all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Simple goal reached, strong but still fat :/

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
For me, 10 swings takes about 18 seconds. Doing 10x10 swings in five minutes with a high weigh and with hard-style intensity is pretty similar to HIIT, isn't it?
Yes that would be HIIT. You're told precisely not to do that unless you're going for the Simple standard, or on rare occasions. Maybe the recommendations have changed but my understanding is S&S is supposed to be trained alactic (rest as needed between sets and allow HR to normalize somewhat) and to avoid the glycolic pathway (which is exactly what HIIT hits).

If I'm incorrect, I apologize. Did not mean to give the wrong info.

Yes that would be HIIT. You're told precisely not to do that unless you're going for the Simple standard, or on rare occasions.

Yes, you're right. I intended to state that, but I forgot to by the time I finished my post (it takes me a long time to type things out on my phone!) Sorry about the oversight and thanks for the clarification.

Now we got fancier with our "mitochondria-alactic-protocols" which has many benefits.
the words may sound fancy, but the continuous doing of it choosing one lift, for weeks and months...may appeal as just plain boring.

The boredom of alactic swinging and snatching can be topped by some longer aerobic locomotion activity.

HIIT as a "tool" definitely has its purpose for some targets. As I understand it, it has and should be chosen sparingly, carefully and wisely for experienced guys and girls.

Currently I am back to some easy running, and find it just interesting, that it does not increase appetite and cravings are reduced. All this is just boring, on (online) paper, no instant gratification. I am just biased, to some extent.

First of all: Congrats!
Here are just my two cents:
Keep doing S&S and start monitoring your nutrition. Maybe even count calories/macros. If you do not like that just use common sense and eat some less. But minitoring your macros is fool proof.
Do not exclude any food group this will only cause cravings in the long run. Even include some pleasure foods if you wish. But again use common sense.
Cutting out certain food groups def works but not due to the fact that avoiding them magically gets you leaner but rather because it is a foolproof way to eliminate calories.

Classic Strongfirst thread where we all want to recommend things to OP, but OP doesn't seem to care as seen by the fact that he hasn't logged since he made the thread.

Pretty sure 99% of the time these threads are just for our own entertainment and no one is following any advice written.

Hopefully OP proves me wrong

He did post once more early in the thread, hopefully he got the message that he just has to change eating habits

Hey guys, here I'm !;)

@305pelusa , your argument is valid, people tend to ask questions and then not caring that much about anawers or caring only about those that they want to hear...to be honest, i opened some threads in the past which i ceased to follow afterwards, however, in this particular case, the reason i wasnt signed in (though i read the replies) is that im on vacation in Croatia having only my cell phone with me. During the day i leave it on hotel and in the evening i get to read the discussion. Its difficult to type in on mobile and sometimes i even get the strange "authentification window" in strongfirst.com when i sign in which doesnt work and then im blocked for some time...so i prefer to sign in only when i have to or want to comment. I hope this helps explain a bit why my 2 day "sign in" absence

But i want to thank you all for many good advices ! I realize that at this point i mainly have to adjust my eating. However, i cant imagine abstaining from stuff like bread, pasta, potatoes at all.... I mean this is all a valid food for me, something our ancestors have been eating for ages...so Im not that religious about the food, i want to feel fit, be fit, be strong, look good, but dont want to make this my idol and subdue everything for that...im not that paleo kind of guy...i hope you can unedrstand. But i realize that there are some changes I have to make anyway. For example, eating less during the day im general, or eating less crisps in the evening or drinking less beer...i know im gonna offend someone with my honesty here !:) Me personally i would prefer some program which allows you to eat whatever you want but then tells you to abstain from food during certain times. I have heard of intermittent fasting...any view on that ? Or experience ? Then there are other attitudes that say that one shouldnt eat... lets say, after 18.00... There are so many diet programs one is very confused whats truth and whats not... So the long story short, I want to adjust my eating, however, in a reasonable way... (And definitelly i cant imagine eating pure cottage cheese without bread in the evening :)

Ok, and one more comment...

@Smile-n-Nod , thank you for the gladiator fat layer comfort ;) to be honest, i never planned to become one but your comment definitelly makes me feel more manly ;) its also truth that with that extra tuning I could survive in a desert island a bit more :)

Concerning HIIT...before i came back to SnS i had done some tacfit warrior program for 3-4 month. This was probably the most difficult thing I ever did ! Basically nothing more than 6 tabatas in a row based on progressively challenging bodyweight exercises. I did that only 2x a week during my lunch break as a sole program. It worked well, i lost some KGs, however I was superexhausted after each training, and I couldnt hold on to this tempo.... What is more, i missed that feeling when one holds heavy KB in a hand. So i got back to SnS, continued and climbed up to Simple goal in a 2 days a week mode...and realized what was in my first comment - i feel good and strong, but i dont look that good as I thought i would be... So what I want to do (in addition to some eating modification) is to continue with SnS twice a week during my lunch breaks in a work (gym next to my work has KBs up to 40kg) and add some swing program at home (i have 24 kg bell max at home)...i hope that this combination might work: 1) SnS 2x a week slowly up to sinister goal 2) extra swings with 24 kg at home 3) eat less (still waiting for some particular advices)

Or do you think that in point 1) something else would be working better (eg: ROP ?)

Ok, i know that I just shared many words and threw in many questions, thank you for patience, but I might not be able to respond before one or two days. Take care friends, thank you !

I like intermittent fasting, and have had great experience with Eat Stop Eat by Brad Pilon. Basically---don't intake any calories for 18-36 hours, and you can have all the water you'd like (as well as plain coffee/tea). That's all you really need to know but I'd recommend the book because it's cheap and filled with good info regarding the science behind fasting.

I do this 0-2 times a week depending on my goals and my life at the time. Currently visiting family in Germany so fasting doesn't make sense, and that's fine!

I completely agree with you that food should be enjoyed. I do not think "unhealthy" foods exist. There are only unhealthy habits/behaviors.

Last edited:
@Andrej SK For me what works best is just listening to my body. When I am hungry, I eat. When I feel full or fairly full, I stop eating even if if the food is really good. The majority of my diet is high quality whole foods, but I am not at all opposed to having donuts, burgers, and ice cream if I am out with friends/family. The thing for me is to just listen to my body. It may seem too easy, but I think too many people over-complicate it unnecessarily without simply trying a more intuitive approach first. Good luck!

I think, for someone unwilling to change the type of food they eat, intermittent fasting can still produce reasonably good results in regard to body composition and health. Certainly, a little fasting and a lot of real food is ideal, but I understand that some people see that as an unacceptably hard hit to their quality of life. I won't post too much advice about IF, since there's roughly a thousand threads on IF in the "Diet and Nutrition" section (maybe I'm exaggerating a little).

I will, however, encourage the kind of self-awareness and honestly that @Andrej SK displays. That is, a lot of the food we can eat is toxic (and no, that's not too strong of a word). Much of the food that used to be healthy, traditional food, is no longer such. That is, between changes in production and processing techniques, things like bread, pasta, and many meat and cheese products have gone from being hearty staples to unhealthy snack foods. All that being said, if it makes you happy, I wouldn't try to convince you not to eat said unhealthy food; we all gotta die of something. However, if you can eat crappy food in moderation, and still be almost as happy as if you ate whatever you wanted whenever you wanted, then the extra years of life and the quality of those years might just be worth it ;).

My specific advice is try to fast for 16-20 hours each day. Some days will be easier than others. Ideally you only consume zero calorie drinks during the fast, but if you have to eat something, you can still reap some of the fat burning benefits of fasting by only consuming fat and protein. I would recommend skipping breakfast, eating only protein and fat for a late lunch, and eating whatever the hell you want for dinner. Not perfect, but doable for many people.

I agree with the posts about intermittent fasting. It works for a lot of people, myself included. You don't have to eat like a Spartan to make it work. But eating like a pig in the evening is obviously not recommended either.

I have found it nice to make the fast a fast of carbohydrates and fat and allow myself a couple of protein snacks during the day, like a protein shake in the morning and a couple of chicken breasts for lunch.

Classic Strongfirst thread where we all want to recommend things to OP, but OP doesn't seem to care as seen by the fact that he hasn't logged since he made the thread.

Pretty sure 99% of the time these threads are just for our own entertainment and no one is following any advice written.

Hopefully OP proves me wrong
IMHO, best to never assume. It's just fine to start a thread and read the ensuing discussion without further participation.

-S-

I have found it nice to make the fast a fast of carbohydrates and fat and allow myself a couple of protein snacks during the day, like a protein shake in the morning and a couple of chicken breasts for lunch.

This is likely fine, but I think protein technically takes you out of a 'fasted state'

Right now, I believe the answer to diet/eating/health is the same as the nature vs. nurture issue- it all depends because it's highly interactive, and it varies in the same person in different circumstances. Ideally, as @Snowman says, the body and appetites regulate themselves and it's easy and natural to stay in the green zone. However, when some switch gets flipped in some people for some reason, a cycle gets going with food (especially carbs) that gets out of hand. With time, the ability to metabolize fat and the blood sugar levels go way out of whack. For many in this stage, bread, sugar, etc. become more like an addiction and much harder to control. Listening to the body for them in that stage is going to lead to extra body fat, and eventually diabetes, etc.

At this stage, some intervention is needed to get everything back on track. There needs to be a way of letting the body get back into the natural cycle of fat metabolism, less reliance on blood sugar to feel good, and avoiding the starving feeling when the body reduces the blood sugar suddenly with insulin. This is where some form of intermittent fasting seems to work well- I've had success with the 3 meals a day in 12 hours, with no snacking habits of Georgie Fear's book, others use other plans, but they all serve to get the body back to being able to manage hunger by metabolizing fat and not relying on frequent hits blood sugar to feel good.

Exercise helps with the "demand" and "efficiency" of the system, but it is, as almost everyone seems to acknowledge, a nutrition issue. If anyone's accumulating extra body fat and craving starches and sugars, figure out a some plan you can live with that gets you out of that loop. Cut way back on the starches and sugars for awhile, find a way to go more hours without eating, and let your body go through cycles of satiety and hunger, and you'll lose the cravings and your body will regulate itself quite well. Then you can probably enjoy nice piece of cake or toast or whatever, in moderation, when appropriate, without binging or gaining weight.

Right now, I believe the answer to diet/eating/health is the same as the nature vs. nurture issue

I used to know a guy who was an avid bicycle rider, logging perhaps 30 to 100 miles a week. While most of the men he rode with had physiques like Lance Armstrong, he himself looked more like the store owner from Toy Story 2. Same workouts, but different DNA.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom