all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Simple and Sinister on vacation

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

AndyM

First Post
In two weeks I am going on vacation to visit my mother for 6 days. Currently I am doing:

-3 sets of swings with a 50 pound kettlebell, 2 sets with a 28 kg
-3 get ups with a 50 pound kettlebell, 2 get ups with a 28 kg

I've worked my way up over the last 2.5 years from a 10 pound kettlebell and I'm worried about losing progress at my age (almost 52). I might be able to get a 35 pound kettlebell from a local Walmart but I don't think I'll be able to get a heavier one while I'm there. As Pavel said in the Enter the Kettlebell video, I'm suffering from "Too much coffee!" Does anyone have any suggestions?

In two weeks I am going on vacation to visit my mother for 6 days. Currently I am doing:

I've worked my way up over the last 2.5 years from a 10 pound kettlebell and I'm worried about losing progress at my age (almost 52). I might be able to get a 35 pound kettlebell from a local Walmart but I don't think I'll be able to get a heavier one while I'm there. As Pavel said in the Enter the Kettlebell video, I'm suffering from "Too much coffee!" Does anyone have any suggestions?
A week's deload can actually improve your performance moving forward. A bigger concern is a psychological one... not resuming your S&S after your vacation.

If you must, maintain your mobility with naked getups and use your duffle bag for cleans and getups... keeps the core and the hip hinge engaged in a complementary manner.

You won’t lose the benefit of 2.5 years of consistent work by taking a week off. In fact, as others pointed out, you may well be stronger and fresher for the time off when you get home. Enjoy your Mom.

@AndyM, you will feel a little funny when you come back, but one can't always move forward forever. Sometimes, a week off and allowing yourself to lose a little will help you move forward even better. Go with the flow, take the week off, and see how you feel when you come back, and expect that whatever you might lose, it will come back much faster than the initial progress to that same point took you to reach.

-S-

6 days...
I’m pretty sure the KB’s will be waiting patiently for you upon your return.

Enjoy your vacation

I travel frequently. This is not a perfect S&S solution, but have found it works extremely well. I bought a GoRuck 60 lb sandbag. When I land, I take a quick trip to Home Depot and get 50-60 lbs of garden pea gravel. About $7. Then just dump the gravel when I leave.

I've been favoring C&P for 20-30 mins with the talk test. Theoretically you can do swings with it, but its a but awkward. You can definitely do getups. But, its been a great solution when I can't get to my kettlebells.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom