all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Shoulder pain during press

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anatoly

Level 4 Valued Member
When i do a kettlebell press i hear a popping and grinding in my shoulder. Is this dangerous or preventable?

I have similar press symptoms and I discovered the root cause to be a stiff thoracic spine. It causes rounded shoulders and forward neck which severely limit overhead arm mobility; I have problematic overhead press mechanics, especially with kettlebells and barbells.

I'm working on foam rolling and other thoracic spine stretches which are starting to alleviate the problem, but it's early days yet.

Of course, you may have a totally different issue.

Noise is normal. Painful noise could be a cause of concern. As we age, parts of our body naturally break down or degenerate. Also, you could have a minor tear in your labrum or your rotator cuff. Again, this is perfectly fine unless there is terrible pain with it. Over the years, I’ve had diagnoses of a left shoulder labral tear, right shoulder rotator cuff tear and tears in both mensci. These cause no trouble whatsoever other than an occasional noise and do not hinder my workouts.....unless it’s a bad bent press.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom