all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Simple Achieved - Thanks Pavel!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

LoneRider

Level 6 Valued Member
Recently (on 13 September to be precise) I finally reached the Simple standard for Simple and Sinister. I've been running the program twice a week (run offset from a 2x/week barbell program built around Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 program as well as any other PT my unit is doing). I got my swings in 4 minutes and 56 seconds and my getups in nine and a half minutes at 32 KG.

In one more week my kettlebell training will move towards the Rite of Passage with the following goals:

• Clean and Press a 40 KG Kettlebell (the bell closest to 1/2 my bodyweight).
  • Snatch a 24 KG Kettlebell 200+ reps in 10 minutes
I've been running S&S concurrent with my barbell work on and off since November 2014 (due to the logistics of a five month temporary duty tour to Korea where we didn't have 24KG or 32KG Kettlebells I had to take a break off of S&S) and am happy to report achieving Simple. Thanks again Pavel for all the changes you've brought about.

Congrats to you! I am only nearing the end of my 5th month of this, and will be making a simular post, in the future. I know it! Thanks for sharing this...it is motivation to those of us endeavoring to do this...that others have gone before us! Happy for you :)

Thank you for the accolades, but remember this. Don't rush.

I went slowly and methodically with S&S before I went to tackle even attempting to time Simple. I did it one set/rep at a time, one step at a time and I'd be happy to share how I did it if anyone's interested.

Recently (on 13 September to be precise) I finally reached the Simple standard for Simple and Sinister. I've been running the program twice a week (run offset from a 2x/week barbell program built around Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 program as well as any other PT my unit is doing). I got my swings in 4 minutes and 56 seconds and my getups in nine and a half minutes at 32 KG.

In one more week my kettlebell training will move towards the Rite of Passage with the following goals:

• Clean and Press a 40 KG Kettlebell (the bell closest to 1/2 my bodyweight).
  • Snatch a 24 KG Kettlebell 200+ reps in 10 minutes
I've been running S&S concurrent with my barbell work on and off since November 2014 (due to the logistics of a five month temporary duty tour to Korea where we didn't have 24KG or 32KG Kettlebells I had to take a break off of S&S) and am happy to report achieving Simple. Thanks again Pavel for all the changes you've brought about.
Yes, I was just in Korea for two months and I couldn't find any kettlebells there. That's why I did the NW workouts plus pullups (since they have lots of outdoor pullup and pushup bars).

*gasp* I need to change my PDI!

I still managed to do kettlebell work (granted I was on a military base), but we just had 35lbs and 45 lbs kettlebells at the heaviest. I practiced ballistics based around the two kettlebell clean and jerk and one kettlebell snatch for my Hardstyle kettlebell work.

I was just in Korea for two months and I couldn't find any kettlebells there.
StrongFirst has a significant presence in Korea. Before you go again, reach out to me and I'll give you some contacts there.

-S-

StrongFirst has a significant presence in Korea. Before you go again, reach out to me and I'll give you some contacts there.

-S-
That's SO COOL! Thanks! I speak fluent Korean (albeit as a second language) by the way, so the contacts don't need English. I'll probably head back over there 2 years later.

@LoneRider I have a question about your working in your swings with the heavier bell. Am I reading your other post correctly, and you replaced 4 *reps* at a time with the new bell? i.e. in a given 10 rep set, you'd do 4 reps with the 24, then 6 with the 16? Then the next session, in that same set, you'd do 8 with the 24, and 2 with the 16? Then in the following session, you'd do a full set with the 24, then 2 reps of the next set with the 24, and 8 with the 16? Was that how the progression ran?

@patterner to answer your question here's how I transitioned between bell sizes.

When I achieved the standard for 24KG kettlebell for my one arm swings and was switching from 24KG to 32KG here's how I went about it. I replaced two sets at a time with two handed kettlebell swings, each session like so (running 2 sessions/week):

Session 1: 24R-24L-24R-24L-24R-24L-24R-24L-24R-24L
Session 2: 24R-32T-32T-24L-24R-24L-24R-24L-24R-24L
Session 3: 24R-32T-32T-32T-32T-24L-24R-24L-24R-24L

In about five sessions I had 10x10 two handed swings at 32KG. Then I went to one arm swings like this:

Session 1: 32T-32T-32T-32T-32T-32T-32T-32T-32T-32T
Session 2: 32T-32(3T-2R-3T-2L)-32T-32T-32T-32T-32T-32T-32T-32T
Session 3: 32T-32(3R-2T-3L-2T)-32T-32T-32T-32T-32T-32T-32T-32T
Session 4: 32T-32(4R-1T-4L-1T)-32T-32T-32T-32T-32T-32T-32T-32T
Session 5: 32T-32(4R-1T-4L-1T)-32(3T-2R-3T-2L)-32T-32T-32T-32T-32T-32T-32T

That's how I replaced swings 4x at a time from two arm to one arm swings. I didn't go to full sets at 10 until I had two sets that were ready to 'go to ten' (i.e. I was doing eight one arm swings per set) so I was maintaining symmetrical development the entire time.

Reactions: Jan
@LoneRider: I like that protocol. I am going to use it to progress from 2H to 1H swings @ 16kg. Currently, I am replacing 6 of my 2H swings with 1H ones, but I feel this drains me too much.

@LoneRider: I like that protocol. I am going to use it to progress from 2H to 1H swings @ 16kg. Currently, I am replacing 6 of my 2H swings with 1H ones, but I feel this drains me too much.

I have the same issue. The OHS smokes me so fast. However, since I am still starting out with getting the hang of these kettlebell exercises, I focus on recovering between sets. One of the more experienced posters had stated that in a thread somewhere on here. When I am doing the THS, my heart rate gets up to about 120, OHS pushes my heart rate to 138 - 144 after 5 with each hand. So, my time between sets increases a little, as I wait for my heart rate to get back to 90 or so. While that is still high, I like to have it up from my resting HR which is around 60.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom