all posts post new thread

Old Forum Signing up - Which national certification?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Norski

Level 5 Valued Member
Greetings comrades =) I have been posting on the old forum since 2008 and have been in love with the RKC system for nearly as long.  I saw on the schedule that SF is coming to my hometown and I'd like to finally pull the trigger and get my cert.

My question is:  What will I need in terms of nationally recognized credentials to instruct?  Will the SFG 1 be enough? Or should I work for the NCSM-CSCS as well?  Would other options be better suited?

Which national certification you need to instruct matters only to those who hire you.  If you are on your own, then your SF certification should be sufficient.  If you are planning to work for a local gym, YMCA, etc., then ask them directly which certifications they recognize.

Around the time I got my RKC, I also got the NSCA CPT - I bought the self-study materials, took the test, passed, and was then able to be a trainer at my local YMCA because they recognized NSCA certs.  I picked that one because, at least at the time, it seemed well respected and widely accepted - I don't know if that's still the case.   To me, though, the NSCA-CPT was just a piece of paper - what I taught came from what I learned at the kettlebell certification.

-S-
Steve Freides, StrongFirst Team Leader
http://www.kbnj.com
http://RideChickens.blogspot.com

Oh sweet! I wasn't sure if one needed to be nationally certified for legal reasons or not.  That streamlines things a lot

In Canada, in order to get personal trainer insurance, you must have a "Certification" from a recognized organization.  Most of the cert requirements are a joke, and to paraphrase you, Steve, most of my real learning has come from my kettlebell education.  Early on in my career, one of my mentors advised me to get the minimum cert required, because as you say, it's just a piece of paper.  The kettlebell cert and re-cert curriculums I have submitted have been accepted as more than enough to count towards CECs.

Good luck, Connor!

Tricia Dong

www.code5fitness.com

Tricia, in Australia, it is exactly the same we need a certificate in everything for the insurance. We just have to pay for a course, and doesn't
matter if your technique is good or bad, at the end of the course, you are
certified. For the very first time in my life, I saw people having a huge snooze, and, no worries ( very Australian motto ), they left the course awaked and certified !!! I studied in Europe, it is all the other way.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom