all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Simple Achieved - Thanks Pavel!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I found that persistently doing my S&S routine every day made me progress. It seems odd to me now that the one armed swings don't feel hard any more with the 32kg. Gosh, S&S is such a brilliant, elegant programme!

Regarding your 200 snatches with the 24kg in 10 minutes, is this something that you achieve and then maintain, or do you achieve it and move onto something else?

@LoneRider your story is fantastic...such steady patient persistence! Regarding your progression of the one arm swings...when you get the 2 sets up to 10 one arm each side, I take it you add one or two more sets in the manner prescribed, a mix of 1 and two hand?

@crazycanuck , what I did was I'd get to eight reps (4 on each arm for one set) and then I'd start that 4 at a time pairing for another set, that way when I'd get to 10xreps for one arm swings I'd be doing an even 10 reps for right and 10 reps for left.

Regarding your 200 snatches with the 24kg in 10 minutes, is this something that you achieve and then maintain, or do you achieve it and move onto something else?

From my understanding it's something to achieve and then moving on to other programming. I'm considering after achieving the Rite of Passage standards going back into Simple and Sinister and aiming for Sinister.

From my understanding it's something to achieve and then moving on to other programming. I'm considering after achieving the Rite of Passage standards going back into Simple and Sinister and aiming for Sinister.
Yes, I am aiming to do exactly the same thing, as directed to do by the experts on this forum. I wish this were written up in the S&S book though, because I didn't understand why there are two apparently competing kettlebell programmes in Strongfirst. I get it now, but only after a few weeks of confusion.

The Strongfirst full plan is: S&S to Simple (32kg) then ROP to passing the snatch and press test, then back to S&S until Sinister, and I guess you basically maintain Sinister after that, if you can in fact get to Sinister. It's all magic to me as I don't really understand the science involved. In judo you don't go off and do something else for a while and then come back, you instead keep at it. You just take time away to rest, usually in the summertime.

I've started my order for the 48kg bell. I can't even press the 40kg bell I have once, so I sure hope this stuff works! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
@Kozushi :

The Strongfirst full plan is: S&S to Simple (32kg) then ROP to passing the snatch and press test, then back to S&S until Sinister, and I guess you basically maintain Sinister after that, if you can in fact get to Sinister.

I can see the logic of going S&S to Simple before even attempting ROP because the pulls portion of the Rite of Passage is effectively one gigantic 'Go Beyond the Interval' training session. And in S&S itself it states that one does not go beyond the interval unless the routine training weight is 32KG for a male girevik.

@MikeTheBear

When you did S&S alongside 5/3/1 did you use the S&S exercises as the assistance work? How did S&S affect your lifts? Would be cool to know.

Well, my assistance work is a bit nuanced, to warn you. S&S was run 2x/weekly (the by the book recommendation if one is on a serious lifting program of any sort). I found it to be a very recoverable option (the swings providing excellent conditioning and the getups sorting through the press).

My assistance work had three components:

• Simple and Sinister (2x/week)
  • Assistance lifts (which included the Olympic lifts (snatch and clean and jerk) in singles, front squats, weighted chins)
  • Bodyweight work (pullups and pushups) done in a grease the groove sort of way. I stuck with basic variants of pushups and pullups for a given volume (for instance 270 pushups and 48 pullups a week for one week and alternated with the next week being 72 pullups and 180 pushups so each week acts as a back off of the other). The sets are done for relatively easy reps (for me 30 pushups and 6 pullups). I calculated the weekly volume on sets of 3x30 pushups/day and 4x6 pullups/day. A pushup favoring week would be calculated on 3x30 per day for three days and a pullup favoring week would be 4x6 pullups per day for three days. The methodology behind this is better explained by this article: Assistance Work: Are You Getting it All Wrong
S&S did not adversely effect my lifts. I always managed to make progress, get decent reps on my PR sets (for instance one session I did backsquats for 257.5 lbs for 6 repetitions (clean and solid) and another one I pulled a PR of 185 lbs on the power clean).

I'll be happy to post my Wendler 5/3/1 program template here or PM it to you if you'd like.

Another QQ about your method, @LoneRider, when you're working in your 1H swings, LH, LH, TH, TH, TH, RH, RH, TH, TH, TH, do you switch "on the fly" a la a hand to hand swing, or do you park the bell for a second to make the switch?

@LoneRider thank you so much for the tips. I just added my first set of 20kg swings in today, in a 2T/2L/2T/2R pattern, and it felt great! Reading this thread and your explanations has been really helpful!

Why thank you, @crazycanuck.

My suggestion is this, when you've got two sets that are at 8 one arm swings (4L-1T-4R-1T) make a third set at the the 2T-2L-2T-2R-2T pattern the next session. And then the session after that turn both sets of one arm swings that have 8 total one arm swings into a set of 10 one arm swings (one for each arm) and go on from there.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom