all posts post new thread

Simon's log

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

SimonP

Level 1 Valued Member
INTRODUCTION

I am starting the PTTP!-program on 3 september. My primary goal is the double-bodyweight deadlift. It seems like a reasonable start, and I will aim higher if I achieve it fast. Current bodyweight is 72 kg.

I considered going for the Simple goal, but only yesterday decided on pursuing the deadlift goal first - mainly because I have found a nice groove with barbell training on StrongLifts 5x5 and consider it wise to continue on that road a bit longer.

To accompany the deadlift I will use the strict, barbell military press as the press of choice. The side press is not out of the equation yet, even if it would grant me a lot of funny looks in the gym.

Power to the People! seems perfect for laying a solid foundation in barbell training. My previous background in training is mostly based around calisthenics and basic gymnastic training, along with some basic kettlebell lifts.

Last edited:
Some initial thoughts.

I finished the book yesterday and found important details regarding tension, breathing, lifting speed, and so on... The slow lifting speed (3-5 sec) will take some time to get used to - hopefully it comes naturally with proper tension.

The military press is definitely my press of choice. I will use structured wave cycle, along with the 5-3-2 rep. scheme.

Alongside the program there will be daily mobility work and some troubleshooting for strength/mobility asymmetries. During SL 5x5 I became aware that my squats are not symmetrical - there is some lateral hip movement in the bottom position which I would like to get rid of.

The plan for today and tomorrow will be mild, introductory sessions to get familiar with breathing and lift speed - especially for the press. On Saturday I travel to Croatia for one week, where training will consist of daily pistols and one arm push-ups, before I start the program for real.

---

MORNING STRETCHING
90-90
Kneeling Lunge
Frog
Cossack
Pancake

INTRODUCTORY PTTP!-SESSION 1
Deadlift, 80 kg
5, 3, 2
Military Press, 40 kg
5, 3, 2

COMMENT: Easy and fun session. The press feels great with low speed and high tension, really becomes a different lift. I appreciate the fact that a session took me about 20 minutes, something that will come handy when the studies (mechanical engineering) start in september.

Last edited:
MORNING STRETCHING
Kneeling Lunge
Frog
Cossack
Pancake

INTRODUCTORY PTTP!-SESSION 2

Deadlift, 85 kg
5, 3, 2

Military Press, 42,5 kg
5, 3, 2

COMMENT: Enjoyable session. Deadlift very solid. Still working on getting the breathing synced on the press. I am used to hold my breath during the whole lift, but would like refresh my air at the top position. Will probably go with a slightly lighter weight when when the program starts.

No meaningful work yesterday. A lot of airport time and flying.

-
AUGUST 26, 2018

MORNING STRETCH
Kneeling Lunge
Frog
Cossack
Pancake
90-90

GTG
Pistol Squats, 15 x 1
Inclined One Arm Push-up, 15 x 1

Hi Simon! I'm curious why are you doing 5,3,2 sets instead of back off sets with lighter weight?

From what I’ve understood, it is an alternative from the Russian edition of the program. I do not think it makes a useful difference, but I liked the idea as it essentially means no re-loading of plates.

Here is the thread:
Pavel's 5,3,2 ???

Last edited:
Caught a really bad cold earlier this week. Not too much energy, but have kept on with some (light) morning stretches at least. Feels better now, though.

AUGUST 27, 2018

MORNING STRETCH
Kneeling Lunge
Frog
Cossack
90-90

GTG
Pistol Squat, 15 x 1
Incline One Arm Push-up, 15 x 1

AUGUST 28-29, 2018

MORNING STRETCH
Kneeling Lunge
Frog
90-90

Last edited:
AUGUST 30, 2018

MORNING STRETCH
Kneeling Lunge
Frog
Cossack
Pancake

COMMENT: Feeling completly recovered from the cold. Back to GTG for the two last days on the vacation.

-

AUGUST 31, 2018

MORNING STRETCH:
Kneeling Lunge
Frog
Cossack
Pancake

GTG
Pistol Squat, 15 x 1
Incline One Arm Push-up, 15 x 1

COMMENT: My right leg pistol has (surprisingly!) improved a lot during the week, even though I have only applied GTG for 2-3 sporadic days. Looking forward starting PTTP in a couple of days.

SEPTEMBER 1, 2018

GTG
Pistol Squat, 10 x 1
Incline One Arm Push-up, 10 x 1

COMMENT: Less volume and no stretching, just a quick morning walk instead. Soon home in Sweden again.

Last edited:
Let's do this!

Would anyone recommend doing some kind of activity during the long rest periods? Nothing that have any chance of interfering with the lifts, of course.

Specific breathing techniques? Mobility work? Light swings? Any kind of drills? Suggestions are always welcome.
-

SEPTEMBER 3, 2018

MORNING MOBILITY
90-90
Kneeling Lunge
Frog
Cossack
Straddle

PTTP!-SESSION
Deadlift, 80 kg
Military Press, 35 kg

COMMENT: Easy - as it should be in the beginning.

Last edited:
Let's do this!

Would anyone recommend doing some kind of activity during the long rest periods? Nothing that have any chance of interfering with the lifts, of course.

Specific breathing techniques? Mobility work? Light swings? Any kind of drills? Suggestions are always welcome.
-

SEPTEMBER 3, 2018

MORNING MOBILITY

90-90
Kneeling Lunge
Frog
Cossack
Straddle

PTTP!-SESSION
Deadlift, 80 kg

Military Press, 35 kg

COMMENT: Easy - as it should be in the beginning.

I find just sitting and visualizing the lifts to be very helpful! Go over the cues in your head, go inside yourself and imagine doing the perfect rep over and over again. Then, execute it. Also, shaking out the limbs is good to get the blood flowing back through, especially after high tension lifting.

Visualization is a great idea. Effortless and simple to incorporate.

I have decided to use this mobility complex (as recommended on the forum) as a morning recharge, along with the Frog Series from Flexible Steel for my stretching needs.

SEPTEMBER 4, 2018

MORNING RECHARGE
Mobility complex (Flexible Steel)

PTTP!-SESSION
Deadlift, 82,5 kg
Military Press, 37,5 kg

STRETCHING
Frog Series (Flexible Steel)

Last edited:
LOVE the 5-3-2 version of PTTP. Have played around back-forth with the backoff set as well and decided I preferred the lazy option. :) Hi frequency lifting seems to yield good results for strength gains (at least for me), and the biggest downer I feel is the fact that you need access to weights pretty much most days of the week.

There isn't that much rest in between the sets. Usually I take 2 mins between 5 and 3, and maybe a bit less between 3 and 2.

I am lucky to have a good, not too crowded gym at university, so it is simple to throw in a daily session without any trouble. A strength session is the perfect break from heavy studying. Especially today - my brain went from"fried" to "kind-of-fresh" in no time.

SEPTEMBER 5, 2018

MORNING RECHARGE

PTTP!-SESSION
Deadlift, 85 kg
Military Press, 40 kg

Last edited:
SEPTEMBER 6, 2018

MORNING RECHARGE

PTTP!-SESSION
Deadlift, 87,5 kg
Military Press, 42,5 kg
+
Goblet Squat, 20 kg

STRETCHING

COMMENT: Some extra work today after PTTP! - a bit of work on my (uneven) squat. Few sets of light squats with focus on even involvement from both legs.

I noticed the same mental benefits to PTTP. There was a long stretch this summer where I wasn't getting anywhere close to enough sleep, but after a PTTP session in the morning I'd be alert and ready to get stuff done.

First week of the program done! The coming weekend will be spent on whitewater kayaking.

Some thoughts after the first week:
- Working out (almost) every day is not as challenging as I expected.
- The mental benefits are huge - especially if the session is used as a break from work, studying, etc.
- The short sessions are unbelievable easy to fit in at any time of the day.
- No regrets about using the military press. Lots of room for improvement there.
- Deadlifts are fun.

SEPTEMBER 7, 2018

MORNING RECHARGE

PTTP!-SESSION
Deadlift, 90 kg
Military Press, 45 kg

COMMENT: Very solid.

Last edited:
The weekend's kayaking was a bit more than just active rest. Sore overall today and a lot of stiffness in the hips and calves, not really what I expected. Some mobility work and stretching seems enough for today.

SEPTEMBER 10, 2018

MORNING RECHARGE

STRETCHING

SEPTEMBER 11, 2018

MORNING RECHARGE

PTTP!-SESSION
Deadlift, 82,5 kg
Military Press, 37,5 kg

Last edited:
SEPTEMBER 12, 2018

MORNING RECHARGE

PTTP!-SESSION
Deadlift, 85 kg
Military Press, 40 kg

STRETCHING

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom