all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Simple Game Changers

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Firstly, thanks for creating this thread Adam, I’ve learnt a tonne from 5 minutes reading this. The biggest game changer for me is getting a dog (not sure it fits into the simple category). I walk him once or twice a day and spend plenty of time playing, which involves lots of animal crawls, short sprints, changing direction rapidly etc. I see it as play but it’s done wonders for mobility, aerobic base and mindset. Ultimate active recovery!

That's really interesting. Thanks for starting the thread. I'll look into the CC2 Trifecta.
Yeah, it's the Bridge - L-Sit - Seated Twist. Done in that order and each held for 20 seconds. Of course, you only do the level of the movement that's completely controllable for you. Some can hold a full gymnastics bridge while people like me, can only hold a straight bridge or reverse plank.

Do you follow Drew Bayes work?

No, but I have read a lot of his blog and watched many of his videos. I'm not real clear on how some of his concepts are applied specifically, but am not a fan of longer duration contractions, super slow, or textbook HIT, all of which he leans on pretty heavily.

He's made some very definitive statements re the nature of adaptive response that I absolutely do not agree with.

I know that he has gotten good results and some have done quite well following his methods, I can't speak to the specifics without buying the books.

I do know that Maxwell speaks highly of him and Dr Darden, but am not really a fan of either. I do agree with some of the HIT approach, but am more on the DeLorme side of the philosophy than the Jones.

The Four Rules of Success as explained by Dr. Luther Waxling (Dennis Hopper) in the film Search and Destroy:
  1. Strength needs no excuse.
  2. The past is pointless.
  3. Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.
  4. The things you apologize for are the things you want.
Not a comment on the StrongFirst code, but @Anna C's post just triggered the association.

The Four Rules of Success as explained by Dr. Luther Waxling (Dennis Hopper) in the film Search and Destroy:
  1. Strength needs no excuse.
  2. The past is pointless.
  3. Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.
  4. The things you apologize for are the things you want.
Not a comment on the StrongFirst code, but @Anna C's post just triggered the association.

Haha... well at least we know where your tag line comes from.

I like "the past is pointless." I'm going to have to ruminate on that for a while...

Haha... well at least we know where your tag line comes from.

I like "the past is pointless." I'm going to have to ruminate on that for a while...
Dennis Hopper's character is a self-help guru who isn't exactly portrayed as a paragon to be followed. But obviously the third rule appeals to me.

Here's another one to ruminate on (from a famous Mississippian):

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." (William Faulkner)

Last edited:
Most of these I've been doing now for so long you stop thinking of them as 'game changers' but simply 'things you do'. Some I had to figure out that they were game changers on my own after many years of training, a few I got a heads up from others:

*KB Windmills
*Bulgarian Split SQs
*Barbell SQ w. chains
*45 Degree Hyperextensions and Glute-Ham Raise
*Bands in general for exercises and mobility work
*"YAT pulls" and single leg Hip Abduction/Adduction w. microbands
*Pull-Ups and Push-Ups

*slow cooker for pot roast, chili, stews, etc
*daily walks w. the dog
*metamucil in protein shake

*Do SOMETHING every day. (the understanding that something/anything is INFINITELY better than nothing when it comes to working out/training)

I discovered the importance of strength when I was recovering from my back injury and trying to run again. I noticed that if I kept a certain pressure in my belly, I could run without pain, but if I didn't do that, I couldn't run. My strength journey began then and there, and within a few days, I'd asked for advice on becoming stronger without getting bigger on the newsgroup rec.running. One reply recommended "Power To The People!"

-S-

I think the biggest game changer for me was the idea that meaning comes responsibility. That brought me out of a long and dark time in my life when everything I thought I was and was going to be had been ripped away. I no longer thought I had a purpose or meaning. This idea restored meaning to my life, and has kept me moving forward since; it has provided a center.

For training, the biggest game changer was when I left barbells and powerlifting and learned that there was a way to train that allowed me to get up and down off the ground without having to brace myself for the pain. Leaving barbells for a time may have left me weaker at barbells, but it has drastically improved my quality of life. Strength and fitness can be built in many ways, and finding a way that doesn't hurt is not only possible but recommended.

no screens 30 min-1hr before bed
stress management (mostly combo of CBT, stoic/buddhist inspired thought)

automate savings (as soon as deposit comes in, some goes to my mortgage, some to retirement, some to short term, some to insurance, etc. I only see what's left after that)
spend aggressively on things you love and ruthlessly cut things that you don't love (Ramit Sethi's concept of "money dials")

find a physical hobby and pursue it with a growth mindset
practice, don't do it for the burn/calories

90/90 stretch
military presses

tell my wife I love her every day
always go to bed together

read 30 mins non-fiction every day

engage in community. spend time with friends and put phones away

Your isometric thread was one of the best threads of 2021. It was a real interesting experiment to follow along with.
Thank you very much, great to hear!

Is actually very much still underway, I'd go so far as to say its hitting its stride.

I've pretty much nailed the initial goals a lot faster than I anticipated - weighed in at 199lbs last night at lower BF% (subjectively) than when I started.

I already demonstrated 25-30% increase on key lifts at 6 weeks and my aerobic capacity is noticeably improved. My knees and back feel way better too.

Am starting to consider what the next testing phase will look like in mid December. I need to get some still shots and or real short video showing and explaining exactly how I've been applying it, a lot gets lost in translation to words on paper.

The simplicty of this approach is very appealing - the pinacle of autoregulation and I never feel beat up.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom