all posts post new thread

Old Forum simple and sinister builds beyond belief!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Harald Motz

Level 8 Valued Member
- 200 sessions of s&s (since 01.01.2014) with daily ability of performing the simple goals

- tomorrow ending first four weeks on the " from simple to sinister" schedule (easy with h.r. monitor but verrry hardstyle)

- gained the ability to hold a front lever for a solid 10 sec. without really training it

- having faith to the program be patient, keep on going and being amused about the things happening

- thanks to the whole s.f. crowd

- bigger butt

- prominent traps and lats

- strong delts

- rugged, not tiny midsection a mixture of a sixpack and a monolith

- wiry quads (I am riding chickens)

- solid forearms

- calm and patient mind

Mind blowing, inspirational...that's excellent. How were you before you started; were you already a strongman, someone who was lifting weights and exercising in one way or another?

- gained the ability to hold a front lever for a solid 10 sec. without really training it

Having worked on FL a fair bit I would call that a big deal on its own! Very inspiring all and all.

Abdul, you can see something about my background when you click on my name and read "thoughts on simple and sinister" .

Excellent, Harald!

Please do me a favor and post a review of S&S on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Kettlebell-Simple-Sinister-Pavel-Tsatsouline-ebook/dp/B00GF2HP9G/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top/191-5532134-2881502

Pavel, i think i will wait a little bit with my review. i have some trust in in your programming and my execution, that will continue to amaze me.

in germany an apprenticeship lasts generally 3,5 years, when you are clever 2.5 and when you are clever and smart 2 years.

i am on your s&s not even 1.5 years....

and meanwhile kettlebell simple and sinister will build beyond belief.

last weekend i pulled my first 2.5 bodyweight deadlift (230kg). According to my traininglog up to 90% of my training in 2015 consisted of the swing and get up menu which seems to build some strength.

Especially my last 8weeks on the "from simple to sinister" schedule was a good option.

I did the swing plan with the 40kg and hit the next 10reps when my heart rate dropped below 120bpm.

That did a few good things: - i was stress free while training - i could focus on technique and explosiveness while swinging - focus on breathing and calming down while resting - nourishing "patience of strength"

This plan is simple, but not eaysy while the volume really builds up over time.

Greetings from the westerwald, and keep going on the good work, all of you.

Great thread and powerful insights, Harald.  I believe this program is lightyears ahead of its time.  The key where most stumble is by not trusting the writings.  Simple tweaks are not necessary.  Keeping one self disciplined to stay on track reaps monster benefit that too many miss by rewriting.

Mark, i totally agree with you.

The problems start to emerge when ego is manipulating the program.

Maybe ego says:

- swings and get ups are not enough, i have to add...

- the swings took me 6min33sec, so tomorrow i will compress my rest periods more (although the swings are not hatdstyle anymore after the 3rd set)

- the book says to do s&s frequently almost every day, so i will do s&s eight days a week

- my left shoulder started to hurt a little bit last week but the get up can not be a reason, because it is the best exercise for shoulder strength an mobility

So the ego is never satisfied and is so much smarter than you really are. It is constantly comparing to someone and something and fuelled by emotions. It is a babbling voice in the mind. Its enemies are patience an stillness.

To have ego is a part of a human being, and the weaker it gets, the stronger, calmer and more patient the bodymind becommes.

We have a crawl space in our loft with a small hatch to access. Went in there last night for the first time since Christmas (hiding presents). Previously I've just shrugged my shoulders and crawled through. Last nigh, after barely two months on S&S and nothing else, I couldn't get through by shrugging; I had to turn sideways. 8O)

Oh and I've had to pull my belt in two notches over the same period.

Paul, your story reminds me of what has happened to me last sunday.

I visited my parents with my bicycle. I unlocked the door with my  key.

When i left the house later i rode back to my apartment where i discovered that i forgot my keys.

I took my way back to my parents, but they left the house so that there was nobody to open the door.

The only solution to get my keys was to squirm through a little cellar window divided by an iron tube, which had never been a problem.

After getting my legs in i felt: oh s***, my butt got to big to get into the cellar. With a little patience and really pushing through i finally got in. The next time  i have to flex the glutes to bend the bar or i am in a trap like a poor mouse.

This reminds me of investing. I wonder how similar the personality of great investors and great lifters are. In both cases you reap benefits by picking a smart strategy and sticking with it Also in both cases you drop to average by attempting to "fix" your strategy along the way.

Harald, this is an awesome thread and congratulations to you.

when you say '200 sessions of s&s (since 01.01.2014) with daily ability of performing the simple goals' do you mean you tried to achieve the rep and time goals for the Simple standard every day? Or did you moderate your intensity sometimes?

cheers, Simon

Travis, that's a really good parallel. I've often thought that strength training is like insurance; you pay your subs and when you need it, it's there. If you don't pay your subs and you need strength, in a fight, to move furniture, in a tight spot when taking part in sports etc, then you are in trouble.

As an example the wife of a close friend of mine is a yoga instructor and when demonstrating a TGU she remarked that it was a good way to damage your spine. I explained that the TGU when done properly, with qualified instruction and an appropriate load, will strengthen the stabilising muscles that will protect against the very type of injury she described. Insurance against injury, against sickness, again dangerous situations.

What's odd is that most people make their investment or pay their subs on time and regularly quite happily. With any type of physical training a lot of people (and I admit to doing this myself in the past) don't stick with the program but hunt around for "the next big thing" or the latest "get ripped in eight weeks" pitch. The phenomenon is present in medical patients who will go from doctor to doctor until they get the diagnosis they want to hear. Usually the one they have convinced themselves is the condition they do or don't have.

It would be interesting to see a Myers Briggs type survey comparing profiles of lifters to other activities such as investors. Anyone know of anything like that?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom