all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Simple and sinister 24kg to 32kg

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

CRAIGSIGG

First Post
Hello, this is my first post on the forum. Currently I am doing simple and sinister 2.0, and have a question about progression.

I have been doing the 24 kg for 3 weeks, and would like to start incorporating the 32 kg bell as per the progression scheme. However I know the book recommends adding more sets with the 32kg every 4 weeks, but I would like to add sets every 3 weeks.

Should this be a problem as long as I am recovering okay? I am doing simple and sinister 5 to 6 days a week, only taking days off when my schedule demands it (work).

Thanks!

As you mentioned, as long as you are recovering. You can customize the rate you progress and the rate you recover as needed

Last edited:
Hello, this is my first post on the forum. Currently I am doing simple and sinister 2.0, and have a question about progression.

I have been doing the 24 kg for 3 weeks, and would like to start incorporating the 32 kg bell as per the progression scheme. However I know the book recommends adding more sets with the 32kg every 4 weeks, but I would like to add sets every 3 weeks.

Should this be a problem as long as I am recovering okay? I am doing simple and sinister 5 to 6 days a week, only taking days off when my schedule demands it (work).

Thanks!
4 weeks is recommended, but if you recover well you can step with load after 3 weeks. Nonetheless, before you do that ask yourself are your swings are as they should be? Powerful, crisp, strong. Sometimes it is better to stay with the same weigh a little bit longer and perfect every detail for further advantages.

Hello,

Powerful, crisp, strong. Sometimes it is better to stay with the same weigh a little bit longer and perfect every detail for further advantages.
+1 to @mikhael

The same logic is also true for TGU. Usually, if you stay longer than expected on a move, you build some sort of "strength reserve", which then makes the transition easier from a weight to a heavier one.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Great inputs from @mikhael and @pet'.

It can be very instructive to hold yourself to a given weight when you know you can do more. Think of it like riding a wave... you only get this one thing (S&S session with 24kg), how can you make it the best it can be? If you're surfing a wave -- better timing, better launch, quicker stand-up, better technique or flair as you ride, more enjoyment while you're surfing, longer ride... If you're doing your session, stronger and more effective warm-up, stronger set-up, better hike, crisper swings, more power and height, stronger plank, better hinge, better recovery breathing, better timing between sets (fully recovered but no more), more precise grip, quicker recovery before get-ups, longer get-ups, smoother transitions, stronger holds at each position, more precision, better leverage and body dominating the weight rather than struggling with it, better relaxation between get-ups, more effective stretches at the end.... just to name a few.

Bottom line is, you won't be holding yourself back by spending another week with the 24kg, if you wring all you can out of it by using that time to make the practice more effective.

But then again, there are no S&S police, so you are always free to make your own choice. :)

Thanks!

If you're already an experienced lifter and have a strong base, you probably can do it. Otherwise, quickly gained strength is, likewise, quickly lost. Also, the quicker the gains the higher the risk of injuries. There are too many bits in our bodies that take their sweet time to build lasting strength reserves.

I actually like a suggested test somewhere in this forum to pass before moving to the next TGU bell. Performing a reverse ladder of 5 rungs under 15 minutes; finishing each rung on one hand before switching to the other. Each one of these 30 TGUs must be rock solid.

An over-kill it may be and a patience teacher for sure. On the other hand, your body will not second-guess you when you hit that next bell.

But then again, there are no S&S police, so you are always free to make your own choice. :)
These are timeless words! I will quote you in the future, obviously with proper attribution, hahaha. We all need to remember that the book is a guideline, not a law. It sets a path and objective that we can choose to follow or not. More so, we can follow to the best of our abilities where it servers us and deviate where it does not serve us.

I am getting to this point as well so appreciate the discussion, but I'll be going from a 28 KG to a 36 KB bell. I have been completing Timeless Simple with the 28 KG bell for over a week, and plan to stick with it until Dec 25th until mixing in the 36 KB bell (it's a Christmas gift, so that works well to make me stick with the 28 KG bell for longer). For me, when I don't use a timer at all, I naturally finish the swings in about 7:30 and finish the get ups pretty much right at the 10 min mark. I don't think there's a benefit or reason to time test at this weight, but I could be wrong.

My weekly workout schedule has been:
1) complete S&S with the 28 KG bell 4 times a week. (two times each 1-handed, 2-handed swings)
2) one day use the lighter bell (at this point a 16 KG bell) for the get ups.
3) one day skip S&S and find some other challenge. Last week it was a timed track workout.
4) take one day completely off
5) Add pull up fighter program and some pressing work a few times a week, being mindful of not overtraining.

Thanks for the replies! I think I will stick with the program as scheduled.. just re read the section in S and S about step loading, I feel like holding back and owning the weight is the way to go. Cheers!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom