all posts post new thread

Old Forum Side Press: not so popular

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

CharlieJay

Level 2 Valued Member
Does anyone here actually side press regularly? It seems like the Military press gets all the attention. Would anyone like to share why they like or dislike the side press in comparison to the military press? I, for one, enjoy it and consider it a very powerful movement.

I bent press, but I like the side press better than the military press because you can really leverage off your lats for part of the lift.

Hi!
I believe the side press demonstrated by Pavel in "The Russian Kettlebell Challenge" is both inferior and superior to the clean & press depending on your goals. Although the SP works your side muscles and lat more, it demands more flexibility and balance. It also lacks the "tight-to-loose" sequence - a goody that is safer for the back and useful for many athletes.

There is probably more differences to point out, but C&P being the most newbie-friendly press in addition to the carry over effects due to the "tight-to-loose" sequence is probably enough.

But the main reason is probably Pavel's many quality programs - they often favour the C&P. (Following a well designed program guarantees better results than putting something together by oneself if one lacks experience. That was my conviction when I started out training and I suppose others agree).

Best regards, Henke in Sweden

Oh, and using two bells as in the military press allows greater muscle gains, which draws some attention as well...

These are interesting comments. I agree that it has strong and weak points. I consider it to be on par with the military press. I tend to think that military pressing will induce more muscle gains in obvious parts of the arm like triceps, biceps, ect. That is probably the main reason why it gets more credit.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom