all posts post new thread

Nutrition Simple approach to food

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

TheSajmon

Level 3 Valued Member
Hello,
I'm training for a few years now, but I have allways struggled with food. I also like everything simple. The simpler the better.
I have come here to search for help and advice as I know a lot of folk here like things simple as well.

I have read the WD from Ori and I really liked the book and approach, but did not ever tried it, because I'm afraid to lose the little hardly gained muscle I have. I loose weight really easily.

I also do not enjoy everyday cooking and eating. I think the food doesn't have to be tasty but have to contain all the necessary nutrients.
I want enjoyable food only from time to time.

I'd like to find most healthy, easiest food to cook and to prepare. Best if the amount will suffice for two or three days. Nutritionally rich to be able to stay on my weight or gain some more.

I do not react well to excesive amout of dairy. My body also do not react well to overprocessed food and artifical sweeteners - most of the supplements. I'm getting a really bad acne after this.
On the other hand I think I'm able to digest legumes well.

Do you suggest any dietary approach for me to try? Do you have any easy meals which can be cycled and provide everthing needed? Or do you think my aproach is completely wrong? Thank you very much for your attention and I'm looking forward to any ideas.

For what you describe, I eat frittata and meatloaf often.

The simplest dietary approach I default to is to eat micronutrients. Turns out everything just falls into place when I focus on the micronutrients. Eggs and fruit for breakfast, soups/salads/nuts for lunch, meat and veggies for dinner and sweet potatoes (loaded of course) for dessert.

@TheSajmon, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

A few thoughts for you:

People who lose weight easily are sometimes - sometimes - people who, whether they're aware of it or not, have a lot of stress in their lives. That's a thing to consider. Adding a soft practice to your life can help with this, e.g., meditation.

The Warrior Diet doesn't have to mean losing muscle. It's about alternating periods of under- and over-eating, not starving and not fasting.

Cook on the weekend. We make large amounts of hamburgers, what we call Sloppy Joe (which is ground beef and tomato sauce served over bread or rolls), quiche, and many things in our slow cooker like pulled pork and a wonderful Moroccan soup called harira. All these things, thanks to air-tight glass containers with plastic lids, are still good to eat a week later.

-S-

If you handle beans well, try the slow carb diet. Legumes make up the main portion of the diet. Works great for me with a bit of fasting, but fasting is not required. If you are concerned about muscle loss add BCAA's and you are good to go.

Hello,
I'm training for a few years now, but I have allways struggled with food. I also like everything simple. The simpler the better.
I have come here to search for help and advice as I know a lot of folk here like things simple as well.

I have read the WD from Ori and I really liked the book and approach, but did not ever tried it, because I'm afraid to lose the little hardly gained muscle I have. I loose weight really easily.

I also do not enjoy everyday cooking and eating. I think the food doesn't have to be tasty but have to contain all the necessary nutrients.
I want enjoyable food only from time to time.

I'd like to find most healthy, easiest food to cook and to prepare. Best if the amount will suffice for two or three days. Nutritionally rich to be able to stay on my weight or gain some more.

I do not react well to excesive amout of dairy. My body also do not react well to overprocessed food and artifical sweeteners - most of the supplements. I'm getting a really bad acne after this.
On the other hand I think I'm able to digest legumes well.

Do you suggest any dietary approach for me to try? Do you have any easy meals which can be cycled and provide everthing needed? Or do you think my aproach is completely wrong? Thank you very much for your attention and I'm looking forward to any ideas.
I too read Warrior Diet last year and began intermittent fasting in January (basically no eating till lunch, which was low-carb or just some nuts or an apple, then whatever for dinner, and not eating after 8pm).

I lost 30 pounds net over 4 months, and was training with S&S during that time, going from 24kg to 32kg swings and getups. So whether I lost or gained muscle while dropping pounds, I gained strength, which was more important to me.

I think muscle AND fat gain (or loss) is inevitable whenever weight gain (or loss) occurs. I do think the evidence (anecdotal and clinical) about IF making your body more efficient and effective at energy storage and use is compelling. This has the effect of more of the loss coming from fat (if losing weight) or more of the gain being lean issue rather than fat accumulation (if gaining weight).

I readily admit I was likely insulin resistant and IF was an easy (for me) way to “hack” my body to make it more insulin sensitive, which “opened the flood gates” of triglycerides packed in fat cells to be burned for energy.

All that to say - I wouldn’t worry about muscle loss if you are insulin sensitive: the glycogen used for exercise and/or fasting will be taken from you fat reserves or diet in an efficient manner. The body won’t eat muscle before fat unless the feedback mechanism is messed up (insulin resistance).

I'm curious what you are doing right now. You said you lose weight easily, which is usually what people struggle with, and you've eliminated foods that cause you problems with observation (the best way to go about it IMO).

Is it a diet issue or more of a meal planning issue for you?

These days I only train with barbell 3 times a week - mostly 5x5 (Squat, Deadlift, OverheadPress, Bench and BarbellRow) with only minor deviations. Training time is 11:00AM to 1:00PM.

As for my "diet", I mostly eat 3 times a day. Breakfast at work consists mostly of oats, piece of fruit, 100% peanut butter, sometimes yogurt, sometimes buttercoffee.
My lunch and dinner is for most of the times te same food as I cook only once. It is variety of meats (ground beef, chicken, sometimes a salmon, sometimes pork), legumes, rice, potatoes. I try to eat raw vegetables with my lunch and dinner. No soups.
From time to time I'm eating at restarant but I'm always tired afterwards when eating out.
Additional piece of fruit happens during the day. I also drink 1 or 2 black coffee a day (without milk or sugar).
There is little bit of struggle with my water intake but I think I'm able to drink from 1.2 to 2 liters of pure water a day.

About a year ago I have tried to "bulk" so I was eating s***loads of food but I was only forced to use the toilet more and my gut was not feeling well. I have gained about 5 kilos during three months and lost about 3 when stopped to stuff my face all day.
That is why I like the idea behind WD - the body is not burdened with digestion during the day so it can work properly and is ready to effectively use the nutrients provided in the evening.

My utopia is like - not eating during the day and focusing on my own goals and responsibilities and than eating the "ultimate dish" in the evening providing all the needed fuel for the body.

The perfect health diet has been very good to me.
The Diet - Perfect Health Diet

If you read the book the foreword is written by Mark Sisson (the paleo guy) and you will also come across recommendations of 16 hours of fasting among other tips.

Another good choice is Eat Stop Eat by Brad Pilon. Once or twice a week go 24 hours without eating. And if you are worried about protein intake etc. read his second book; How much Protein?
Incidentally, both PHD and HMP arrive at the same conclusion on how much protein is really needed on a daily basis.

Fritatta that was mentioned earlier in this thread is also a main staple of mine. Leftover meat and veggies and just throw eggs at it. What's not to like?

Keep in mind that I am not a professional.

Interesting diet, but it is a little contradictory to me. Rice is a grain, rice is in the safe starch section, but grains are in the "Do Not Eat" section. Then there are nuts in the pleasure food section, but we also find peanuts in the "Do Not Eat" section. Lastly, legumes are not a part of this diet, even though they are good sources of protein, but starches and natural sugars in sweet veggies & fruits are good to go.

Interesting diet, but it is a little contradictory to me. Rice is a grain, rice is in the safe starch section, but grains are in the "Do Not Eat" section. Then there are nuts in the pleasure food section, but we also find peanuts in the "Do Not Eat" section. Lastly, legumes are not a part of this diet, even though they are good sources of protein, but starches and natural sugars in sweet veggies & fruits are good to go.

They do make sense in their own view. They consider that different foods have different levels of toxins, for example phytates. The toxins are the issue why they recommend to avoid grains such as wheat and so and also the legumes. When it comes to nuts vs peanuts, peanut is not a nut but a legume, so it's forbidden because of it.

Whether the diet itself makes sense, is a whole another issue.

I recommend reading the book. It explains why and there are links to studies (which are also available on the webpage: Notes to the Book - Perfect Health Diet | Perfect Health Diet if you're interested) I also found it strange at first because I had recently read the 4 hour body back then.

also, I am not affiliated with them in any form whatsoever.

Bought a gluten free pizza today. Don't normally buy gluten free products to be fair. even though I am one of those gluten free types. Usually my gluten free options are bananas and nuts. I've yet to see a gluten free banana but reckon it's not long off. Plenty of gluten free rice around for twice the price of plain old gluten free normal unlabelled rice. It's good cux I can make gluten free rice pudding with my gluten free milk and sprinkle with some gluten free nutmeg. Anyway, I digress....this effing gluten free pizza ( I only really bought it cuz it was half price) was labelled as 'guilt free'. I was tempted to unbox these pizzas and play frisbee with them in the shop, guilt free you know, for a crack and not get arrested.

"Guilt free'..... Maybe I'm easily wound up. So by eating gluten infested pizza, I'm guilty. Guilty of the deadly sin of eating gluten. The pizza isn't the guilty thing of course because I've just bought a guilt free gluten free one. It's the gluten that is the guilty party. Dunno what's guilty about it. I have absolutely no idea what they're going on about.

It comes down to these forbidden foods on pick a diet any diet will do diets that restrict certain foods because someone says they're banned, or not allowed. Therefore eating things which have these forbidden things removed it becomes 'guilt free'. Bit like spliffing up, I s'pose, where it is llegal to do so. It's against the law, elsewhere. As far as I'm aware gluten isn't considered a narcotic. It maybe a neuroleptic but that's not the same thing. Certainly wouldn't smoke it.

I have issues with gluten but not to the extent that I feel victimised by corporate food production and it is my right to be able to have gluten free options of stuff that other people eat with gluten in them. No, I normally just don't eat stuff with gluten in it cuz it gives me grief, overtime and in quantity. So I usually just eat more of other stuff. It really isn't a big deal. I've just not had a pizza for a while, got a busy week and will chuck it in the oven this week sometime. I was only shopping, not having psychotherapy to address self-esteem issues.

So my point - if certain foodstuffs don't agree with you, for whatever reason, don't eat them. NO special diet required. And just carry on eating other things.

Peanuts aren't allowed cuz they are legumes? Where does this legume free thing come from, says who? If you eat legumes and you don't re-enact the Blazing Saddles scene in morning conferences then carry on eating your beans. It's ok. It really is ok. They are allowed because they are foods. Effing legume free Baked Beans next....guilt free too, probably. It's bonkers.
Don't eat peanuts of course if you are likely to die because of an allergy. Don't eat them if they cause stomach pains, upsets or explosive pus filled acne, or some other health issue. Don't not eat them though because they just aren't paleo and were only invented a couple of years ago. I'm very guilty of eating chocolate coated peanuts. They definitely didn't exist back in the day. Can't go wrong with them, mixed in with some raisins......oh hang on, they're banned too cuz of that FODMAP thing. Oh well, have a pizza. Since when did it get so complicated?

Guilt free food marketing......so by eating, we are shamed, guilty of denying a basic need for food. It's pitiful. I really shouldn't have bought the damned thing. I'm going to thoroughly enjoy it though with a bottle of red.

@ali you shouldn't hold back, sometimes you just need to let go. Maybe next time you can rant and let go....

I just feel like you were holding back in this post.....:D:p:eek::D:p:eek::D:p:eek::D:p:eek::D:p:eek::D:p:eek::D:p:eek::D:p:eek::D:p:eek::D:p:eek:

Bought a gluten free pizza today. Don't normally buy gluten free products to be fair. even though I am one of those gluten free types. Usually my gluten free options are bananas and nuts. I've yet to see a gluten free banana but reckon it's not long off. Plenty of gluten free rice around for twice the price of plain old gluten free normal unlabelled rice. It's good cux I can make gluten free rice pudding with my gluten free milk and sprinkle with some gluten free nutmeg. Anyway, I digress....this effing gluten free pizza ( I only really bought it cuz it was half price) was labelled as 'guilt free'. I was tempted to unbox these pizzas and play frisbee with them in the shop, guilt free you know, for a crack and not get arrested.
"Guilt free'..... Maybe I'm easily wound up. So by eating gluten infested pizza, I'm guilty. Guilty of the deadly sin of eating gluten. The pizza isn't the guilty thing of course because I've just bought a guilt free gluten free one. It's the gluten that is the guilty party. Dunno what's guilty about it. I have absolutely no idea what they're going on about.
It comes down to these forbidden foods on pick a diet any diet will do diets that restrict certain foods because someone says they're banned, or not allowed. Therefore eating things which have these forbidden things removed it becomes 'guilt free'. Bit like spliffing up, I s'pose, where it is llegal to do so. It's against the law, elsewhere. As far as I'm aware gluten isn't considered a narcotic. It maybe a neuroleptic but that's not the same thing. Certainly wouldn't smoke it.
I have issues with gluten but not to the extent that I feel victimised by corporate food production and it is my right to be able to have gluten free options of stuff that other people eat with gluten in them. No, I normally just don't eat stuff with gluten in it cuz it gives me grief, overtime and in quantity. So I usually just eat more of other stuff. It really isn't a big deal. I've just not had a pizza for a while, got a busy week and will chuck it in the oven this week sometime. I was only shopping, not having psychotherapy to address self-esteem issues.
So my point - if certain foodstuffs don't agree with you, for whatever reason, don't eat them. NO special diet required. And just carry on eating other things.
Peanuts aren't allowed cuz they are legumes? Where does this legume free thing come from, says who? If you eat legumes and you don't re-enact the Blazing Saddles scene in morning conferences then carry on eating your beans. It's ok. It really is ok. They are allowed because they are foods. Effing legume free Baked Beans next....guilt free too, probably. It's bonkers.
Don't eat peanuts of course if you are likely to die because of an allergy. Don't eat them if they cause stomach pains, upsets or explosive pus filled acne, or some other health issue. Don't not eat them though because they just aren't paleo and were only invented a couple of years ago. I'm very guilty of eating chocolate coated peanuts. They definitely didn't exist back in the day. Can't go wrong with them, mixed in with some raisins......oh hang on, they're banned too cuz of that FODMAP thing. Oh well, have a pizza. Since when did it get so complicated?

Guilt free food marketing......so by eating, we are shamed, guilty of denying a basic need for food. It's pitiful. I really shouldn't have bought the damned thing. I'm going to thoroughly enjoy it though with a bottle of red.

Thanks @ali !
I had to laugh because I imagined you on a stage :D
My favorite comedians are those who go up on stage and rant about things. Things that are true, but ridiculous.
Your topic here falls exactly into that category - true, but ridiculous.

Oops, that was a case of not realising how long the post was before pressing send. Sorry forum - but thanks for reading!
Better out than in. Wish I could blame the wine but haven't had it yet!
Better stay off the forum tonight!!

No, thank you for posting that. Not only was it a fun read, but like @Kettlebelephant said, ridiculous but true statements.

Not to mention, but my co-workers were wondering why I was laughing......;)

Oops, that was a case of not realising how long the post was before pressing send. Sorry forum - but thanks for reading!
Better out than in. Wish I could blame the wine but haven't had it yet!
Better stay off the forum tonight!!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom