all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Simple and sinister diet plan

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Team Peroni

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello,

I am a 44 year old male from Christchurch England, just wanted some advice around diet and the simple and sinister workout.

I am tackling the 32kg after a couple of months after starting the program.

Just wondering should I be increasing the amount of food/calories, protein, fats when I increase the kettlebell weight during the program .

I train 6 days a week with 1 rest day, today I managed 100 swings without putting the 24kg kettlebell down and it felt great, as suggested in the book every 2 weeks.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Not simple (just yet) not sinister, just trying to be a better me.

Carlo.

Carlo

There are many ways to skin a cat. I personally eat a keto/primal diet and do not track macros. I've been working on trying to pay attention to what my body tells me it needs. If I were in your position I would keep a food log for two weeks (be honest with yourself) and also track your weight and how you feel. You can then correspond your recovery and progress based off what you've been eating. Not feeling recovered? You can look back and determine if you ate enough or got enough sleep.

Might help, might not. But the important thing is it can give you a baseline and help you adjust without being a slave to calories and macros

Just my $.02

-WF

Approaching Simple (which is decently strong) you will probably need mord calories.
As a very general rule when eating for performance:
Eat as much to sustain a high quality of training (i.e. progress steadily and "muscle joy") but as little not to gain fat.

I had a couple failed attempts to progress from the 24 to the 32. I was doing intermittent fasting at that time. I decided to stop doing IF while trasitioning to the heavier bell and eat as much as I wanted (or could). I also decided to use a 28 for swings. The last 2 months I've been eating like a bear and I haven't gained much fat. Now that I'm using the 28 for swings and 32 for tgu confidently, I will probably go back to IF for a few weeks. Then back to eating like a bear when I start the transition from 28 to 32.

So from my experience: eat more while transitioning to the heavier weight, unless you are already carrying too much fat. Track your waist circumference, and reassess once you settle with the heavier kettlebell, if your waist circumference went up.

For me, transitioning from 32kg to 40kg for swings and get-ups definitely required a significant calorie increase. I was tracking my calories for a short time and was eating between 2,800 and 3,500 calories a day and maintaining my weight of 64kg (140lbs).

There was no conscious adjustment made to my diet, I just found that I was ravenously hungry when I was training heavy almost every day. I've taken a couple of days off and it feels like my appetite has been cut in half. The metabolic effect of hardstyle kettlebell training cannot be understated.

My best strength gains ever came when I upped my calories up to 700-1000kcal a day. About 3000-4000kcal a day. Food works pretty damn well. :)
This summer I did IF and lost ton of fat and strength. Now I try eat my gains back. :D

Absolutely agree with others....a training load increase will bring a greater demand for energy. Don't be afraid to eat more. If you've settled into a pattern of eating that works for you now be prepared to accept a change ie, you currently do IF but the 32 may turn that you into a 3 meals a day guy instead. Go with it and return to IF some other time. Or you on a fat loss thing, whatever it maybe and get worried about your increasing food capacity.You may need more carb, more protein but maybe not. Go with the changes and enjoy. You know, in moderation.

Hello,

I am a 44 year old male from Christchurch England, just wanted some advice around diet and the simple and sinister workout.

I am tackling the 32kg after a couple of months after starting the program.

Just wondering should I be increasing the amount of food/calories, protein, fats when I increase the kettlebell weight during the program .

I train 6 days a week with 1 rest day, today I managed 100 swings without putting the 24kg kettlebell down and it felt great, as suggested in the book every 2 weeks.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Not simple (just yet) not sinister, just trying to be a better me.

Carlo.
Carlo from your avatar pic we carry around the same BF percentage, I would bet you have a fast metabolism.

Eat what your body needs and don't over think it, you'll steadily gain strength with patience. If you're new to KB training there's an adjustment period of a year or so while joints, ligaments, tendons and stabilizers get stronger, be careful about pushing this bar.

More strength will come but you have to pay the toll of patience and slowly widen your strength base, injuries suck and pushing on the wrong day at the wrong time without a solid base could spell trouble and cause setbacks, I know this from experience. Get strong slowly... steadily... safely...

I think the only time to worry about amount you eat is if you are eating junk food, high calorie, flavor enhanced, expertly designed to drive desire to eat eat eat. Real food, just eat to match your hunger as several have mentioned above

just do what I do and gain and lose the same 10lbs of fat year in year out, while getting progressivly stronger. (y);):confused:
Seriously eat health real foods, work some endurance Hike/run (Hiking is better in IMHO) and kinda most importantly, for me any way, is don't stress. when im not stressed out about stuff im leaner even if my diet is the same/sucks.

I've noticed the "I need food now" effects of s&s. I'm omad guy (with a bcaa and greens powder drink on the way home from work before my meal). When I get zeroed in on the plan I get ravenous. I'm seriously thinking about opening up my eating window to a more of a lean gains with an eight hour eating window. After all winter is fast approaching so why show off my tummy when I can eat more yummy right now.

To everyone who has replied thank you very much for your advice. Definitely a WTH effect with KB simple and sinister and food. Feel like I could just eat and eat. I think as you've all advised I'll listen to my body and eat as much good stuff as needed. Feel great doing this program and absolutely love it. Thanks guys.

On another note, can anyone tell me please how to change my name on this forum.....? Mr Carlo Peroni seems a bit to formal..

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom