all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Shoulder rehab/prehab~Hanging

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Thanks for those links. I bought that book a few years ago and had some improvement in my shoulder pain but not as much as I had hoped. I like the info in that Ido Portal blog because it recommends doing a combination of passive, active, and dynamic hangs. Dr Kirsch never explained in the book which type to do and it left me confused so I just did passive. I even wrote him an email and asked if he could clarify but I didn’t get a response. Like I said I did get some improvement but I think I’ll try it again and add some active and dynamic hangs in there as well and see if it helps. I also have back problems and nothing feels better on my back than passive hangs. I even bought an inversion machine but it mostly gathers dust because the passive hangs give me instant (albeit temporary) relief especially in the upper back region.

Just found this info on Dan John's forums in a post. Thumbnail of the research at the second link looks pretty compelling. Starting today.

The Hanging Month~Ido Portal

Book review ~ Essence of the methodology is dead hang from a bar
Shoulder Pain? The Solution & Prevention, Fourth Edition, The Kauai Study~John M. Kirsch, MD

From the StrongFirst RESILIENT manual:

StrongFirst RESILIENT Hanging Series is a straight arm hanging counterpart of a straight arm supporting Get-Up Series.

The benefits are many: spinal decompression, stretching out the lats, opening the shoulders, improving and strengthening the overhead position, improving the grip strength and grip endurance, etc.

In the Hanging Series we will focus on various types of hangs: passive, active and dynamic, bilateral and unilateral (i.e. two-arms, single arm), shoulder flexion and extension.
Hanging = good stuff. Very good stuff.

...plus there is an extensive extra article on various types of hanging which may be published at StrongFirst blog.

Doctor Kirsch's book is recommended reading.

Btw. I am in China now, and hanging is one of he most popular exercises here. There are kind of playgrounds for adults over here, with monkey bars and other equipment. 2 days ago I witnessed a lady probably in her 60s, hanging for at least minutes (!). The she jumped down, of course she had a great posture, healthy spine, and shoulders.

I like the info in that Ido Portal blog because it recommends doing a combination of passive, active, and dynamic hangs.
I'm no expert but I think Portal is wrong in saying to do the dynamic hangs/swings from dead hang as he does. That puts all the stress on ligaments instead of the muscles which is exactly what you do not want; I'm thinking asking for damage that way.

I've had a shoulder that's given me fits for about 8 or 9 years now, when it really flares keeping me awake at night. I've seen 2 PT's, a sports medicine Naturopath and an MD for it and done all sorts of rehab exercises extensively. But never hanging. Last quite a few months I have not really been able to do much overhead at all. Started hanging yesterday, short intervals GTG style since my grip is already getting very worked daily from my regular training. Interesting to me that I can hang pronated grip no problem but I tried neutral grip and immediately it felt like an icepick had been stabbing into the one shoulder. That hurt for several hours after. Soooo, pronated only at least for now.

OK, dumb question of the day. I am convinced that hanging would help my shoulder/wrist/thunb pain. The problem is that the ceiling in my basement/courage corner is too low to hang with my legs straight down. Which solution will work:

1) Hang with knees bent, or
2) Put hanging bar in my garage, or,
3) Either?

Jim

Hanging's great, because it's one of the surest ways to get the strengthen and engage the proper muscles to support and move the shoulder. It might take several weeks for someone with poor shoulder mechanics, but it gradually strengthens and connects the lats, upper back muscles, pecs to the shoulder/arm movements, so people with poor shoulder mechanics are not relying on the small stabilizer muscles (rotator cuff, etc) for shoulder movements anymore. From what I've seen in gyms, most people with poor shoulder mechanics do presses, dumbell exercises, etc. with heavier weights, and they're just exacerbating improper movements with more weight...til they get the operation...

OK, dumb question of the day. I am convinced that hanging would help my shoulder/wrist/thunb pain. The problem is that the ceiling in my basement/courage corner is too low to hang with my legs straight down. Which solution will work:

1) Hang with knees bent, or
2) Put hanging bar in my garage, or,
3) Either?

Jim

Jim, I would personaly emphasise the pre-hab function of hanging exercises - treating pain is out of scope of strength coach.

I agree with Pavel- didn't see the word Pain...that means something's hurt in there- let it get better (rest to start with?), proper medical help if needed, then start over from proper foundation. Putting more weight, movement on poor mechanics doesn't solve anything...sadly, because it's part of human nature...haha

Hanging feels so great in-between sets of get ups and is great as part of a mobility routine. One could maintain a really healthy spine and shoulders by bridging and hanging from a bar.

Having worked up the convict conditioning 2 progressions for the bar hang, it REALLY improves grip strength in a usable/functional way.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom