequence, the blueprint for how we all learn movement.  We need mobility to gain stability and motor control.  You can't compare yourself or anyone to an infant as they have unlimited mobility as they haven't had to compensate for years or decades like adults.  They don't have tissue and/or other serious issues and are clean slates upon which they can learn stability and motor control.

Why did I lock up?  Because my mobility was SEVERELY compromised and mobility is needed before stability and motor control can be attained.  I don't see how my hips and shoulders would have ever improved through the specific OS resets alone as I was in desperate need of A LOT of deep soft-tissue work to gain mobility along with specific postural work.  I've also needed manual therapy techniques to unlock my shoulders, hips and ankles which upon reflecting have been compromised since I was playing little league and basketball as a child.

I still roll, rock, occasionally crawl a few paces, when appropriate, along with many other postures and movements that some amazing people have taught me.  Since I expanded my personal movement practice my FMS has gone from around a 9 to around a 16 and my SM issues of the last 20+ years are close to being resolved.  My SM was horrendous, 2- / 1- if such a thing was possible.

I'll reiterate that I do not fault OS for my movement regression last year so as not to offend anyone :)

Paul,

there is a grey line here when trying to determine which exercises help, which exercises actually reinforce improper compensations, and which exercises neither help or hurt.

My rule is that you find something which helps first and foremost.  Then if you want to try some of your KB strong/C&P program you can but make sure you retest your leg raise and seated rotation.  If they go down then they are hurting at this current point and time.

If you truly want to earn your overhead lockout you may need to take 2 weeks and just really work on improving your leg raise and seated rotation.  Like I said you can have a pass on the seated rotation and leg raise with no mobility work whatsoever.  Then begin by supplementing some exercises one at a time and measuring your leg raise and seated rotation after.

Zach,

I don't think anyone could be offended with what you said.  It is possible for people to disagree on all kinds of things, but it is difficult to disagree with someone's story of what they did or what happened to them.  People can disagree about why something may have happened, but your story about what happened is valid and stands on its own merits.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom