all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Side Press technique

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

CupOfTeaPlease

Level 1 Valued Member
I am experimenting with the original Program Minimum - snatches and side presses with a 24 (I haven't got the technique in this sort of groove for bent presses yet).

I am wondering, when you are in the bottom position, what is your route back to standing with the bell overhead?

Do you just bring yourself up as you are, or do you corkscrew back up in a similar groove to how you got into that bottom position?

On another note - I love snatches. I am not a fan of exercise generally but they are something I genuinely enjoy, I'd forgotten how much I liked them!

Over the years, we have come to favor the bent press, but the PTTP and RKC side presses, barbell and kettlebell, respectively, aren’t the traditional, knees locked side press, anyway. A lot of good help is available here on our forum for the bent press with a kettlebell. That’s my recommendation.

-S-

Thanks Steve, how come the BP has become chosen over the SP?
A fair question for which I don't have a definitive answer. I can say that there are a lot of versions of the side press out there, but really only one version of the bent press. A short ramble, if you will:

In one kind of press, we can draw a continuum with the strict press at one end, the jerk at the other, and the pushpress in the middle. The pushpress has all kinds of good things about it in terms of athleticism.

Another continuum we can draw is strict press at one end, bent press at the other, and side press in the middle. For whatever reasons, we seem to have settled on using both ends of the continuum for this. BTW, the PTTP side press, which is the one I'm familiar with, is significantly different than the traditional sidepress as contested in the All-Round Lifting Federation. The latter requires both knees to be lock and thus a lot of hip mobility, more than most folks have.

-S-

Thanks Steve, I know Iron Tamer is a fan of the BP specifically.

A quick Q if I may: if I swapped the side press/bent press for a floor press, would snatches conterveil the effect of the floor presses when it came to pevention of shoulders rounding/hunching?

I know that Pavel has I think said he would swap the side press for a bench press in PTTP if he was to rewrite it. However, that program obvs uses heavy pulls via the DL to balance the shoulders.

As being as snatches are a reatively light load on the shoulders (at least with the bell I can comfortablt snatch, the 24kg) would this balance out the anterior delt dominated floor press?

(You may wonder why I am not doing military press. I tweaked my shoulder a few months agobut the discomfort has lingered for when I try to do military presses,Physio thinks I have inflamed a rotator cuff, but he has okayed both the bent/side press andfront press.)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom