all posts post new thread

Simple by 50

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

AndyGog

Level 5 Valued Member
weight : 76kg
Bodyfat: 22%
Current level : weak

I was a couple of months in to Stronglifts 5x5 but with the lockdown I’ve decided to start on Simple & Sinister, and commit to it with the goal of hitting Simple before I turn 50 in a couple of years. I’m starting from a long way back, I can’t do a getup with the 16kg bell. So my options are either start with a 12kg bell or run [Program Minimum Squared|Program Minimum [Squared] | StrongFirst] with the 16kg until I can manage one arm swings and get ups with the 16kg.

When I can I’ll attend a one day kettlebell course, but for now I’m working out myself at home. I’ve decided I’m going to use Program Minimum Squared with steps 1 & 2 until I’m comfortable doing those with the 16kg and then move on to 1,2,3&4, followed by 1-6 before I start S&S with the 16kg.

Welcome to the logs and congrats on your commitment to this journey! I am 53 and working at Timeless Simple, and you will get there younger than I did :)

Have you thought about focusing on the deadlift drills in S&S rather than running the more complicated program? Personally, I would opt to do that and also wouldn't hesitate to use the 12kg to start with the get-ups. Just my 2 cents. Just make sure you keep a consistent approach and long-term focus.

Welcome to the logs and congrats on your commitment to this journey! I am 53 and working at Timeless Simple, and you will get there younger than I did :)

Have you thought about focusing on the deadlift drills in S&S rather than running the more complicated program? Personally, I would opt to do that and also wouldn't hesitate to use the 12kg to start with the get-ups. Just my 2 cents. Just make sure you keep a consistent approach and long-term focus.
Thanks. I was torn between starting S&S with the 12 (my one arm swings with the 16 are pretty dodgy too) or working on the other program. I saw the Program minimum squared as a way of working on the preliminary stages of the moves. If it seems like a better idea, I could easily be convinced to run S&S with the 12kg

The amount of intelligence, experience and wisdom that Pavel put into S&S 2.0 is really astounding. It is his fourth iteration of what was a very sound program on v1. Even though it is very minimalist, it brings a ton of exercise science in and has proven results for getting fit way beyond the two core lifts. So having said that, my bias is to stick as close to the book as you can. In there he says: "Start light, but rapidly progress to the kettlebells you would describe as "medium."" Again, it's your call, but my advice is to do S&S by the book with the 12, really learn the skills of the lifts, and as soon as the 16 feels doable, move up.

The amount of intelligence, experience and wisdom that Pavel put into S&S 2.0 is really astounding. It is his fourth iteration of what was a very sound program on v1. Even though it is very minimalist, it brings a ton of exercise science in and has proven results for getting fit way beyond the two core lifts. So having said that, my bias is to stick as close to the book as you can. In there he says: "Start light, but rapidly progress to the kettlebells you would describe as "medium."" Again, it's your call, but my advice is to do S&S by the book with the 12, really learn the skills of the lifts, and as soon as the 16 feels doable, move up.
You've convinced me. I've read the progression in 2.0, so my option was to work with the 12 for 4 weeks and then introduce the 16 in two weeks steps (as its only a 4kg difference).

16/05/2020

Warm Up
3x5 Goblet Squats @ 9kg
3x5 Halos @ 9kg
3x5 Hip Bridge

5x10L, 10R swings @ 12kg
5L, 5R TGU @ 12kg

Interesting today to notice how hungry I got halfway through the practice (not workout). I was doing Stronglifts 5x5 after my evening meal but S&S is at 4pm, before we eat. Must remember to have a snack first next time.

17/05/2020

Warm Up
3x5 Goblet Squats @ 9kg
3x5 Halos @ 9kg
3x5 Hip Bridge

5x10L, 10R swings @ 12kg
5L, 5R TGU @ 12kg

Banana before practice made a big difference today

Decided to start logging weekly

Swings12kg12kg12kg12kg12kg12kg12kg12kg12kg12kg
Mon10L10R10L10R10L10R10L10R10L10R
Tues10L10R10L10R10L10R10L10R10L10R
Wed10T10T10T10T10T10T10T10T10T10T
Thur10L10R10L10R10L10R10L10R10L10R
Fri10L10R10L10R10L10R10L10R10L10R

TGU12kg12kg12kg12kg12kg12kg12kg12kg12kg12kg
MonLRLRLRLRLR
TueLRLRLRLRLR
WedLRLRLRLRLR
ThurLRLRLRLRLR
FriLRLRLRLRLR

Have been really pleasantly surprised by how light the 12kg bell has been feeling this week.

Just finished the first practice of the week, introducing the 16kg bell for sets 3&4 for both the TGU and swings. Both felt pretty good, I was particularly surprised by how, relatively, easy the get ups were after not being able to do any with the 16kg at all.

I'm now tempted to try another two sets with the 16kg tomorrow.

Just finished the first practice of the week, introducing the 16kg bell for sets 3&4 for both the TGU and swings. Both felt pretty good, I was particularly surprised by how, relatively, easy the get ups were after not being able to do any with the 16kg at all.

I'm now tempted to try another two sets with the 16kg tomorrow.

See there you go! You will get there step by step! By age 50.....I think you may surprise yourself...

Welcome here! Your journal title caught my eye, I am not much older than you (49). We all start somewhere. Like you said if you can attend a one day kb course, go for it! I have never had a one day course near me, but have had one on one with an Sfg for a few stints, the instruction is invaluable. I think Strongfirst has some online instruction on their main page too. And, I agree with what Tim has said, the version 2.0 of S&S is great, lots of wisdom in it.

Keep up the great work!

See there you go! You will get there step by step! By age 50.....I think you may surprise yourself...

Welcome here! Your journal title caught my eye, I am not much older than you (49). We all start somewhere. Like you said if you can attend a one day kb course, go for it! I have never had a one day course near me, but have had one on one with an Sfg for a few stints, the instruction is invaluable. I think Strongfirst has some online instruction on their main page too. And, I agree with what Tim has said, the version 2.0 of S&S is great, lots of wisdom in it.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks. I've got to say its really encouraging to be managing get ups with the 16 after only about 10 days of practice. Without pushing too hard, and staying well within my capacity, I'm going to get to a point where I can use the 16 exclusively. Then start running the 4 week step increases from S&S 2.0.

I'll be doing a one day kb course as soon as one becomes available. I did the barbell course and it was amazing, so I'm sure I'll learn plenty.

Good luck with the pull ups!

Today was a little bit sobering. The second set of Get Ups with the 16kg was harder than I thought. I'm going to stick to the two week progression from 12-16kg and consider myself chastened!

One thing that might help, is to practice (outside of your S&S session....like in another part of the day such as just before bed, or between your warmup and your swings/getups) is just part of the getup with the heavier weight....like just laying on your back and figuring out where to hold the bell over head. Once comfortable with that, go to the roll to the elbow and back down, that is it. Just finetuning the parts before working on the whole thing.

I shared this article with someone else yesterday, and I return to it often. LOTS of great tips in here! The getup information is partway down the page, good explanations!

Another great resource is SFG instructor Martine Kerr's instagram (KULT Fitness)....if you scroll you will see great short videos with breakdown of swings and getups amongst other things.

I've been mixing the 12 and 16kg bells this week. Sets with the 16kg bell are logged in bold

Swings
Mon10L10R10L10R10L10R10L10R10L10R
Tue10L10R10L10R10L10R10L10R10L10R
Wed10T10T10T10T10T10T10T10T10T10T
Thu10L10R10L10R10L10R10L10R10L10R
Fri10L10R10L10R10L10R10L10R10L10R

Get Ups
MonLRLRLRLRLR
TueLRLRLRLRLR
WedLRLRLRLRLR
ThuLRLRLRLRLR
FriLRLRLRLRLR

Really pleased with progress this week. Starting next week with the 16kg and sticking there for at least 4 weeks. Suddenly I feel like I'm an average strength gentleman!

Really pleased with progress this week. Starting next week with the 16kg and sticking there for at least 4 weeks. Suddenly I feel like I'm an average strength gentleman!
That's awesome! There really aren't that many weight jumps between just starting out and reaching Simple. It's great to celebrate each one.

And btw, most average gentleman are not "average strength." You are already ahead of the large number of people who don't do anything to get stronger.

Great work there!

Keep it up....sometimes it seems like progress is slow because at times S&S seems like it is slow and plodding, then you are going to look back and see how far you have come. There's a quote I read somewhere on the forum that the program "seems" an inch wide (because it is "only" two exercises).....but it is really "a mile deep".....because there is so much carry over to everyday activities and movement, and really they are two exercises that will serve you well. :)

Last week was a full week with 16kg exclusively.

Warm Ups were still done with a 9kg bell. Goblet squats feel deeper but maintaining my posture for any extended prying is still difficult.

Mon: 10x10 1h Swings @ 16kg. 10x1 Get Ups @ 16kg
Tue: 10x10 1h Swings @ 16kg. 10x1 Get Ups @ 16kg
Wed: 10x10 2h Swings @ 16kg. 10x1 Get Ups @ 16kg
Thu: 10x10 1h Swings @ 16kg. 10x1 Get Ups @ 16kg
Fri: 10x10 1h Swings @ 16kg. 10x1 Get Ups @ 16kg

Definitely noticed some fatigue towards the end of the week, most noticeably with the swings. Even when refining my technique on the get ups, I felt comfortable holding the 16kg above my head. This is again a huge step forward when I was struggling with half get ups using the 16kg a few weeks ago.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom