all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Simple or Sinister Standard: Who's going to do it in 2018?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Robert Noftz

Level 5 Valued Member
It was great to see all the discussion on the Simple or Sinister by December 2017 post. This might be a good time to start a post for 2018.

I achieved the Simple standard in 2017 and started practicing with the 40kg kettlebell. I took a couple of months off from doing S&S exclusively and added some variety.
Now I"m back on the S&S exclusively again. I"m going to work on hitting the time and rep standard with the 40kg in the next 3 months and then decide if I want to pursue the Sinister Standard by the end of the year.
Working on this has inspired me to be diligent in practice and to grow more in knowledge. I have signed up for Strong Endurance in Chicago next May.

Does anyone else have Simple or Sinister on the agenda for 2018?

@Robert Noftz good idea to start this thread. I'm in for achieving Simple during 2018.

I'm currently working with the 24, but not yet doing 100 one hand swings and 10 TGU. My short term goal is to be doing 100 swings and 10 TGU in about 3 months. Then start trying to achieve the time standards with the 24, and then start adding the 32. I think it's a rather conservative plan and I hope I can sustain it.

Good luck on your path with the 40!

Aiming to achieve SIMPLE here and maintain consistency and balance in training and life. Antifragile is the word that keeps popping up in my mind when I think on my 2018 training goals.

Currently completing 100 1H swings with 24kg sub 7 minutes. TGUs are still a weak point bc of knee pain and playing around with flooring ideas and technique.

Excited to see everyone's work in progress!

I supposed to achieve simple in 2017, but I stalled after few months and did gs-stuff, pressed 24kg 20 times and other stuff like that.
I start s&s again after my current phase and work towards simple. I’ll do my swings with 32kg and get ups with 24/32 from start so hopefully I achieve simple pretty soon.
Propably I don’t achieve it because it seems that my knees don’t like get ups anymore. :D

Last edited:
My goal is to hit Simple this year, after being on the journey for three years now. I was told by an SFG to stop swinging 32 kg with one hand some months ago because my form wasn't crisp enough for it. The 'bell was too heavy for me one-handed. So I dialed in with 24 kg. There should be a 28 kg waiting for me when I get home next week. I'll use an intermediate step to help me get there, but I will get there.

My goal is Simple by May 2018. I have a two week out of country vacation in January that will put my heavy swing training on hold but as soon as I'm back, I plan on hitting the bells to reach Simple. I'm currently swinging the 32 kg bell one-handed and doing 36 kg TGUs. I still need to improve my cardiovascular performance on the swings as I'm currently completing swings around the 10 to 15 min area. I haven't tested at this weight yet but the bell still feels heavy to me.

I am considering Sinister. Right now I am just enjoying the process of working with A+A style swings and snatches and steadily increasing weight and workload. So maybe I will go for it towards the end of this year, or sometime next year, i’m in no rush though. I’m excited to follow Brett Jones’ progress!

As someone who started completely untrained, I'm not sure if the Simple Standard is realistic for me in the next year, but I will certainly give it a shot, and see how close I can get. I think working with a 28k might be more realistic for me, but I think my main goal is more than 183 training sessions in my training log next year - more days on than days off.

I'm just being realistic and careful with my progression, I'm still working with 2 handed swings, but think it might be time to start integrating 1 hand swings.

As of today, I have 124 training sessions in my log for this year, so barely more than 1/3rd days on than off. As I mentioned in the last thread, I was still drinking very heavily in the first half of this year, and I think I averaged only 2 training days a week until June or so -_-. Now I'm sober as a church mouse, and plan to really make this the year of the dragon(chasing).

STRONG FIRST!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom