all posts post new thread

Old Forum Silly question but gotta ask...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

chrystad72

Level 1 Valued Member
Hate to ask this but Ive been wondering about it. While training I use fingerless gym gloves mainly to avoid slippage. Im a sweaty beast while I work out!=) I train at home and I dont think my spouse would love the idea of chalk all over the house. Is this acceptable? Or should I bail on the gloves and try and practice towards a wall?

Try liquid chalk: http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=114&pid=1008

Also, in my experience, you don't have to cake chalk on in excess. A light swipe of a chalk block against your palms and fingers does the trick.

If I absolutely have to soak up sweat and a towel isn't cutting it, there's a corn starch/talcum powder mix that works great sold in the regular baby powder section. got it for my baby and ended up using it myself. But unlike chalk, it doesn't make your grip better, it makes the bell slide in your hand. I tried snatching the 32 after not having done it in a while and the damn thing flew out of my hand. It does wear off after a while but seems to handle sweat well.

Baby powder is a terrible choice Joe.  Not talking down to you, I've been there too man on the wrong end of a baby powder hoax when what I needed was chalk. 

I would warn against the liquid chalk.  I used Dry Hands once - ONCE - during a snatch session and will never make that mistake again.  It was too grippy and almost peeled the skin off my hands.  And my hands are quite capable of taking a beating (certified COC - I've done workouts with dozens of no set #3 closes and not had any issues, along with big vertical bar pulls, etc.)  The kettlebell I used was a Muscle Driver and those react more to liquid chalk than the other kettlebells I have.  I did a few swings and snatches with each kettlebell in my lineup the one time I used Dry Hands.

Hey Ben,

I don't disagree about straight baby powder as I tried to use it once when I ran out of my other stuff. The corn starch mix works for me and I felt unable to let the Kb slide in my hands using chalk (yes, gym chalk ). However, I now only use it at the start of my first set of snatches and do all my C&P ladders, pullups and swings without it. Maybe my form has finally gotten better...

awesome guys, thanks so much. Sounds like I should look into buying gym chalk and dry hands (but use with caution) Im gonna look into ordering today...really appreciate the help!

Is there another place to buy the liquid chalk from? (I just ordered gym chalk too) but on EliteLifts the shipping is twice as much as the product. So if I can save on shipping that would be cool. Thanks!

Chrysta,

You might try here:

http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Grip-8-Ounce-Bottle/dp/B003L7N0EC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1354749108&sr=8-2&keywords=liquid+chalk+weightlifting

Says item is eligible for free shipping on orders over $25. Not sure how much it is if it isn't.

Though you have to experiment, to get the right amount (as too much could be hazardous), I've used Tite Grip for years (Tite-Grip Grip Control Formula). How could Miss Pole Champ USA be wrong?

Recommendations and jokes aside, I've used the product at the RKC Cert, and I'm glad I did. Using an excessive amount of chalk, looking like Marcel Marceau, was not on the agenda.

I will also use tape with a gymnastics style wrap. Not heavy, but provides enough resistance when the hands get too sweaty.

The gymnastics style is looped around the middle finger with both ends coming down middle of palm toward wrist then another wrap around wrist to hold that down.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom