all posts post new thread

Barbell Shoulder stress while squatting

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Abdul-Rasheed

Level 6 Valued Member
The question is in the context of back squat. I am able to perform it high bar. However the shoulder is really strained before, during and especially after the a rep or two. Because of this I have not even attempted the low bar version. I am assuming this is shoulder mobility ? Any suggestion on corrective exercises? Thanks much.

@Abdul, please describe in more detail what you mean by "strained", e.g., do you feel like it's challenging to keep your shoulders back enough.

-S-

It may be a matter of lack of time under the bar. Does it happen just for one of your shoulders? My right one sometimes acts up, especially if I stopped squatting for several days/weeks.
I just read the posture for shoulders is very similar to a behind-the-neck press. A movement with not many friends among people, unless you are in the rehab business ;)

t may be a matter of lack of time under the bar. Does it happen just for one of your shoulders?
Yes. Lack of time surely. I am so new to this. In fact that was my first ever attempt. It happens for both shoulders. I suppose that is a good problem to have. :)

@Steve Freides That is exactly it. I find it challenging to keep my shoulders back enough and too support the bar with correct elbow/wrist position.
That's a thing to work on outside of your squatting a barbell, IMHO. Squat with a stick, or perhaps an empty barbell, and see if you can figure out what's your limiting factor.

Often time an apparent shoulder mobility issue is really a t-spine mobility issue. How's your Brettzel, and have you tried bent arm bars and regular arm bars?

-S-

The question is in the context of back squat. I am able to perform it high bar. However the shoulder is really strained before, during and especially after the a rep or two. Because of this I have not even attempted the low bar version. I am assuming this is shoulder mobility ? Any suggestion on corrective exercises? Thanks much.

As Steve suggested above, work on your T-spine mobility/extension as well, that helps tremendously.

The question is in the context of back squat. I am able to perform it high bar. However the shoulder is really strained before, during and especially after the a rep or two. Because of this I have not even attempted the low bar version.

Tight Shoulders

Your shoulder issue with Squatting might due to tight pectorals and weak posterior rotator cuff mucles (supraspinatus, infraspinatus, teres minor, and subscapularis). This condition creates shoulder pain in a stretched position.

Should this be your shoulder issue, there two things will correct it...

1) Exercises that Stretch the Pectorals.

2) Exercises that Strengthen the Rotator Cuff Muscles.

Kenny Croxdale

@Bill Been Sure. I will post a video as soon as I can. I will soon start training it as soon as I have regular access to proper squat rack or a stand. I know its a bummer. My office gym don't have one; and I have put in a request to accommodate it. If not, I intent to switch gym. Meanwhile I will do whatever I can to improve t-spine, shoulder mobility.

@Abdul Rasheed ...on most bars there are Powerlifting and/or Olympic marker rings (No knurling) .

1. Where are your hand in relation to the rings?
2. Are they closer to your shoulders or close to the weights?
3. Have you tried different positions with your hands?
4. Also have you tried having your thumb over the bar with your fingers instead of thumb under/ fingers over?

As mentioned above, some pics would allow us to get a good idea of what's going on.....

Carl in Dover

@Carl in Dover

1. Somewhere not too wide. Not too close. I think I should go wider at first as Bill Been mentioned above.
2. I don't remember now. I shall pay attention to these next time I squat
3. No. I have not. I squatted last Sunday in a group setting. I will have access to a squat rack soon. I realize now that I need to play with different hand positions and 'be friends' with the bar and get used to it.
4. Thumb over the bar (not thumbless) is what I tried. Does that make a difference?

I will post videos of it as soon as I can.

Thanks for your post and it helps me think about different variables that goes into the lift.

@Abdul Rasheed
Give some banded face pulls a try 3x15. They are great to activate the external rotators and relax the internal rotators which is sounds like you are in need of to low bar squat. Also, make sure you are making traps in the low bar position as a shelf for the bar.

@Antti made great progress in back rack flexibility and stability in some months. Check in with him and his training log. Start with what is accessible, and as you gain flexibility you work toward where you want to be:

I like exercises that resemble the position
- PVC or Dowel Rod Dislocates(my number 1 exercise I do multiple times a day), if you can get to where you can do full grip straight arm, clean grip or closer, Dowel Rod Dislocates, that will solve most upper body restrictions
- Klokov Press
- behind the Neck Press
- bent arm bar
- side rack and side Press
- doorway pec Stretch
- back pull(one of my favorites)
- wippet and shoukder shimmy

http://yoga-horizons.com/pdfs/Fatmans-Guide-to-Cable-Training-2.pdf

Last edited:
Had time to get that video for us to be able to help you yet? Over the last 2 months? Any luck with that?

@Antti made great progress in back rack flexibility and stability in some months. Check in with him and his training log. Start with what is accessible, and as you gain flexibility you work toward where you want to be:

I like exercises that resemble the position
- PVC or Dowel Rod Dislocates(my number 1 exercise I do multiple times a day), if you can get to where you can do full grip straight arm, clean grip or closer, Dowel Rod Dislocates, that will solve most upper body restrictions
- Klokov Press
- behind the Neck Press
- bent arm bar
- side rack and side Press
- doorway pec Stretch
- back pull(one of my favorites)
- wippet and shoukder shimmy

http://yoga-horizons.com/pdfs/Fatmans-Guide-to-Cable-Training-2.pdf

I can't remember everything that I did or have done. Most of it is in the logs. But what comes to mind:

-doorway stretch, a lot of this
-rubber band shoulder dislocations
-massage, both with fingers and massage balls, pecs, biceps, shoulders
-press behind the neck, or should it be called the Klokov press? Isn't the difference just the grip width? In any case, I use a wide grip, it's about the widest grip I use on any lift. I think this exercise is #1 when it comes to improving my mobility. But I suppose one should be warned that many consider the lift dangerous. For what it's worth, since we're on this site, Pavel sees the PBN as a fine exercise if you don't have restrictions for it, and actually recommends it as an effective flexibility exercise for squat grip woes in Beyond Bodybuilding. (That's a good book.)
-dumbbell flyes, to stretch the chest
-lots of time under the bar - likely the most important thing in general
-improvement in technique, like bringing my elbows more up front and closer to the sides, and eliminating any weight from the hands - the bar is 100% on the back only
-I have grown to like wrist wraps

I think it's the best to start with a grip width that's comfortable or just on the edge of it. Like from the collars, if need be. Then narrow the grip a tiny bit during each session between sets and then between sessions, while improving your form.

And of course, when I got to use bigger weights, the bar started bending nicely and it helps too.

Back when I started, I had my wrists on the bar by the uprights. My original goal was to have all of my fingers on the bar, since that's in the IPF rules. Now I think I get to bench grip width. I wouldn't call myself that flexible. But I'm past my original goals. I could say that I'm still getting better, but I'm not sure I'd call it better since I'm not sure if the extra flexibility is of any use. But I'm fairly sure it's of no harm, and I'll continue experimenting with different widths in the future.

From the exercises I did, I only do the PBN anymore. I suppose I rest in the doorway stretch position every now and then, but I don't really practice the stretch at all. I massage when needed.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom