all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Simple or Sinister Standard: Who's going to do it in 2018?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Count me in... 2018 Sinister Goal is the Two Arm 100 continuous Swings with the 10 Get Ups as well as the One Arm Swings 10X10 in 5:00 with the 10 Get Ups w/in the 10:00 time allotment. Obviously, these will be performed on separate days with slightly different training protocols. First benchmark test is scheduled for Jan 24/25. This will be the 100 continuous Two Arm Swing version with power measured using the PUSH Band Accelerometer and all training leading up to the test tracked via the PUSH Portal. If schedules hopefully align, the SF Chief Brett Jones will record. No pressure there :)

Shooting for "Solid" for this guy, I know it's not official, but I think it would be the end of the road for me. How big are the guys that are hitting "Sinister"?

After the SFG1 course I may hit Simple again. Haven't decided what my next challenge will be after the SFG snatch test.

There are some light guys doing or chasing Sinister. There is a video of a guy less than 170 pounds (I'll try to find it and post it). @Pavel Macek is also quite light and going for Sinister

There are some light guys doing or chasing Sinister. There is a video of a guy less than 170 pounds (I'll try to find it and post it). @Pavel Macek is also quite light and going for Sinister

Yes, I am 68 kg. I was already swinging 56 kg, and doing 6 get-ups of 10 with 48 kg, but then I injured my elbow and had to switch to another program. Once I finish it, back to Sinister.

Last edited:
Count me in... 2018 Sinister Goal is the Two Arm 100 continuous Swings with the 10 Get Ups as well as the One Arm Swings 10X10 in 5:00 with the 10 Get Ups w/in the 10:00 time allotment. Obviously, these will be performed on separate days with slightly different training protocols. First benchmark test is scheduled for Jan 24/25. This will be the 100 continuous Two Arm Swing version with power measured using the PUSH Band Accelerometer and all training leading up to the test tracked via the PUSH Portal. If schedules hopefully align, the SF Chief Brett Jones will record. No pressure there :)
I really like how you incorporate the heavy 2 handed swings into your routine. That's optimal!

Thank you, Kobushi! Personally, I think this is worth the time as is being able to powerfully swing a certain kettle bell weight 100 times in sets of 10 with 2 hands before trying to do so with 1 hand alternating every set/10 reps. People miss that Pavel says in S&S to incorporate both swing versions into their training.

Been slowly working my way up to the Simple standard for several weeks. For swings, no timed sets, just 10 sets of 10 swings with active rest as needed. For Turkish Getups I will vary the load and rest periods. I plan to test “Simple” next weekend. Very pleased with my results so far, I’ve battled both a gastrointestinal and respiratory bug and took several days off for each with no major setback.

Once I hit Simple will look into a little more structured Strong Endurance plan 3 x per week with two days of Easy Strength style barbell training to recent SFL later this year.

I'm planning on getting to simple this year. It was almost a year ago when I was getting my swings & TGU's going with the 32kg when I was in a car accident (literally the day after a very good, strong day). Since then I've been up & down getting my shoulders back to normal. I can do 2H swings in time, but haven't been able to do a TGU since November (long story). Thankfully I've got some great rehab working on getting my shoulders to support me. I've felt strong the past couple of days since my last session, so I'm hoping to start the TGU's again soon!!

I'm in. I don't have a 70lb bell, but hope to hit the time goals with my 80lb. Basically starting from scratch. Just started 5 sets of 10 with my 53 lb bell and 10 get ups for the last two weeks. Hopefully before the end of Feb I will be up to 100 2 hand swings and 10 getups and go from there.

Last edited:
Can someone explain the time limits a little more? I prefer to knockout all 100 swings at once, which takes about 2 mins. Is it safe to assume that you are still allotted just 1 min rest before starting the getups?

I also prefer to knockout 2 getups (1 per side) before a minute rest but the guidelines say two different things 1)10×1 get-ups performed in 10 minutes and 2) 1 get-up every minute on the minute (alternate left and right every other minute). Can I assume that so long as you perform 10 getups in 10 mins you're good?

Thanks!

@Aaron Walters I do not have my copy of the book handy at the moment, but I believe the swings are 5 min or less, done in sets of 10 alternating left and right arm, as you would do in everyday practice. I think though that good form with each swing, that you truly "own" them, and could repeat this feat any random day you choose is encouraged though.

I assume for time standards 1 min rest, then getups. I don't recall the book describing what you talk about for getups (the every minute on the minute)...just that for safety's sake they are alternate arms ie-not 5 one side, then the other.

Aiming for Solid (40 kg). TGUs seem out of reach for now, but experience suggests that with consistency and patience it will happen ☺️

@Aaron Walters this is from the "Sinister" page and should clarify the test standards:

upload_2018-2-8_13-36-29.png

If you can do the session to that standard it indicates you are ready to start using the next size kettlebell in your practice.

If you can do the swings continuously, you're already ready for a heavier one.

For daily practice it's recommended to take much longer for swings; something like 10 swings R, 1 min rest, 10 swings L, 1 min rest, etc. If the kettlebell is sufficiently challenging, this will still be moderately difficult, but not stressful. This emphasizes the power aspect and de-emphasizes the conditioning aspect. Once every week or two you can try to push the pace (or do the non-stop swings) and get more of a conditioning session.

It was great to see all the discussion on the Simple or Sinister by December 2017 post. This might be a good time to start a post for 2018.

I achieved the Simple standard in 2017 and started practicing with the 40kg kettlebell. I took a couple of months off from doing S&S exclusively and added some variety.
Now I"m back on the S&S exclusively again. I"m going to work on hitting the time and rep standard with the 40kg in the next 3 months and then decide if I want to pursue the Sinister Standard by the end of the year.
Working on this has inspired me to be diligent in practice and to grow more in knowledge. I have signed up for Strong Endurance in Chicago next May.

Does anyone else have Simple or Sinister on the agenda for 2018?
I’m a sixty year old male, 6’1”, 175 lbs. I really want to acheive the Simple goal this year but am having a difficult time making the leap from 24k to 32k for the get up. I’m thinking that I should be less ambitious and use a 28k kettlebell to work up to the 32k. I’m told that big weight jumps are the way to go, but that’s not working for me.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom