all posts post new thread

Barbell Shoulder position during a press

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Simply strong

Level 4 Valued Member
I watched an interview with mark Rippetoe in which he said to avoid shoulder impingement you should shrug at the top of a press. Aparently pulling the shoulder down angles the scapula toward the ligaments of the shoulder. I previously thought it was impossible to impinge the shoulder in overhead movements.

It’s my understanding that SF teaches a packed shoulder during overhead movements.

When I press a bar I like to internally rotate my humerus slightly at the top (like at the top of a jerk) but this isn’t possible with the narrower grip Ive found Im stronger using.

Is one or the other inherently unsafe/unhealthy for the shoulders?
What is the healthiest position for the shoulders to be in during a press?

@Simply strong
The links below have a lot of discussion of the idea of shoulder packing that may be helpful, or at least interesting:

Here is an article from Bret Contreras's site (the article is by Derrick Blanton) giving (IMO) a sensible and nuanced perspective on the term "shoulder packing":
When Coaching Cues Attack! "Packing the Shoulder" - Bret Contreras

Here is a thread on this forum where Derrick Blanton, the author of the above article, provides further explanation:
What is shoulder packing?

Here is an additional article from Bret Contreras's site (the article is by Joe Sansalone) attempting to clarify what is meant by shoulder packing:
Shoulder Packing - Bret Contreras

Besides the articles themselves, there is also a lot of interesting discussion in the comments section at the end of each article.

I think what @Steve W. is saying is that there is not a single right answer to this question. Or, at least, there is not a consensus. Happy reading :)

What I've found is that 1) barbell movements are a little different than kettlebell, overhead (personally, I do shrug up when pressing a barbell, and I do not when pressing a kettlebell), 2) to press overhead as StrongFirst teaches, it's more helpful to think of an active lat than specifically trying to put the shoulder down or back when overhead (in contrast, packing the shoulder by moving shoulders down and/or back is correct during a swing), and 3) there is considerable variation between individuals in how shoulders move and finding a good overhead position.

I would add to what Anna wrote that a properly connected shoulder has the scapular articulation/upward rotation it needs and there are times where "packing" the shoulder is overdone.

It can also be interesting to listen to Oly lifting coaches talk about the overhead position - the coaches I think are the best are ones who have their lifters try different things and have them do what works best for each lifter.

I'll also note that my preferred overhead position and cueing for a barbell and a kettlebell are different.

-S-

Is there a StrongFirst standard for the barbell press?

There are a set of standards in the SFL manual, yes, but none of them says specifically to shrug or not to shrug (to pack or not to pack) at the top of the press.

A lot of Oly coaches whose opinions I respect advocate not shrugging, but internally rotating at the top of an overhead barbell movement as a way of getting the upper back engaged. I have tried this and _really_ makes my shoulders feel better in the overhead position. So that's my press groove now - I start with a lot of lat involvement and external rotation but move toward internal rotation by the lockout. But no shrug.

I will be a student at the SFL in a few weeks and looking forward to getting some feedback on my approach.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom