all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Side to Side Kettlebell Swing Benefits

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

hugh

Level 4 Valued Member
In Deadlift Dynamite, It's written that "the side to side kettlebell swing is used by football players for obvious reasons" I have no idea what those reasons could be.

Why would football players use it?

To be more effective as stepping or running sideways?

Is anyone able to tell me what benefit this movement offers?

For me, as someone who has had back injuries the side to side swings concern me a bit….. But I’m also nearing 40 and don’t have any need for them. I don’t really know what their use is for football players but there might be a god one. I was doing ballistic hand to hand cleans a few years ago and they never quite felt right to me, loading weight and twisting the torso seemed like a recipe for disaster to me.

Oh Dammit, I meant the SIDE STEPPING KETTLEBELL SWING. Sorry mate. Ive been calling it the Side to Side, do you think I should repost the question?

Yeah I agree with you on the recipe for disaster thing for any movement that requires you to load the spine then twist and/or bend. It's funny how YT will shut down channels for saying 'the vax is shown to increase cases of myocarditis in children giving 16 year olds the hearts of 60 year olds' but they'll allow people to show irresponsible strength advice

Oh Dammit, I meant the SIDE STEPPING KETTLEBELL SWING. Sorry mate. Ive been calling it the Side to Side, do you think I should repost the question?
No.

Yeah I agree with you on the recipe for disaster thing for any movement that requires you to load the spine then twist and/or bend. It's funny how YT will shut down channels for saying 'the vax is shown to increase cases of myocarditis in children giving 16 year olds the hearts of 60 year olds' but they'll allow people to show irresponsible strength advice
The devil is in the dose - there are movements that, trained properly, will increase the resilience of the spine. In fact, we have a course called Resilient - StrongFirst RESILIENT | StrongFirst

-S-

These are often referred to as "athletic" swings. I always think of them as like doing a speed lader drill or something. It's a swim g that incorporates footwork and increased coordination. Has to work the glute medius and abductor/abductors too.

No.

The devil is in the dose - there are movements that, trained properly, will increase the resilience of the spine. In fact, we have a course called Resilient - StrongFirst RESILIENT | StrongFirst

-S-
Agreed, and any movement done incorrectly can be damaging. The issue is that the risk/reward ratio isnt worth it, ESPECIALLY when there are a multitude of better exercises (i.e. why do a spine compressing spinning swing when you can do the 'quick and the dead' workout)

Why would football players use it?

To be more effective as stepping or running sideways?

Is anyone able to tell me what benefit this movement offers?

I question how much football players use it.

I've never seen it programmed in a football program.

As for stepping side to side, that's what agility ladders and cone drills are for, and both are used regularly in football.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom