all posts post new thread

Simple - Not Easy

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

David Jarrett

Level 4 Valued Member
My name is David Jarrett, and I am beginning my fitness journey with Simple and Sinister. A couple of months ago I weighed 301 pounds. I cleaned up my diet and started walking in the mornings and have lost some weight. Now it's time that I start a more serious exercise routine.

I have been practicing my swing and getup form over the past few weeks with the aid of my local SFG instructor. By the way, if you can go see an SFG, do it! While I like to think I have pretty good attention to detail, my instructor has helped me make dramatic improvements with my swing and getup technique. She also introduced other supplementary exercises to help me work on some deficiencies I have with flexibility and range of motion. In all honesty, with no exaggeration whatsoever, I feel better right now than I have in years! And it has happened so quickly, too; just in the past few weeks. For example, two weeks ago I couldn't lie down flat on my back in the floor and lay my head on the ground; all I could do was barely touch the very top of my head to the ground while looking straight back. Today I can lie down flat and the back of my head rests squarely on the ground like it should. I went from thinking I had a serious neck deformity to normal again in just two weeks! Seriously, go see an SFG if you can.

I precede each S&S practice session with the recommended goblet squats, hip bridges, and halos. Even the warm-up was very difficult for me at first! I couldn't make it through a SINGLE set of prying goblet squats! I had to take breaks! Now, the warm-up feels much easier. I still take my time through it but not because I have to. I use my warm-up to really drive home the rest-period concepts in S&S. I have had a tendency to move through the exercises a bit too quickly (not really passing the talk-test) and so I take every opportunity to practice slowing down.

One final note: I'll be tracking the time it takes for me to complete my swings and getups, but I do so blindly with two clocks. In other words, I don't worry about the time while I'm doing the exercise; I simply follow the talk-test. I am tracking the times just to see how much my rest periods are reduced organically over time.

Stats as of 06/15/2020:
Height: 5 feet 10 inches
Weight: 267.4 lbs
Measurements: TBD

Date: 06/14/2020 (Sun - Day 1) -- 16kg for both lifts
Warm-up14:51
Swings (1 handed) (10x5L - 10x5R)21:32
Getups (1x5L - 1x5R)30:19:00
Total1:06:42

Subjective feelings: Difficulty 1-5: 4
Notes
:
Swings: Grip became challenging during swings, but not close to slipping. I really had to hang on.
Getups: Quite challenging for first two sets; last sets better. Left side seemed easier than right? (I'm a righty).

Date: 06/15/2020 (Mon - Day 2) -- 16kg for both lifts
Warmup12:42
Swings (2 handed) (10x10)20:05
Getups (1x5L - 1x5R)30:24:00
Total1:03:11

Subjective feelings: Difficulty 1-5: 5
Notes
: Looks like the talk test is giving pretty consistent times.
Swings: Really powered the two-hand swings. Felt great.
Getups: Wow, extra brutal today. Again, first two sets tougher than the rest. Both sides felt equal today.
I think I'm learning to get tight on the first two reps. Need to be mindful of this next time.

Date: 06/16/2020 (Tue - Day 3)

DAY OFF

Notes: I'm surprised that I'm not really sore. It's more like I can "feel my muscles," not soreness. I will be doing my stretches and remedial exercises this evening.

Date: 06/17/2020 (Wed - Day 4)
Warmup11:38
Swings (1 handed) (10x5L - 10x5R)21:35
Getups (1x5L - 1x5R)27:19:00
Total1:00:32

Subjective feelings: Difficulty 1-5: 3
Notes
: Best recharge yet. I felt significantly stronger!
Swings: These felt like they were over before they began. I need to smooth out my starting hike pass, though; I know it could be better.
Getups: I'm thrilled with how much easier these were to do today. I really focused on staying tight.

Date: 06/18/2020 (Thu - Day 5)

DAY OFF

Notes: Well, this wasn't planned, but my wife had to work late; dad duty calls. Oh well, maybe it's a good thing. Extra rest? Sure, let's spin it that way.

Date: 06/19/2020 (Fri - Day 6)

Met with Debbie, my SFG instructor, today. Did some remedial exercises, swings, and getups. Primarily worked on explosiveness in the swing, aided greatly by some form corrections.

I'm very excited with my progress so far! It's hard to believe how quickly you can get stronger and improve. Must be those newbie gains!

Date: 06/21/2020 (Sun - Day 8) -- 16kg for both lifts
Warmup11:33
Swings (1 handed) (10x5L - 10x5R)19:37
Getups (1x5L - 1x5R) 26:35:00
Total57:29:00

Subjective feelings: Difficulty 1-5: 5
Notes
: That was a tough workout! I think I'm dehydrated.
Swings: Had a bit of trouble really finding the groove. Not too bad, though.
Getups: Stay tight, Dave! That first getup was... interesting. The kettlebell, however, was quite instructive ;).

Date: 06/22/2020 (Mon - Day 9) -- 16kg for both lifts

Warmup, Swings 10x10 2H, Getups 1x5L & 1 x5R

Notes
: Not going to track the time for every workout from now on. Just occasionally to check my "pace."
Swings: Two-hand swings felt solid.
Getups: Not bad. Not "easy", but not brutally hard.

Date: 06/24/2020 (Wed - Day 10) -- 16kg for both lifts

Warmup, Swings 10x5L - 10x5R, Getups 1x5L & 1 x5R

Notes
: Felt really good today.
Swings: Grip issues from last week are gone. Nice!
Getups: I feel so much stronger in these. Today was a good day!

Weight Update + Thoughts:

Weight:
262.4 lbs

It has been ten days since I started this workout log and the S&S program. I thought I'd share some notes on my progress thus far.
  • Normal activities have become laughably easier. Taking out the trash, putting my kids in car seats, bending over to get things from underneath the cabinets. I cannot believe how much difficulty I was having with these tasks before, and how much easier they are now.
  • Morning back pain upon waking is something I have dealt with for years now. If, on average, I was waking up with pain that was 6-7 out of 10, now it is 1-2 out of 10. I wouldn't even call it pain; it's more like a bit of stiffness at this point. Before, I had to walk around the bedroom hunched over for about ten minutes just to get going, and continued to have some pain for at least an hour or so after that.
  • Energy levels have improved. I still find myself getting a bit tired towards the end of the day, but that's at like 7:00 or 8:00 PM, not 2:00 or 3:00 PM like before. I think even this can probably be attributed to having switched back to a Paleo/Primal style of eating recently. I'm still going through the "carb flu." And... it sucks :)
  • Visible and obvious muscle hypertrophy in my shoulders, arms, back, and legs. At first I thought it was my imagination, and then I realized it wasn't. The final blow was when my wife hugged me and said, "Wow, what happened to you!" Now if that isn't a great milestone for progress, I don't know what is!
I'd just like make one observation: if you aren't doing every rep of your swings with near-maximal tension, and likewise with the getups, then I think you're missing out on a lot this program has to offer. I used kettlebells in the past (10+ years ago) and never saw results like I'm seeing now--even though I'm older!

Date: 06/25/2020 (Thu - Day 11) -- 16kg for both lifts
Warmup10:29
Swings (2 handed) (10x10)19:19
Getups (1x5L - 1x5R)21:54:00
Total51:42:00

Notes
: Tougher than yesterday. Not sure if it's hydration level or lower carb intake? Maybe neither, lol. However, I decided to measure the time for this workout and I'm definitely improving time wise when using the talk test.
Swings: Very encouraged; felt no back tightness at all. I think my form is really coming together. Just more out of breath today than yesterday. I think it may be that I can put far more power into the two-handed swings?
Getups: The first couple of reps were kind of tough, but then everything was smooth sailing to the end. Felt really good and solid.

Date: 06/26/2020 (Fri - Day 12) -- 16kg for both lifts

Warmup, Swings 10x5L - 10x5R, Getups 1x5L & 1x5R

Notes
: Awesome! No tightness, no stiffness! First time ever! I'm sitting here right now with no pain of any kind! Woo!
Swings: Solid, felt great. Swings are way easier with no little aches creeping up during the workout.
Getups: A little shaky on a couple of reps, but never weak. Felt very strong through until the end.

Date: 06/27/2020 (Sat - Day 13)

DAY OFF

Notes: What a week! I am so happy that I've made it through two weeks without giving up, especially given some of the challenges I've faced this week. Feeling great!

Date: 06/28/2020 (Sun - Day 14) -- 16kg for both lifts

Warmup, Swings 10x5L - 10x5R, Getups 1x5L & 1x5R

Subjective feelings: Difficulty 1-5: 2
Notes
: Unbelievable. I never thought I would ever find this workout with this weight "easy," but here we are! I'm not saying it's actually easy, of course, but just in comparison to where I started from. I already feel like I own this weight in the timeless simple sense, but I will stay the course as Pavel suggests and log another two weeks with the 16kg bell. Besides, I've learned that tomorrow will be a completely different day, lol.
Swings: Felt great. Each set was powerful and crisp.
Getups: I really wish I had timed this particular session; my rest periods were significantly shorter than normal on this exercise. I had one wobbly start, but other than that, really happy.

Date: 06/29/2020 (Mon - Day 15) -- 16kg for both lifts

Warmup, Swings 10x10TH, Getups 1x5L & 1x5R

Notes
: I knew yesterday was a special day. Today was not as easy, but it wasn't hard, either. Felt like a good, solid workout.
Swings: These were very strong, as my two-handed swings always are. Lots of hip-drive.
Getups: Of the two exercises, this was the most difficult when compared to yesterday. Overall, pretty tough set. However, my rest periods were still good; there was just a little more "strain" going on during the reps.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom