all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Side splits - program critique request

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

r3econ

First Post
I've been working on my side splits for the last 2 weeks, stretching usually 2-3 times a week. I picked up the following stretches from Relax into Stretch:

- Good morning stretch
- Hip flexor stretch (kneeling)
- Karate hip flexor stretch
- Karate groin stretch
- Cossack squats

I also do Ido Portal's squat routine 3 times a week to open my hips.

Is it optimal set of stretches? What do you guys think. Would you remove/add something?
Best wishes!

@r3econ, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

It would be great to see a video or picture of your split. What's optimal for you depends on what's holding you back.

-S-

Thank you Steve!
My splits are pretty bad at the moment. Here's my personal best:

As you see, pretty lame :) Lots of room for improvement. Any advice?

I think you may be doing too many things, given your list.

Let's pick one - the Cossack Squat. Please post a video of that, with whatever weight that helps you the most, or bodyweight only, or holding onto something - whatever works for you.

-S-

Cossack squats are great, they are the ones I like most from my original list.
Here's the video showing how deep I can go without lifting my heel or twisting the knee.

Thanks for helping out!

@r3econ, we need to see your goblet squat. Please take a video from about 45 degrees to the front. For the Cossack to be beneficial to your split, you need to be much deeper, and for you to be able to get much deeper in the Cossack, you'll first need to get deep in the goblet or front squat.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom