all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Simple and Sinister Test - Oakland's Most Powerful

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
My main takeaway from that video is that I really need to work more on my breathing. It sounds like he did a really nice job on his breath during swings. I have a tendency to hold my breath and not inhale enough, which probably really hurts my performance in the timed tests.

My main takeaway from that video is that I really need to work more on my breathing. It sounds like he did a really nice job on his breath during swings. I have a tendency to hold my breath and not inhale enough, which probably really hurts my performance in the timed tests.
Yes, he does a great job with that double-sniff inhale. It does help!

I think that can be some of the real value in doing longer sets of swings occasionally (20-25). You have to learn to breath well during the swings or you gas out really easily due to lack of air more than anything else. With 10 swings you can get away with poor breathing, so bad habits can perpetuate.

Recovery after the set is better if you breathe well during the set! This is definitely one of the keys to eventually passing the timed test.

I came across this awesome video of a timed simple test from Oakland's Most Powerful.
What struck me was the unorthodox grip orientation of his swings - same with Coach Melissa of Oakland's Most Powerful in another inspiring video:

I find Coach Mel's TGUs really impressive - smooth, powerful transitions to controlled, paused positions from first rep to last. Forearm off the floor in the to-elbow transition really seems to put her shoulder in a strong, externally-rotated position that allows for extra leverage off the back of her upper-arm. [Good music too !!]

BTW, it is well-worth checking out the other videos in the library of Oakland's Most Powerful YouTube Channel

Coach Melissa of Oakland's Most Powerful in another inspiring video:

Beautifully done!! I agree, the get-ups are really impressive, as are the swings.

Another great thing to notice about swing breathing, with Melissa's video. She uses the power breath early in the swing, on the hard part of the effort, where it should be. It's very common to see people with the power breathing exhale near the top of the swing --- and the effort follows the breath... to where the effort is late... as the bell is already through the legs on the upswing. Better to put the hard effort in early -- powerfully launch the bell, then let it float to the top. She does that really well.

A while back, I asked Oakland's Most Powerful about the unusual grip as I found it was helping my one arm swings.

This was their reply:
"I started doing this unconsciously and just feel stronger with my grip at the top of the swing. I sometimes keep the neutral/pistol grip at the bottom as well. I notice @mo.throws007 did this as well when she was training for Sinister . It's an option you can try but not a preference for SFG testing standards because of safety. There's a potential for hyperextending the elbow at the bottom of the swing using the pistol grip."

Looks like they've changed their swing slightly - to address risk of hyperextending the elbow in the back swing. I really liked their swings before, now I like them even more. The pistol grip at the top of the float really resonates with me.

Looks like they've changed their swing slightly - to address risk of hyperextending the elbow in the back swing. I really liked their swings before, now I like them even more. The pistol grip at the top of the float really resonates with me.

That's an awesome and very powerful swing!

Beautifully done!! I agree, the get-ups are really impressive, as are the swings.

Another great thing to notice about swing breathing, with Melissa's video. She uses the power breath early in the swing, on the hard part of the effort, where it should be. It's very common to see people with the power breathing exhale near the top of the swing --- and the effort follows the breath... to where the effort is late... as the bell is already through the legs on the upswing. Better to put the hard effort in early -- powerfully launch the bell, then let it float to the top. She does that really well.
I tend to start the forceful exhale when my vertical plank is snapping into place. She is finishing the exhale at that moment. Do you think starting the exhale slightly earlier is the key to unlocking longer sets of heavier reps?

I tend to start the forceful exhale when my vertical plank is snapping into place.
I do, too

She is finishing the exhale at that moment. Do you think starting the exhale slightly earlier is the key to unlocking longer sets of heavier reps?
Worth experimenting with, for sure! Earlier snap is more effective, and earlier breath assists that.

Watching her video again at .5 speed I noticed something else -- she takes a quick full inhale at the top of the downswing. Also seems worth experimenting with! I usually inhale through the downswing.

I do, too

Worth experimenting with, for sure! Earlier snap is more effective, and earlier breath assists that.

Watching her video again at .5 speed I noticed something else -- she takes a quick full inhale at the top of the downswing. Also seems worth experimenting with! I usually inhale through the downswing.
I have been doing a slow smooth inhale from the start of the hinge to the bottom of the swing, brace and explode into the tall plank.

I have noticed that a percentage of these are not that 'snappy' but feel more like a 'push' with the hips. I will experiment with different breath placements for a few sessions to see if there is more snap!

Thinking this through.
Exhale on:
Before snap.
On snap.
After snap.

Pros/cons?

I'm on hip snap. Point of impact into plank.
Just playing with that, either before or after just feels weird.

Quick sniff on downswing. I play with double sniff if doing continuous sets and if tired fatigued but usually stop before then anyway.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom