all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Simple Goals

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

TomP30

Level 2 Valued Member
So I've been working on S+S since mid May, with the exception of a couple of weeks holiday, I've been working steadily away, posting 5 sessions a week. I was badly out of shape when I started, so I kicked things off with a 16kg and took it from there. As a basic guide my progression in weight has looked something like this:

May - 16kg swings and TGU
June - 20kg swings - 16kg TGU
July - 24kg Swings - 24kg TGU, last week of July gradually inserting 32kg into 1-2 sets of swings
August to date - 24kg swings - 24kg TGU, last 10 days have progressed so that last three sets of swings each arm are using 32kg, and last three sets of TGU are also done with 32kg.

I'm really enjoying the journey, but am I progressing too conservatively? I feel now that if I took a little more rest between sets I could be upping the sets with the 32kg, but am also not wanting to over reach. I know everyone will progress at different rates, but is there a general guide for how long one takes to hit Timeless / Timed Simple?

So I've been working on S+S since mid May, with the exception of a couple of weeks holiday, I've been working steadily away, posting 5 sessions a week. I was badly out of shape when I started, so I kicked things off with a 16kg and took it from there. As a basic guide my progression in weight has looked something like this:

May - 16kg swings and TGU
June - 20kg swings - 16kg TGU
July - 24kg Swings - 24kg TGU, last week of July gradually inserting 32kg into 1-2 sets of swings
August to date - 24kg swings - 24kg TGU, last 10 days have progressed so that last three sets of swings each arm are using 32kg, and last three sets of TGU are also done with 32kg.

I'm really enjoying the journey, but am I progressing too conservatively? I feel now that if I took a little more rest between sets I could be upping the sets with the 32kg, but am also not wanting to over reach. I know everyone will progress at different rates, but is there a general guide for how long one takes to hit Timeless / Timed Simple?
As @Adachi says, the revised and updated version lays out a clear step progression that will take you 9-12 months (10 months give and take) from 16 to 32 kg. It took me much longer, but I was pretty underweight and usually need more recovery time than others.

I have just posted this in another thread, but my notes from listening to Fabio Zonin might be helpful here, too:
Fabio Zonin at Strength Connection podcast #90
  • Taking more time to progress means longer lasting gains
  • Step cycles are powerful
  • Step programming idea: Start with an RPE of 8 and stay with the given intensity and volume until it drops below 6.5
  • Most gains come within two weeks – but next 2-4 weeks stabilize those gains

Last edited:
the book does lay out the progression. I think you're moving a bit fast. but to each their own.
I listened to the book again the other night (I will get it hardcopy, it'll probably be easier to scrutinise), from that I took it should be approximately 5 to 6 weeks between weight progressions, not a hard and fast rule (listening to your body I think is what Pavel says).

I listened to the book again the other night (I will get it hardcopy, it'll probably be easier to scrutinise), from that I took it should be approximately 5 to 6 weeks between weight progressions, not a hard and fast rule (listening to your body I think is what Pavel says).
Listen to your body if you need to stretch it out - or if you're responding to a slower progression at lesser numbers of sessions per week. but generally [EDIT]: keep each step load 2/10 sets to 1 month each. for a progression of 5 months/bell size - OR - plan around 1 month/step load. either way, it's a compromise between going too quick and not going anywhere at all. the 1step / week fit me just fine.

remember that ownership is the meter stick.

being able to execute your 10 sets with perfect form at the drop of a hat.

... or as I refer to it ...

The point at which it's so easy it's boring.

Last edited:
As @Adachi says, the revised and updated version lays out a clear step progression that will take you 9-12 months (10 months give and take) from 16 to 32 kg. It took me much longer, but I was pretty underweight and usually need more recovery time than others.

I have just posted this in another thread, but my notes from listening to Fabio Zonin might be helpful here, too:
Listen to your body if you need to stretch it out - or if you're responding to a slower progression at lesser numbers of sessions per week. but generally keep each step load 2/10 sets to 1 week each. for a progression of 5 weeks/bell size - OR - plan around 1 month/bell size. either way, it's a compromise between going too quick and not going anywhere at all. the 1step / week fit me just fine.
I think 1 month/bell is roughly where I'm at; since the 24kg became easier to work with over the last month I've found myself champing at the bit to conquer the 32kg in the same manner, and probably thinking it would take me the same length of time - 4-5 weeks. It's in the 'goals' section of my log book to hit Timeless Simple by the end of September, Timed Simple by January. I'm not fixated on these goals but I've always found I need targets to aim for.

I think 1 month/bell is roughly where I'm at; since the 24kg became easier to work with over the last month I've found myself champing at the bit to conquer the 32kg in the same manner, and probably thinking it would take me the same length of time - 4-5 weeks. It's in the 'goals' section of my log book to hit Timeless Simple by the end of September, Timed Simple by January. I'm not fixated on these goals but I've always found I need targets to aim for.
If you're making fast progress without impacting your form then I'd say good luck with your short term September goal. It sounds doable.

You may find the Timed target harder to notice weekly progress if you're intending to stick with the 32 kg. It may take a different mindset to accomplish. If you can already hit the 'Timed' times with the 24 kg then I'd recommend using the book's step progression to build up to the 32 kg on just one Timed day per week over the 4 months. I did this while keeping the other days autoregulated and not rushing the clock.

If you're making fast progress without impacting your form then I'd say good luck with your short term September goal. It sounds doable.

You may find the Timed target harder to notice weekly progress if you're intending to stick with the 32 kg. It may take a different mindset to accomplish. If you can already hit the 'Timed' times with the 24 kg then I'd recommend using the book's step progression to build up to the 32 kg on just one Timed day per week over the 4 months. I did this while keeping the other days autoregulated and not rushing the clock.
I tried timing myself with the 24kg tonight, a bit daft really as it was 11pm and I had just driven back from Sussex to Cumbria (about 375 miles). 100 swings in 4 minutes 49 secs, 10 TGU in 8 minutes 2 secs. Feeling positive, now need to go to bed!

As @Adachi says, the revised and updated version lays out a clear step progression that will take you 9-12 months (10 months give and take)

That's where I fell off the wagon with the book's progression.

I just got super bored doing the same exercises for so long.

That's where I fell off the wagon with the book's progression.

I can understand that; when I first came across S+S, about 4 years ago, I stuck with it for about a month or so before mixing it up, but back then kettlebells we’re mainly a supplement to trail running for me. A different situation now and the program is perfect for me at this time, I’m using it for what it is described to be, a preparatory program to get me back to some kind of condition, I’m hoping next year to start something else, but I want to reach at least the Simple standard first.

I’m using it for what it is described to be, a preparatory program to get me back to some kind of condition,
Agreed.

Must be a personality thing. I love the consistency and i'm always trying to keep my life as simple as possible. With just two movements - they've helped me identify a number of weaknesses, which i work on to get back to the GUs, for example.
but, I'm a rank beginner here, compared to you...

I can understand that; when I first came across S+S, about 4 years ago, I stuck with it for about a month or so before mixing it up, but back then kettlebells we’re mainly a supplement to trail running for me. A different situation now and the program is perfect for me at this time, I’m using it for what it is described to be, a preparatory program to get me back to some kind of condition, I’m hoping next year to start something else, but I want to reach at least the Simple standard first.
The first time I picked up a kettlebell was a few days after my 51st birthday.
A friend loaned me a 16kg, 18kg, and a 32 kg.
I went by the book and quickly mastered the 16kg, so I purchased a 24kg. Integrated sets per the book until I mastered that one. Moved in the 32kg in the same way. It took me approximately 7 months to achieve the Simple protocols.
Moved up to a 36kg in the same way and when I was doing all sets with that bell I started waving the load.
That took 4 months to achieve the same timed protocols.
I hit the wall with the 40 kg. I continued S&S for about 11 months with the 40kg and then started Q&D with occasional days of S&S. All in all I spent about 18 months with S&S.
I never got close to the timed protocols with the 40kg and only got bored when progress really slowed. But heck, it can’t just go in forever. We all have our genetic limits.
I have had a steady diet of Geoff Neupert programs for a couple years now and they are great but I have been thinking of working in some tgu’s.
That is a great lift and for me it really made my military press stronger. And for me the c&p does not crossover to tgu strength.

The first time I picked up a kettlebell was a few days after my 51st birthday.
A friend loaned me a 16kg, 18kg, and a 32 kg.
I went by the book and quickly mastered the 16kg, so I purchased a 24kg. Integrated sets per the book until I mastered that one. Moved in the 32kg in the same way. It took me approximately 7 months to achieve the Simple protocols.
Moved up to a 36kg in the same way and when I was doing all sets with that bell I started waving the load.
That took 4 months to achieve the same timed protocols.
I hit the wall with the 40 kg. I continued S&S for about 11 months with the 40kg and then started Q&D with occasional days of S&S. All in all I spent about 18 months with S&S.
I never got close to the timed protocols with the 40kg and only got bored when progress really slowed. But heck, it can’t just go in forever. We all have our genetic limits.
I have had a steady diet of Geoff Neupert programs for a couple years now and they are great but I have been thinking of working in some tgu’s.
That is a great lift and for me it really made my military press stronger. And for me the c&p does not crossover to tgu strength.
I’m honestly thankful you shared that, if I can come close to what you’ve achieved I’ll be very happy. I second your opinion on the TGU, I really enjoy doing this exercise, it’s up there with old fashioned chin-ups and pull-ups for me.

Agreed.

Must be a personality thing. I love the consistency and i'm always trying to keep my life as simple as possible. With just two movements - they've helped me identify a number of weaknesses, which i work on to get back to the GUs, for example.
but, I'm a rank beginner here, compared to you...

Even if one values simplicity, there does come a point in one’s lifting journey that a novel stimulus will provoke more change than more of the same.

You can still keep it simple with 2 exercises.

But it can be a different 2.

You're doing great since you're not testing, no need to rush. The progress you made will definitely be more solid than if you rushed things

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom