all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Shoulder Packing Drills

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
At my Maxwell cert , he had us lie flat on back, arms straight above, pack the shoulders back and down to the floor.

A partner then pulled you up off the floor while you maintained plank and shoulder position.

Anna, thanks for that, it's timely for me. I'm teaching my wife to do KB deadlifts and I've been having her "swim" the bell back between her feet as she's going down, which I think is mentioned in the S&S book, if I remember. But the broom handle drill would be a great addition because it's hard for me to tell if she's pulling the shoulders down all the time.

I have a rather silly question. It seems to me that the shoulder packing is so extreme in this video provided? Are we to aim for that much exaggerated shoulder packing? Really ..really keep that shoulders back and down. Put the right shoulder into the left back pocket and such cues? That will result in an arch of the body, will it not, and is that desirable?

It seems to me that the shoulder packing is so extreme in this video provided? Are we to aim for that much exaggerated shoulder packing? Really ..really keep that shoulders back and down. Put the right shoulder into the left back pocket and such cues? That will result in an arch of the body, will it not, and is that desirable?

The more firmly you can pack the shoulder, the safer and more efficient your force transfer becomes.

I see what you're saying about the arch -- it appears to be so in the drills, but the shoulder packing doesn't cause it. Try the drills, hold your shoulders in that position, and then move your spine. The spine is free to move any which way while the shoulders are firmly packed. See if you can find your ideal hinge with the extreme shoulder packing. Move back and forth between the hinge and standing plank, holding your shoulders firmly packed. It is a good thing to seek....

I have a rather silly question. It seems to me that the shoulder packing is so extreme in this video provided? Are we to aim for that much exaggerated shoulder packing? Really ..really keep that shoulders back and down. Put the right shoulder into the left back pocket and such cues? That will result in an arch of the body, will it not, and is that desirable?
Abdul,

Great question!

These are just a couple of cue's, however this is not the only set of cue's. The shoulder packing is essential for shoulder health and strength. Now at the same time we don't want to hyperextend the lower back. We still want to maintain a short midsection while keeping the shoulders packed.

There is a give and take in this scenario. Try to find a happy medium.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your question and feedback.

– Hector

Thanks @Hector G for your feedback. Yes, short midsection and a happy balance. This video has helped me a lot; the shoulder packing is even better now.

The other day during pump stretch (I do this as mobility drills daily), when I focused on packing the shoulders using the clues provided here, I found that, I was able to squeeze the glutes much better; that wasn't the case before.

Never ceases to amaze me, how much there is to learn and improve on one single aspect even after two years, one that I thought I already knew.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom