all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Simple and Sinister and 50k race

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Caleb McCain

Level 4 Valued Member
Thoughts on maintaining S&S while training for 50k in mountains of eastern Tennessee (Stump Jump 50k)? 160 lbs. 40kg for swings and TGUs currently .
Thanks!

Thoughts on maintaining S&S while training for 50k in mountains of eastern Tennessee (Stump Jump 50k)? 160 lbs. 40kg for swings and TGUs currently .
Thanks!
Do you want to finish the race, or do you want to finish well? 50k normally isn't that long of a race, (in the world of ultras) but the Stump Jump has some pretty decent technical bits, and it certainly has some significant elevation gain.

I would focus on running, and 'leg stuff' and de-focus on the S&S. Maybe only do S&S a couple of times a week...(or only once even)

I ran it 5 years ago in 6:28. Subsequently began KB training. I'd like to improve that old time by 30 to 60 min while maintaining the decent GPP that KBs have brought to my world. Lacking major hills around here I have also been running whilst dragging a tire around a hay field for a few miles at a time (should have mentioned that).

I ran it 5 years ago in 6:28. Subsequently began KB training. I'd like to improve that old time by 30 to 60 min while maintaining the decent GPP that KBs have brought to my world. Lacking major hills around here I have also been running whilst dragging a tire around a hay field for a few miles at a time (should have mentioned that).
Get 'Training for the Uphill Athlete' by House | Jornet | Johnston

I think by the book it would be 2 sessions per week. You could also split swings and tgus and do only of them before your runs with at least Goblet Squats for your warmup.

For example split S+S monday thru thursday followed by shorter runs, and then an LSD run on saturday.

How often do you run per week?

I secondnthe Uphill Athlete. I just finished it and liked it. I also read most of their Alpinism book as well, and I got the best explanations to date on what going on for long, multihour pursuits. Unfortunately, I have to do quite a bit of extrapolation since I’m applying it to marathon MTB. It’s helped me make a correction in my racing so far this year, and hopefully it will pay off in the big race Saturday.

Another good book is Jason Koop’s book on ultrarunning.

IMHO you can scale back SS.

I could maintain simple-standard by doing SS twice a week (as a test) during my 15 week prep for a 50k trail run last year. My standard strength work to my running is Dan Martin Program Minimum. Search this forum or check out Dan Johns forum for more info.

Last edited by a moderator:
I secondnthe Uphill Athlete. I just finished it and liked it. I also read most of their Alpinism book as well, and I got the best explanations to date on what going on for long, multihour pursuits. Unfortunately, I have to do quite a bit of extrapolation since I’m applying it to marathon MTB. It’s helped me make a correction in my racing so far this year, and hopefully it will pay off in the big race Saturday.

Another good book is Jason Koop’s book on ultrarunning.

Where are you racing Sat, @vegpdlr?

As Stefan said, id put the focus on the aerobic development of running and the peripheral durability to NOT slow in the 50k (much). Long runs. Double run weekends etc. Id maybe use SS as active recovery days 2x per week. IMHO

Tahoe Trail 100k. It’s a Leadville Qualifier. I recently raced the Carson City Off Road and had a good day, so we’ll see how it goes. Hopefully I make the time cutoff and win the lottery for another chance at the big one in Leadville next year.

The DMPM is great. It is similar to S&S, and I think they could be combined in a weekly program that emphasized endurance training. That’s basically what I’ll be doing for the rest of the summer.

Tahoe Trail 100k. It’s a Leadville Qualifier. I recently raced the Carson City Off Road and had a good day, so we’ll see how it goes. Hopefully I make the time cutoff and win the lottery for another chance at the big one in Leadville next year.

The DMPM is great. It is similar to S&S, and I think they could be combined in a weekly program that emphasized endurance training. That’s basically what I’ll be doing for the rest of the summer.
Oh nice, good luck! I had a few folks racing at Carson City. I love the riding up there. Where I cut my teeth. Im racing an NUE race at Sugarloaf Maine this weekend. Get some!

How did the race go?

I just scaled back SS based on feel when running 6 days per week. Sometimes I'd do 2-5 days of swings and get ups. Sometimes as written, others I'd use a lighter bell, or wave bells, 10/10 with 16, 24, 32, 40. That's 80 swings pretty quickly.

@Derek Toshner, any comments on this book?

Thank you.

-S-
I read it. Its a good solid endurance (trail running and ski mountaineering) book. Follows simple periodization and a lot of Maffetone type pacing guides. The strength is written as if by...an endurance coach. But still some good nuggets in there.

Sorry...im not Derek though:)

How did the race go?
Good and bad. Mostly bad. I failed to make the cutoff time for my second lap by just a couple of minutes, as I saw people climbing the last pitch I was descending. The good was my pacing and nutrition tweaks I implemented since the last races worked well. I felt good and ready for the second lap that I wasn’t allowed to complete. Same as in Pb. Boo.

I felt good and had a great ride, just not fast enough, per usual. One of these days I’ll get it right.

Good and bad. Mostly bad. I failed to make the cutoff time for my second lap by just a couple of minutes, as I saw people climbing the last pitch I was descending. The good was my pacing and nutrition tweaks I implemented since the last races worked well. I felt good and ready for the second lap that I wasn’t allowed to complete. Same as in Pb. Boo.

I felt good and had a great ride, just not fast enough, per usual. One of these days I’ll get it right.
That's too bad.
What are your plans / thoughts for doing different next year in the way of prep?

That's too bad.
What are your plans / thoughts for doing different next year in the way of prep?
Be more methodical and structured in my training. I did some things differently this year and definitely learned from them.

While my time was off, I felt great and rode well. I rode climbs that in the past required some walking. I was always within myself and ready for a second lap. In the past, I was trashed, and really struggled through the second lap. They also changed the course, adding a lengthy single track section which was techy and fun, but slowed me down.

After reading House and Johnston, I’ve got a little better picture of what is going on. I need more consistent volume over time, especially in winter. I’ve learned about strength, and proved to myself that it can combine well with MAF training. Maffetone had me scared of the gym for years. Using things like the DMPM, Easy Strength, the Southwood workout and Tactical Barbell got me stronger, and now I ride better. The added strength also made it possible to do some LT intervals for the first time in years. In the past they always trashed me. But I realize now that one session a week with higher aerobic volume would be better than what I did.

One of these days I’ll figure it out.

Until then, the last race I had planned on is the Cascade Creampuff in Oakridge, OR. I’ll do the 50 mile option on what I’ve heard are amazing trails. I’ve got a little hankering for redemption, so if thenschedule permits, maybe the LQS Barn Burner in Flag in Sept.?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom