all posts post new thread

Simon's log

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
SEPTEMBER 13, 2018

PTTP!-SESSION
Deadlift, 87,5 kg
Military Press, 42,5 kg
+
Goblet Squat 20 kg
3 x 5

COMMENT: I have recorded the squats from behind, and I am happy to see that no lateral motion is going on. Will try some slightly heavier Goblets next week and check the status. PTTP! still going strong.

Last edited:
SEPTEMBER 14, 2018

MORNING RECHARGE
Mobility complex from Flexible Steel

PTTP!-SESSION
Deadlift, 90 kg
Military Press, 45 kg

Last edited:
A question for the future: When I eventually stall and cannot produce five reps (probably on the press), what are my opinions? Should I just "wrap up" the current cycle, take one or two days off, and thereafter start a new cycle on a lighter weight?

I am enjoying the structured wave cycle at the moment. What are your experiences with other cycles? How did you handle stalling on the lift? The book mentions separate cycles for both lifts, which seems necessary.

Last edited:
A question for the future: When I eventually stall and cannot produce five reps (probably on the press), what are my opinions? Should I just "wrap up" the current cycle, take one or two days off, and thereafter start a new cycle on a lighter weight?

I am enjoying the structured wave cycle at the moment. What are your experiences with other cycles? How did you handle stalling on the lift? The book mentions separate cycles for both lifts, which seems necessary.

Yes, this is what Pavel recommends in the book. Once you make less than 5 reps, restart a cycle with a weight slightly higher than what you started the last cycle on a try to end it higher than your previous cycle.

Sounds simple enough.

Produced my first 4-rep today on the press, which was quite surprising. Small jumps are really noticable on the millitary press. This was the tenth session of the cycle, so I wrap up the press cycle and start a new one on monday - but starting on 37,5 kg instead of the previous 35 kg. I have also noticed that my lift tempo increases a bit when the weights get heavier, I will need to keep myself more strict for the new press cycle. The deadlift cycle will carry on for another week (total 15 sessions).

-

SEPTEMBER 15, 2018

MORNING RECHARGE

PTTP!-SESSION
Deadlift, 92,5 kg
Military Press, 47,5 kg

Last edited:
SEPTEMBER 17, 2018

MORNING RECHARGE

PTTP!-SESSION
Deadlift, 85 kg
Military Press, 37,5 kg
+
Goblet Squats, 32 kg
3 x 5

COMMENT: New week - new cycle for the press. Focus on keeping high tension on the press to bust through the 47,5 kg plateau by the end of the week. Plus som extra work on the squats.

SEPTEMBER 18, 2018

MORNING RECHARGE

PTTP!-SESSION
Deadlift, 87,5 kg
Military Press, 40 kg

SEPTEMBER 19, 2018

MORNING RECHARGE

PTTP!-SESSION
Deadlift, 90 kg
Military Press, 42,5 kg

SEPTEMBER 20, 2018

MORNING RECHARGE

PTTP!-SESSION
Deadlift, 92,5 kg
Military Press, 45 kg

STRETCHING
Tactical frogs

SEPTEMBER 21, 2018

MORNING RECHARGE

PTTP!-SESSION
Deadlift, 95 kg
Millitary Press, 47,5 kg

COMMENT: No problems at all with the press, glad to see progress from last week. Deadlift still very strong.

SEPTEMBER 24, 2018

PTTP!-SESSION
Deadlift, 87,5 kg
Millitary Press, 40 kg

SEPTEMBER 25, 2018

PTTP!-SESSION
Deadlift, 90 kg
Millitary Press, 42,5 kg

A time-out is needed on the deadlift. I recorded myself from behind today and saw some unwished details. Way up looks fine - but I see some twisting on the eccentric phase, kind of the same I have noticed on my squats.

I have to fix this before increasing the load any further. Honestly, I am a bit frustrated. The deadlifts have felt solid, and have looked good from the side when I have recorded them.

I will take a break for a couple of days first, along with some research on this, and thereafter start troubleshooting. Will post a video later on to get some tips.

Last edited:
Tomorrow I will try some light deadlifts with a more controlled descent, just to see if I can correct the uneveness I noticed a couple of days ago. Hopefully, it is enough to just to focus on keeping the bar close and let it slide down the knees.

SEPTEMBER 27, 2018

MORNING RECHARGE

STRETCHING
Tactical Frog

Last edited:
Ordered myself a light, 12 kg kettlebell to use for my morning routine. Looking forward to use it for some TGUs, for example.

The press cycle will continue as usual next week, along with troubleshooting the deadlift.

SEPTEMBER 28, 2018

STRENGTH SESSION
Deadlift
3 x 5, 70 kg
2 x 5, 60 kg
One Leg Deadlift
3 x 5

MORNING RECHARGE

COMMENT: Light deadlifting today with every repetition recorded. The problem is clearly present on very low weights, but gets better if I have just a little more distance between the shins and the bar than usual in the set-up and just focus on just "dropping" the bar, rather than trying to control the descent too much. Some progress, no doubt.

SEPTEMBER 31, 2018

MORNING RECHARGE
+
75 min yoga class at the evening

OKTOBER 1, 2018

PTTP!-SESSION
Millitary Press, 40 kg
+
Deadlift troubleshooting and some single leg-deadlifts

MORNING RECHARGE

COMMENT: Seems to be that I am hitting the left knee just slightly on the way down, which throws off my position just a bit. Will work on a quicker hinge tomorrow and just a bit more clearance.

OKTOBER 2, 2018

MORNING RECHARGE

PTTP!-SESSION
Millitary Press, 42,5 kg
+
Deadlift form work

OKTOBER 3, 2018

PTTP!-SESSION
Millitary Press, 45 kg
+
Deadlift form work

MORNING RECHARGE

OKTOBER 4, 2018

PTTP!-SESSION
Millitary Press, 47,5 kg
+
Deadlift form work

MORNING RECHARGE
Some get-ups, presses, windmills and squats with my new "morning recharge"-kettlebell. Not anything structured yet.

OKTOBER 5, 2018

PTTP!-SESSION
Millitary Press, 50 kg
+
Deadlift form work

MORNING RECHARGE
Some get-ups, presses, windmills and squats with 12 kg kettlebell

COMMENT: Only three reps today for the press on 50 kg. Another go next week on a identical cycle, starting with 40 kg and ending with 50 kg.

No mixed grip on the deadlift, I prefer the symmetrical grip, as I do not want to exacerbate any asymmetries. Really nice article, by the way. Thanks for sharing! After some advice here on the forum I've decided to change my technique a bit (narrower stance) and accept the slight asymmetry on the eccentric phase, as long as it feels right and I am pain free I see no reason to pay more attention to it.

As I am starting to feel more comfortable with the lifts and the program I've decided to test a linear cycle for the deadlift and a step cycle for the press, as I am ready to progress faster on the deadlift, and I need a longer cycle to build momentum in the press.

OCTOBER 8, 2018

PTTP!-SESSION
Millitary Press, 40 kg

Deadlift, 87,5 kg

MORNING RECHARGE
Several light, controlled Turkish get-ups, goblet squats and kettlebell presses

Last edited:
This week turned out to be a bit broken training wise, with a lot of time and energy spent on studying and other activities. I am looking forward to see how the linear- and step cycles work out next week.

OCTOBER 10, 2018

PTTP!-SESSION
Millitary Press, 40 kg
Deadlift, 90 kg

MORNING RECHARGE WITH 12 KG BELL
Kettlebell press
2 x 10
Turkish Get-up
2 x 1
Goblet Squat
2 x 10

OCTOBER 11, 2018

PTTP!-SESSION
Millitary Press, 42,5 kg
Deadlift, 92,5 kg

Kettlebell press
2 x 10
Turkish Get-up
2 x 1
Goblet Squat
2 x 10

OCTOBER 11, 2018

PTTP!-SESSION
Millitary Press, 42,5 kg
Deadlift, 92,5 kg

Kettlebell press
2 x 10
Turkish Get-up
2 x 1
Goblet Squat
2 x 10

OCTOBER 13, 2018

PTTP!-SESSION
Millitary Press, 42,5 kg
Deadlift, 95 kg

Kettlebell press
2 x 10
Turkish Get-up
2 x 1
Goblet Squat
2 x 10

Caught a cold and having very little energy in general, so no training today.

-

OCTOBER 15, 2018

PTTP!-SESSION
Millitary Press, 45 kg
Deadlift, 97,5 kg

OCTOBER 16, 2018

PTTP!-SESSION
Millitary Press, 45 kg
Deadlift, 100 kg

MORNING RECHARGE
Kettlebell press, 12 kg
10, 10
Turkish Get-up, 12kg
1, 1, 1
Goblet Squat, 12kg
10, 10

OCTOBER 17, 2018

MORNING RECHARGE
Kettlebell press, 12 kg
10, 10
Turkish Get-up, 12kg
1, 1, 1
Goblet Squat, 12kg
10, 10

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom