all posts post new thread

Old Forum Simple and Sinister

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

dkimbrel

First Post
I am about a month into the program and have been training about 6 days a week with 100 2 hand swings and 10 getups. I feel like I'm negecting certain body parts, namely chest. Any suggestions for working in other exercises? Or should just stay with these 2?

It's a strength program, not a bodybuilding program.

Stick with those 2 exercises until you reach the simple goals.

Once a foundation of strength has been established you can then move on to another program.

Or, if the goals of S&S don't match your goals pick up a different program like kettlebell muscle.

match the program to your goals not the goals to your program

I felt the same when I first started S&S having spent so long working each body part in the gym. However since reaching the simple goals I have never felt stronger but in a different way than before in that everything just feels easier which is not something I could say before.

I would say don't worry about your chest as you will see amazing all round strength gains including your chest.

S&S completely changed how I think about my strength and fitness as I never really trained my body as a single unit, I am now on ROP and training is fun and I haven't been to a gym in 12 months but am stronger than ever before thanks to Pavel and a simple kettlebell!

I started with 16kg for the getup and have gotten to 10 in 10 minutes, should I start moving weight up?  I started with 24kg in swing, I am doing 100 2 hand swings in about 8 minutes but I struggle with the 1 hand swings, should I move weight down and work on 1 hand or stay with 24kg and keep doing 2 hand swings until I get to 100 in 5 minutes

This will help you:

http://www.strongfirst.com/simple-sinister-progressing-from-two-to-one-handed-swings/

Think of S&S as movement, explosive power, strength - "fitness" in the original meaning, ie. putting all together. Follow the program and get "fit".

Doug, be patient, you will really start seeing results once you hit the "Simple" goals/

Chris, please do me a favor and post a review of S&S on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Kettlebell-Simple-Sinister-Pavel-Tsatsouline-ebook/product-reviews/B00GF2HP9G/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_btm?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

S&S is a full body strength and conditioning program.  once you start to get towards the simple goals and beyond you will begin to notice chest shoulders and triceps strength and development along with forearms biceps back and abbies.  the static hold of a heavy bell in the TGU builds good strength from the fingers to waist.  stick with the program if it is of interest to you and will help you achieve your objectives.  frankly at only 1 month into a program like S&S and still working 2H swings you are still looking at the cover of the book each day - once you start to wear out the pages and you are 3 to 6 months in you will see tremendous results … but only if you stick to it.

Can anybody post before and after pictures?

Senior RKC Andrew Read created a program very similar to s&s awhile back (Called program maximum)

I asked him what kind of physical development he saw, he said he got really big forearms from the swings, and that was about it.

If people are getting different physical results I would like to see them, I would have a go a the program if my development wasn't going to take a blow.

Asking for before and after pictures indicates not "getting it", imo.  If you are after aesthetic gains then this is not the program for you.  High rep, body-part specific bodybuilding routines with tons of food are what will give you that.  S&S is a stripped-down no-BS program to develop functional, athletic strength and conditioning largely targeted towards the needs of people who can't afford to completely burn out their bodies in the gym because they have to be able to use their body on a daily basis.  Or people who simply don't have time for more than this.  It produces absolutely phenomenal results in relation to the time it takes, the amount of energy it leaves you for other things and the fact that it is absolutely idiot-proof (provided said idiot is not too smart to read and follow instructions.)  If you want to have impressive muscles, don't do this.  I gained weight and my musculature is much more harmoniously developed but with clothes on I look more or less the same as always (this is a bonus for me.)  Do S&S if you don't care how you look with clothes on but are more interested in being able to throw heavy rocks, climb trees, wrestle your friends, lift patients, break down doors, carry heavy kit, break jaws, run fast, kick hard, take punches, ruck 10k and then after all of that come home relaxed and smiling with enough energy left to give the missus a bit of a love-tussle before bed.  That is what S&S is for.  That is what it does.

Charles,

I appriciate you taking time to respond, i have a very physical job and still squat, bench, and weighted pullup everyday (mostly).

I went through the phase where i didn't think physical changes mattered. I'm not there anymore, if thats not getting it, I'm ok with that.

I'm still curious if anyone has any before or after pictures, I appriciate everyone who takes time to respond.

Charles-  Great post and characterization of the program! :]  Super funny.

Jon- No before and after picts, but after a while working hard with the 32kg, definitely broader shoulders and thicker neck.  We'll see what happens with the 40kg...  You could also check out Al Ciampa's physique working the 48kg.  Wow! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzhip0OhpBo

And Stefan's, very different. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plA_lCdHsM4

Both mutants in their own way.

Thanks for the advice Micheal!

yeah Al's physique is awesome, he was a mutant to start with though...

will check out Stephan.

like most i started kettlebells with ETK, would love an excuse to revisit Program Minimum in its new form.

may just come down to wanting to be part of the group, i wouldn't want to give up squat bench pullups though.

Is there a mini version to be added to normal lifting routine?

I thought about adding the reps version on as a after burn, don't think i would make sinister that way though...

There's not really a "mini" version, but the book says if you want to add it to another program, just back S&S off to twice per week.

Thanks for the response Travis!

What i mean to ask is, has anyone hit sinister with the twice a week program tacked on to a convetional weight lifting program?

Anybody Doing Twice a week?

two questions:

1, how did it affect your real lifting

2, what numbers are you putting up

Ive been lifting seriously for 15 years; while I appriciate the zeal of those getting into lifting for the first time (one of the reasons I frequent the forums), I would also like some specific results if anybody is using the 2 a week with regular lifting.

Just one example.

http://www.strongfirst.com/topic/simple-and-sinister-and-an-existing-program-thanks-pavel/

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom