all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Side Press Benefits

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Matt L

Level 2 Valued Member
Hello guys,

I want to start practicing the side press, and want to make it my primary pressing exercise for about 3 months. With this time frame and using a strict press 5rm bell, what will I notice to improve or develop in my strength.

Comparing it with the strict press, how will it develop my shoulders? I also read on Walter Dorey's book, that tbere are 3 or 2 variations of the side press. the conventional Power To the People style, and the traditional side press which looks like a bent press.

Thank you guys so much!

The PTTP side press isn't the conventional side press, it's a better version for most people, however.

If you want to read the rules for the traditional side press, go here

http://usawa.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/RULEBOOK-10th-Edition.pdf

and use your browser to search for "side press". In the traditional side press, the knees are both locked, so you really need to be able to bend at the hips to the side and back.

-S-

The PTTP side press isn't the conventional side press, it's a better version for most people, however.

If you want to read the rules for the traditional side press, go here

http://usawa.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/RULEBOOK-10th-Edition.pdf

and use your browser to search for "side press". In the traditional side press, the knees are both locked, so you really need to be able to bend at the hips to the side and back.

-S-
Strength wise, how will the side press help me? will it strengthen my strict press in any way?

also to scale what if I can side press a 40kg bell, will it ever translatr to a strict press?

Carryover is different for different people. It's a wonderful movement in all its various forms, so if you're thinking about it, run a cycle of it, see what progress you can make, and then revisit your strict press for the next cycle and see what results you get.

-S-

@Matt L Speaking for myself, as part of the RSAS group, I do the bent press almost everyday waving the volume and intensity. It has given me rep PRs for strict press and the bent press itself with various bells. I have also seen gains in my pull up event for the TSC most likely due to the lat engagement required for an efficient bent press. It is called "The King" for a reason. Practice them and practice them often.

Thank
@Matt L Speaking for myself, as part of the RSAS group, I do the bent press almost everyday waving the volume and intensity. It has given me rep PRs for strict press and the bent press itself with various bells. I have also seen gains in my pull up event for the TSC most likely due to the lat engagement required for an efficient bent press. It is called "The King" for a reason. Practice them and practice them often.

Is it advisable to use a bell heavier than ehat I can strict press? if I use a 24kg it feels like its light enough that i can juat "shoulder" the weight and I feel the lack of lat engagement.

should I try to use a bent press weight? It seems that im more forced to engage my lats since its heavier. Or should I really try to "crush" the 24kg to really engag3 my lats every rep?

@Matt L, yes. Ideally, ones bent press is stronger than one's side press, and one's side press is stronger than one's strict press. (The same goes for jerk, pushpress, and strict press, btw.)

-S-

Tough answer. It depends. You should explore the movement with a lighter bell than you can press. The bent press technique has common cues to do it correctly and safely that can be found from various sources including the articles on this site. However, it is a very "personal lift". Everyone's mobility and biomechanics are different therefore forcing them into different positions. Generally speaking grease the groove for a bunch of sessions until you feel you are consistently performing the press safely and to standard.

To your heavier vs lighter question. It is possible to feel the lats with a light bell. Yes the heavier weight will force you to engage the lats. As socrates says "In order to fully appreciate the beauty of a snowflake, you have to go out in the cold". However, I can tighten my lats and get full body tension effectively using a 12kg bell and my 1rm bent press is 58kg. Your practice will give you confidence and that will tell you when to get heavy. After all, the purpose of the bent press is to put a large amount of weight in the overhead position without using a ballistic movement. Have fun!!!

Thank you both for your insigthts :D I will try to develop both my side and bent press and see where that takes me. I will not try a strict press for a while to see if I have some carryover with focus on tbe side and bent press :)

@Matt L

I have developed a kettlebell snatch/bent press program - "Royal Simple & Sinister" (RSAS): Advanced Program Minimum. It is however a long term program, 3 months is not enough. Please see Royal Simple & Sinister Test Program: Looking for Vict... Volunteers!

I will give you another simple and tested bent press program, from Pavel:

- increasingly heavier singles, to comfortable max (e.g. 16, 24, 32, 40)
- then 5x5 with medium weight (let's say 24), alternated with pull-ups
- 3x/week
- when feeling exceptionally strong, try a a new, heaver weight. I mean just lift it, not try
- add any type of squat - 3x3 or 3x5 barbell BSQ, or FSQ, or ZSQ, or heavier GSQ, or pistols - take your pick

@Matt L

I have developed a kettlebell snatch/bent press program - "Royal Simple & Sinister" (RSAS): Advanced Program Minimum. It is however a long term program, 3 months is not enough. Please see Royal Simple & Sinister Test Program: Looking for Vict... Volunteers!

I will give you another simple and tested bent press program, from Pavel:

- increasingly heavier singles, to comfortable max (e.g. 16, 24, 32, 40)
- then 5x5 with medium weight (let's say 24), alternated with pull-ups
- 3x/week
- when feeling exceptionally strong, try a a new, heaver weight. I mean just lift it, not try
- add any type of squat - 3x3 or 3x5 barbell BSQ, or FSQ, or ZSQ, or heavier GSQ, or pistols - take your pick

@Pavel Macek I read the requirements for RSAS I need to atleast reach simple standard of strength. my grip is hindering my onenhanded swing with the 32kg.

I will try my best to achieve simple, Thank you very much sir!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom