all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Shrimp Squat for Fat Guys... Also a tip for balance

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JohnDoeman

Level 3 Valued Member
So I have been working and working on that pesky pistol for a long time, not able to get much lower than a 12 inch box due to my gut (for which I am trying to work hard to lose but it is a slow road). I decided to test out the shrimp squat and have found that the difficulty is the same but the mechanics are different. While I am still unable to do full range due to strength, I have no issues with my gut getting in the way even if I assist myself in the full-range.

In addition to this, I found holding my leg up with the same side arm gave me issues with wanting to twist that direction. So I found that holding my leg up with the opposite arm seems to help with centering my balance to perform the shrimp squat to at least a low box (so far).

Thought this may help other big guys do single-leg work while simultaneously working on losing weight.

Would the same side arm thing be part of the point of it though? Engaging stabilizer muscles?

Just curious. Fellow guy with a gut trying to learn some better tweaked workouts.

Possibly, but I think the main point is doing the movement. Their are several different variations to the shrimp squat and I think this one helps make it more accessible. Possbily after getting full-range with the cross-body, then change it to the same-side.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom