all posts post new thread

Simple and beyond

I was quite tired today so decided to do a relatively short and easy training. Did some reps of Nordic Hamstring curl in the hope of gradually healing the pain in my hamstring.

Did some calf raises to heal the stiffness in my calf. And then I did my main training: Waiters walk@36/1*5 pr and. 36 kilo is heavy. I can promise you that. It was heavy and I needed to pause between sets. But it was doable. Felt like a practice, felt like a meditation. So I hope this will increase my TGU and that the short pause from swinging might heal my hamstrings.

I am taking one week off from training due to general tiredness and some slight injury in my hamstring. Will do some yoga and walking. That is all.

Some thoughts about principles to follow with training:

1) Listen to your body's signals. Be careful. When you are lacking in sleep, train less frequently and take it easy.

2) Be steady instead of rushing things. By rushing things you expose yourself to injury which will make it take even longer to reach my goals.

3) An ounce of prevention is worth a kilo of rehabilitation.

4) Take one week off every other month.

5) Listen to those that make the program, and don't rush things too much.

6) Start stretching regularly to have a flexibility reserve when swinging and snatching.

7) Sometimes I come up with quite clever things to do, and then suddenly apparently for no good reason I just stop doing that thing. It is wise to keep on doing that which is wise and stop doing those things that are not wise.

Last edited:
I have started with Enter the Kettlebell, rite of passage. I started easy with light weights, so I could focus on technique and not aggravate my hamstring soreness.I also think that clean and press with 20 kilo and 24 kilo is more easy on the hamstrings than 32 and 36 kilo swings. I will also order a session with a physiotherapist sometime in the next weeks.

Press and clean: 20@(1)*3 (pr. hand).
Snatch: 16kg@ 80 reps in 9 minutes. (9 reps pr.minute)

I now seem to have managed to fix my sleep. I hope this will generate better strength results and give me more sturdy tendons.

So my new strategy:

Taking it easy with the weights. Focusing on showing up, doing the practice. Following the rules and details of the author of the program. Listening to my body. Rather be a bit too careful than a bit to hardy with the weights.

Doing a proper warm up. And doing some maintenance work with my hamstring (prehab). With nordic hamstring curls and gliding bridge every other day. My personal experience is that resting does not heal anything.

Tired and happy I had started so light with the new program.

Warm up.
Press@20/(1,2)*3
1h swing@24: 105 reps. Mostly in sets of 12. (7 minutes). 15 reps pr minute.

Quite fun program.

Optional day:

Clean 16+20/ 5*5
Swings*28/ 3*10
Snatch@20/3*10

Hard day:

Press@20/ (1,2,3)*3
Swing@24/ 135 reps in 8 minutes. (15 reps * 3 sets) The rest was mostly sets of 10, and two sets of 5. Those sets of 15 are very hard. 17 reps pr minute.

Easy day:

Press and clean@20/(1)*4
Snatch@16/ 50 reps in 5 minutes. 10 reps pr. minute.

Hamstring stretching at the end of the session. It felt nice. How hard was it 0-10: 3.

Tested myself with the SSST 16 kilo:

I Got 150 reps with 16 kilo in ten minutes. Will stay with the 16 kilo until å Switch press weight til 24 kilo. That way I let my snatch weight be 4 kilo below my press weight. Oh I like that 16 kilo. It really gives me a sense of mastering, and I also feel that it is so light that I can think while practicing.

Today's practice:

Clean and press@20/ (1)*5
Snatch: 6 minutes with 16 kilo: 65 reps. / 11 reps pr. minute. (without forcing it I am gradually getting more and more reps)

I have started doing loaded stretching. And a bit of pull-ups.

Medium work out. I did split it in two due to long working hours.

Yesterday: Did the clean and press. @20/(1,2)*5

Today medium swing day.@24/ 5 minutes. 70 reps. Quite easy/14 reps pr.minute.

Thinking about also doing some 2-hand work. But maybe it is good to practice the 1-h swing for some months, and then the 2-h swing for some months ? It is such a good thing not to be in a hurry.

Hard day:

Clean and press@20//(1,2,3)*5
Swing@24. 4 minutes. 70 reps. 17,5 reps pr. minute.
Some pull-ups in there two with neutral grip. In a couple of days starting with 4 reps, that will be fun.

Easy day:

Press and clean@20: (1,2)*5
Snatch@16. 10 minutes. 100 reps.

I also did some side presses and bent press with very easy weight just to see if this can stabilize my shoulder. It seems it can.

Very tired from work.

Yesterday: (hard day): press and clean@20 (1,2,3,4)*5
Did some pull-ups and some bent press with 12 kilo.

Today (this morning): (hard day, conditioning) 2h swing@28: 75 reps. (mostly in ten rep-sets)
2h is a fun variation. It is also easier and that is good for me since I am stressed at work and are struggling to sleep sufficient.

Next week will be last week with the 20 kilo. After that I will relax for a week and only do light correcting exercising and then I will start with the 24 kilo. Looking forward to it.

easy day, hardest week with 20 kilo:
Clean and press: (1,2,3)*5
Snatch@20: 55 reps in 8 minutes. Mostly in sets of 5-7. Focusing on technique. 6,9 reps pr. minute.

Experimenting with a new program for the standing power wheel roll out.

I will follow the fighters pull up progression.

That means the first day will be:

then
and then

Then version of the power wheel roll out that I will do will be to set a mark at the floor and then roll out until I almost reach the wall ( one inch before the wall). That way it will be harder, it will progressively be harder AND I will not loose tension as I would have done if I fully touched the wall.

Will be interesting to see how I progress. I am open to taking sometimes a bit more days of than what Pavel suggests. Especially if I feel very tired.

Medium day strength. Last week with he 20 kilo. C and P: (1,2,3,4)*5

Will do the conditioning later this day.

ROP is a fun program. It provides enough variety. When I am done with this week, I am done with the 20 kilo and will progress to the 24 kilo. In order to stay fresh and reduce chances of injury I will take 5-7 days off to do other random stuff, very light. Just for fun. Work on my mobility and on my flexibility.

Last edited:
Medium day: Conditioning:

1h swing@28: 5 minutes. 75 reps. 3 sets of 15. (the rest was 10).

I also did some light GSQ and some Nordic hamstring curl for my hamstring health.

Hard day (strength portion): C&P@20/(1,2,3,4,5)*5

Conditioning: Kind of a snatch test@20/ 105 reps in 10 minutes. Not hard. Flirting slightly with glycolysis. I have to say that snatch is a complex exercise, and it is a hard exercise. I like it.

Then there is a couple of days off from regular training. Will play around with easy stuff. After this small break I will start up with 24 kilo press and clean, 28 kilo cleans, 20 kilo snatch and 28 kilo swing.

Finished with the time off from training:

C&P@24/ (1)*3

Snatch@20/ 75 reps/ 11 minutes. It was easy to very easy.

Important for me to focus on is depth in the knees AND bending in the hips. In addition to the hand movement of non-swinging hand and double breathing.

Medium day with 24 in press:

Morning: C&P@24/(1,2)@3 (24 is another beast than 20. 20 is not a beast at all).

Evening: 2h swing@28. 7 minutes. 90 reps. each set had 15 reps. 13 reps pr. minute. ( I think it was a bit too hard, provided this was the medium day).

I really like 2 h swing.

Back
Top Bottom