all posts post new thread

Barbell Shoulder Roll vs Lateral Arch

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JeffC

Level 7 Valued Member
Kelso’s Shrug Book by Paul Kelso

“What is the first thing that happens when the lifter begins to press? Most would say arm drive or explosion in order to gain enough height to allow the elbows to rotate into position (if that is the technique used) to begin the follow-through to lockout. Well,
look again. Powerlifting great Rickey Dale Crain and others have pointed out that the pectorals come into major play first in the bench press or should be followed by anterior deltoids and triceps.

Not only is there pectoral contraction and arm drive, but also a spreading of the lats and a shoulder thrust upward. The bar can be raised several inches with this spread and roll technique alone. Thick, strong lats are important in this style of benching, espe cially while the bar is being lowered into position and in the initial thrust.

Not all lifters do this lat flare or roll, as it is variously called. Some do it on purpose, some don't know to do it, and some do it and don't realize it. Many of the best do use this technique. Record breaker Rick Weill wrote about it in PLUSA in the late '80s, for one, describing the use of the back spread and shoulder girdle movement as a timed and sequential part of the lift requiring considerable practice. Chiropractor, lifter, and writer Keith Wassung has written about it in his column on the Cyberpump Internet site. Using the movements I call the Bench Shrug, the Shrug Dip, Spring Set Shrug and even the Lat Shrug can develop this spread and thrust. However, full range of motion rows and chins for the lats and other upper back muscles should not be neglected.”

I haven’t read this book in a while. This never stuck out to me before. Lateral Arch is not the only bench technique. The Shoulder Roll or Flare technique is definitely risked on the shoulders. Maybe you have to be a certain body type to take advantage of the Bench Shrug to move more weight. Does anyone have experience using this technique?

Some people use the Shoulder Roll off the chest or maintain the lateral arch and when they flare the elbows they Shrug the shoulders up and spread the lats to finish the lift. I try to maintain my lateral arch thruout the rep and flare the elbows half way up.

When people say push the bar straight up they must keep the elbow tucked thruout the rep and touch the bar to the upper abdomen. For me where I turn out the elbows to finish the lift I touch at about the sternum.

There is no right of wrong way to lift. Just a right or wrong way for you to lift. Sigmund Kline said about the Bent Press whenever I focus on technique I think how he talks about training a false style, and when things get heavy you will be limited by this false style, until you adapt your technique to find your strongest technique. Just like there are different ways to Squat and Deadlift, there are different styles of benchers and traits you could build with these different styles.

In Weightlifting it is very common for your technique to change and adapt to you body as you progress, but you always practice classic Technique to build your own technique on. People try to learn the Hip Clean, or Superman Pull, Crossfit technique before they spend sufficient time on the basics.

I am not saying go out and test yourself on the Shoukder Roll technique. It just interesting to think of another Bench Press style. If you try it please post your thoughts or experience.

In the book he recommends Bench Shrugs to increase stability for Lateral Arch benchers. I may add this to my Bench Day.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom