all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Shoulder pain from inverted rows

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

John Kowalski

Level 2 Valued Member
Every time I do inverted or bent over rows I experience some discomfort in the anterior shoulder area (and often elbows too). There are some coaches who advocate using limited ROM so that the elbows don't drift behind the body, but most lifters pull the bar until it touches the chest/stomach area. Do you have any tips?

@John Kowalski
There isn't anything magical about position of the elbows being behind the body or not. The cue you mention is probably based on the idea that once the scapulae retract as far as they can go, any further extension of the arm is going to crank the head of the humerus against the anterior part of the shoulder socket.

I've been doing some rowing variations as part of my shoulder surgery rehab, and my injured shoulder IS sensitive to the range of motion, so I've learned to feel where my comfortable limit is.

So my main tip is this: if it hurts, don't do it.

You might experiment with the range of motion and see if you can do it without discomfort. If you can, great. If not, there may be something else (or something more) going on.

I think it might be that you do not pack your shoulders properly. Keep your shoulders down and back and your lats engaged.

Every time I do inverted or bent over rows I experience some discomfort in the anterior shoulder area (and often elbows too). There are some coaches who advocate using limited ROM so that the elbows don't drift behind the body, but most lifters pull the bar until it touches the chest/stomach area. Do you have any tips?
See a coach or experienced lifter if you can. Until then, don't do what hurts.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom