all posts post new thread

S&S+, Judo, Kendo, Historical & Modern Fencing, Walking.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I gave the one arm pushup a try on both sides, and while I can hold the top position no problem and bend my arm a little, I've otherwise lost the skill - same story for pistols. In any case, that stuff for me is when I'm away from my equipment, and I'm not too bothered by the current loss.

:(

It must have been because I had just done a million chinups and dips because at judo last night I did lots of one arm pushups, no problem!

Have you done low bar dips are are you doing parallel bar dips and straight bar dips?

Raising the Bar! is brilliant. While the programming is rather slim, I don't think programming matters as much as consistent practice when you are chasing certain calisthenics goals...

It's really interesting how the kavadlos build up to doing this really amazing stuff simply by plugging away at lower level movements

... as for training the legs, sometimes I feel better when I simply don't train them for a while.. I don't seem to lose much strength during these periods.

I've thought of taking up running to go with chins/dips/hanging knee raise, but I don't know where to start as far as learning to jog is concerned

I'd be interested to hear if you've experienced DOMS in your legs after pull up day.. I have..

take care

Have you done low bar dips are are you doing parallel bar dips and straight bar dips?

Raising the Bar! is brilliant. While the programming is rather slim, I don't think programming matters as much as consistent practice when you are chasing certain calisthenics goals...

It's really interesting how the kavadlos build up to doing this really amazing stuff simply by plugging away at lower level movements

... as for training the legs, sometimes I feel better when I simply don't train them for a while.. I don't seem to lose much strength during these periods.

I've thought of taking up running to go with chins/dips/hanging knee raise, but I don't know where to start as far as learning to jog is concerned

I'd be interested to hear if you've experienced DOMS in your legs after pull up day.. I have..

take care
Weirdly, I can tell that the pullups and dips are strengthening my quads and other parts of my legs. How do I know? They are getting sore weirdly these days at judo and they never did before. It's a correlation if not a cause, at least.

The problem with programming is that our bodies are weird and don't like to stick to schedules. I agree with the goal oriented approach - basically for me it's to do as much hanging from and moving up and down on the bar and rings as possible, as much as possible. Because even just hanging there from the bar is isometric exercise, it's a question of "time on task" rather than one of reps and sets.

It's judo that got me back into these. I frankly need the strength, and I need the control of my own body weight in order to progress at judo. I need to become master of my own body before I can become master of my opponent's.

I need to add that if it weren't for judo, I wouldn't have seen anything at all deficient in S&S nor kettlebells generally. In "real life" picking up foreign objects would seem a more useful skill than picking up yourself. But in any case, the dragon is now loose and I won't be able to give up my callisthenics. I ended up gravitating towards callisthenics as a teen in spite of having weights, and I kept it going until a few yeas ago when I started S&S in order to begin "real" weight training. But, I threw out the baby with the bathwater by giving up callisthenics. That was dumb.

S&S does a lot, callisthenics adds to it, and judo makes it all exciting!

Regarding running/jogging: you start out by walking, then by adding in some jogs mixed into it, then eventually mainly jogging with only a few breaks for walks.

I jog in my basement a lot forward and back, left and right, and other variations. This makes it more like the footwork directions used in judo.

Ring dips and chinups - these are the two bodyweight exercises I am focussing on with the GTG method. I can do them and they load a lot of weight onto myself. The rings make it a better dip exercise.

Ran a little experiment this past week. No S&S, just GTG dips and chinups/pullups, focussing especially on the isometric aspects of the exercises - so not worrying so much about how may reps I'm doing (although these went up a lot!) but on holding myself off the ground for as long as possible, as much as possible during the day.

This is only a short period, but normally if I stopped S&S for a week I'd get flabby again. This time, no. I'm more "in shape" now than normally.

I get "legs" through judo training - lots of running and fighting.

S&S today; swings with the 32kg, getups with the 40kg. Swings took only 7 minutes.
7mins congratulations, 5mins is just around the corner.
When you hit 5mins don’t just do it once & abandon it. Stick with it until you can hit the 5 regularly without any real stress.
Really own that 32. We’ll done Kozushi

7mins congratulations, 5mins is just around the corner.
When you hit 5mins don’t just do it once & abandon it. Stick with it until you can hit the 5 regularly without any real stress.
Really own that 32. We’ll done Kozushi
Just finished S&S again today, this time right before going to judo. Then, I did a slue of ring dips and chinups with varied grips to exhaustion. We'll see what happens at judo in an hour.

Again, the swings took a mere 7 minutes (well, a bit over that as I'm using an analogue clock). I did the TGUs with the 32kg instead of the 40 in order to leave "gas in the tank" for judo according to the book. The TGUs felt a bit too easy, but better that way and save time than risk being late for judo. Altogether the S&S took only 25 minutes in total. I started it off with 15 hammer curls with the same 32kg bell.

I'm settling into S&S plus ring dips and chinups, these two latter being the add-ons I need for judo strength where moving my own weight around is about 90% of it. I certainly do not do S&S nor kettlebells generally "just for judo" - they are their own sport for me with their own pleasures and challenges, and their own independent rewards. The bodyweight stuff is also not only for judo, but it is certainly partly for judo.

Frankly speaking, ring dips, chinups and walking ought to give a good workout, although maybe the walking isn't hard enough cardio. This isn't my plan (to just do these), but I think they'd be sufficient for health and wellness.

Frankly speaking, ring dips, chinups and walking ought to give a good workout, although maybe the walking isn't hard enough cardio. This isn't my plan (to just do these), but I think they'd be sufficient for health and wellness.
The funny thing is that I have learned in the past few days that walking is indeed excellent cardio precisely because it "isn't hard enough", hehehe. Counterintuitive, but apparently true, this.

I want to be a "serious lifter". This goes beyond S&S - does not replace it, but goes beyond. This is why I had reactivated my bodyweight training in dips and chinups (I haven't been convinced to emphasize pullups over chinups although I know that many do so), and now I am dedicating serious effort to deadlifting.

As useful and as important as any kind of training and training equipment may be for overall athleticism and health, attaining maximum strength is its own goal. There are many ways to foster overall athleticism and wellness (higher reps, more sets, less rest), but only one to develop maximum strength, which is to lift heavier and heavier weights!!!

What I like about lifting heavy weight is how much strength I get out of so little actual time investment. Because I'm doing 4 nights a week of judo my mobility and conditioning needs are being met already.

Considering how well S&S is going right now with the 32kg bell, I really could see myself getting to Sinister and getting my name on the list. This motivates me!

2h swings were helping me a lot in judo when I was doing them frequently. The British military team dropped by to train with us this week, and I noticed some problems in my power production which I feel I didn't have back when I did the 2h swings nearly every day. I think I'll start doing more of "wrestling the kettlebell" according to the instructions in the S&S book.

Hmmm... The two handed swings seem too easy now. They get my heart rate up but I'm too sold on the 1h swings. So after the 100 2h swings with the 40 I rested and tried some 1h swings with it. Nope. Too darn hard STILL! It's more like I'm doing high pulls than swings with them. I can't believe that I can manipulate the 32kg so fluidly yet can't do more than five, very crummy 1h swings with the 40! Oh well. Maybe this is just the way my body works. Perhaps it's the fact that the 40kg bell has such a fat handle. I've been wondering about this.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom