all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Shrimp squats vs Pistol squats

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

shinch

Level 5 Valued Member
What are the benefits of a shrimp squat vs a pistol squat?

Is one more hip dominant or knee dominant?

There are a number of variations of the 1-legged squat. My memory is that the airborne lunge (similar to what you're calling a shrimp squat, I believe) is recommended for big people who have trouble keeping the straight leg in a pistol from hitting the ground. It's more work for your dear abbies for most people to keep you from falling over backwards in a pistol.

Speaking just for myself, I haven't found a need or a place for the airborne lunge in my training - I've done a few but I feel the pistol offers me more benefits of total body tension and coordination.

As to hip or knee dominant, I don't know - I don't usually think in those terms.

JMO, YMMV.

-S-

My understanding is that because the knee travels a good bit more forward during the shrimp, this makes it challenge the quads more (knee dominant). The pistol, thanks to having an entire leg to counterbalance you in front, allows you to "sit back" a lot more, so I think it would be a bit more hip dominant. This is only when you compare one to the other.

This is of course relative since the pistol resembles a front squat more than a back squat, so in the grand context of things, the pistol is usually thought of as more knee dominant.

Also, just for everyone's knowledge. The airborne lunge is as explained in TNW, with reaching forward with one or both arms. The shrimp squat is specifically the airborne variation where you only reach forward with one hand. The jumbo shrimp squat is done on an elevation. Just some unnecessary nomenclature hehe.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom