all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Simple or Sinister Standard: Who's going to do it in 2018?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I’m a sixty year old male, 6’1”, 175 lbs. I really want to acheive the Simple goal this year but am having a difficult time making the leap from 24k to 32k for the get up. I’m thinking that I should be less ambitious and use a 28k kettlebell to work up to the 32k. I’m told that big weight jumps are the way to go, but that’s not working for me.
How long have you been using the 32 kg? Have you tried back-to-back TGUs on one side? have you tried holding for a few seconds at each stage?

How long have you been using the 32 kg? Have you tried back-to-back TGUs on one side? have you tried holding for a few seconds at each stage?
I’ve been including a not so pretty 32 get up on the second round . I have not tried back to back yet, but I will. Should I do this at 24k?I always try to hold at least three seconds at each stage. Thanks!

Hello,

@Stephen Reynolds
I did the exact same thing. I used holds for a few seconds at each steps. Plus, I did all the transitions in slow motion. That way, I built a longer time under tension. I did this for almost every weights with pretty good results because it creates greate CNS adaptations (form, tension, strength, endurance, and technique refinement). It worked pretty well on me.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Stephen Reynolds
I did the exact same thing. I used holds for a few seconds at each steps. Plus, I did all the transitions in slow motion. That way, I built a longer time under tension. I did this for almost every weights with pretty good results because it creates greate CNS adaptations (form, tension, strength, endurance, and technique refinement). It worked pretty well on me.

Kind regards,

Pet'
All good. I did notice that Strongfirst Shop does not sell a 28k kettlebell. I guess
Wow. Thanks very much. Very helpful!

For Everyone - Concerning the requirements about the time

***Message 1***
Hi Nikki!

Thank you for responding!

Just so I'm clear, if I do 10 swings in less than 30 seconds I must wait until the 30 second mark to begin the next 10 swings? If so, then the sinister achievement would take exactly 16 mins to complete and you would be disqualified if you complete it faster.
***Message 1***

***Response 1***
Aaron, yes, you must wait until the :30 second mark before starting another set.

Because swings start at 0:00 and becase it takes less than 30 seconds to perform 10 swings (starting the 1 minute rest a few seconds before the 5:00 mark) and because it takes less than 1 minute to perform a get-up, you will finish a few seconds short of 16 minutes.

Thank you,

Nikki
***Response 1***

@Stephen Reynolds

To follow up on what @pet' wrote (all good!), as you get to the heavier weights, technique becomes more critical. The back-to-back TGUs will highlight the parts of the sequence where you are less strong.

IIRC It took me about 5 months to jump from 24 to 32.

For Everyone - Concerning the requirements about the time

***Message 1***
Hi Nikki!

Thank you for responding!

Just so I'm clear, if I do 10 swings in less than 30 seconds I must wait until the 30 second mark to begin the next 10 swings? If so, then the sinister achievement would take exactly 16 mins to complete and you would be disqualified if you complete it faster.
***Message 1***

***Response 1***
Aaron, yes, you must wait until the :30 second mark before starting another set.

Because swings start at 0:00 and becase it takes less than 30 seconds to perform 10 swings (starting the 1 minute rest a few seconds before the 5:00 mark) and because it takes less than 1 minute to perform a get-up, you will finish a few seconds short of 16 minutes.

Thank you,

Nikki
***Response 1***
Ugh! You mean I have to lift these Kettlebells a whole sixteen minutes?!? What do you think this is, a hobby?!?!??

Yall are making me enjoy my 50 2 hand swings and dreading the transition from my 24 kg to my 36 kg bell! Thanks for all the great information yall are giving!

Shooting for "Solid" for this guy, I know it's not official, but I think it would be the end of the road for me. How big are the guys that are hitting "Sinister"?
One of the first videos I watched of someone doing the Sinister standard was from Stefan Lofstrom. In the comments of the video he states he weighed 75kg. Also, one of the latest people to do it was Brian Myers. I thought I saw something he wrote in the past in which he said he was around 170lbs but I could be wrong.

I'm more curious to know the age of the oldest person to do it. I didn't get a lot of responses about that when I asked about it.

One of the first videos I watched of someone doing the Sinister standard was from Stefan Lofstrom. In the comments of the video he states he weighed 75kg. Also, one of the latest people to do it was Brian Myers. I thought I saw something he wrote in the past in which he said he was around 170lbs but I could be wrong.

I'm more curious to know the age of the oldest person to do it. I didn't get a lot of responses about that when I asked about it.

I guess I've got no excuses then, as I normally hover between 79-82kg.

I’m a sixty year old male, 6’1”, 175 lbs. I really want to acheive the Simple goal this year but am having a difficult time making the leap from 24k to 32k for the get up. I’m thinking that I should be less ambitious and use a 28k kettlebell to work up to the 32k. I’m told that big weight jumps are the way to go, but that’s not working for me.
Stephen, I'm not a professional trainer but I think you do bring up a good point about applying principles to practice. You are 60 years old and have certain realities to deal with. If an 8kg jump is too big for you then a smaller one might be appropriate. At 60 years of age just staying active is probably a good goal. You can get a lot done with a 24kg kettlbell.
I just turned 50 years old and I'm wondering whether the Sinister standard is realistic for me. At a certain age we just have to deal with certain physical realities. At some point just staying mobile and healthy will probably be more important to me than hitting certain weight and rep standards.

Best of luck

I guess I've got no excuses then, as I normally hover between 79-82kg.
I feel the same way. I'm not real lean but I weigh about 210lbs at about 5'8". The one thing I wonder about is my age. I just turned 50 and just started practicing with kettlebells a little over year ago. Also, I need to find a better place to practice. I have started swinging the 48kg but I don't want to practice get ups with it because I practice in an apartment. I'm concerned I may damage the floor if I mess up with the 48kg when doing get ups. When moving up to the other weights the get ups seemed easier for me than the swings.
None of the gyms in my area have large kettlbells. I talked to some of the owners and managers and it doesn't sound like they are interested in getting any.
Anyways I still continue to practice. I do believe there is a certain amount of time necessary to develop the neural muscular connections and conditioning. I notice that a lot of the people who complete the Sinister standard had been practicing with kettlebells for some time before they made it to sinister. I have watched the videos that some of them make and it looks like they could do swings and get ups with kettlebells over 48 kg before they started doing Simple and Sinister. That may not be the case for all of them, but for some of them it was.

I feel the same way. I'm not real lean but I weigh about 210lbs at about 5'8". The one thing I wonder about is my age. I just turned 50 and just started practicing with kettlebells a little over year ago. Also, I need to find a better place to practice. I have started swinging the 48kg but I don't want to practice get ups with it because I practice in an apartment. I'm concerned I may damage the floor if I mess up with the 48kg when doing get ups. When moving up to the other weights the get ups seemed easier for me than the swings.
None of the gyms in my area have large kettlbells. I talked to some of the owners and managers and it doesn't sound like they are interested in getting any.
Anyways I still continue to practice. I do believe there is a certain amount of time necessary to develop the neural muscular connections and conditioning. I notice that a lot of the people who complete the Sinister standard had been practicing with kettlebells for some time before they made it to sinister. I have watched the videos that some of them make and it looks like they could do swings and get ups with kettlebells over 48 kg before they started doing Simple and Sinister. That may not be the case for all of them, but for some of them it was.

I suppose you could train at a park or something where you can bail into the grass?

I suppose you could train at a park or something where you can bail into the grass?
Yes, that would work. It's an option when the weather is good or there is not snow on the ground. Taking a gym mat and working on a basketball court or something similar could also work. I'll probably try that in a few months when it gets warmer.

For those of you who are working on one handed swings with the next size bell up, I am already finding the template from this piece by @Steve Freides in the Strongfirst articles section very very helpful....

Simple & Sinister: Getting from Two- to One-Hand Swings | StrongFirst

I spent about 2 weeks of sessions doing two handed 24kg swings for sets of 10, to get a bit acclimatized to the power needed, and the extra lung capacity needed. I knocked the volume back to 5 sets, and started with the first template described in the article (10T (2T, 2L,2T,2R,2T), 10Tx3). Did this for a few sessions rather than immediately jumping to the next step, and so far so good. Yesterday added a second set of the mixed swings within the 5 sets of two handed. Seems to be a really nice method. Having broken the 5th metacarpal in my hand a year ago, I was a little fearful of gripping a larger bell, but this is feeling good so far, and definitely find the two handed swings in the mixed set help instruct/set up the groove for sliding in the one handed swing. I think I finally see Simple in sight for sometime this year.

As well, this SFG instructor's (@Martine Kerr ) absolute GEM of an instagram page has lots of great videos and tips about all kinds of things including lots of pointers on swings and getups, which I have found invaluable, especially if you are a visual learner....sharing this here as a resource for you all!

Martine Kerr, StrongFirst TL (@kult_fitness) • Instagram photos and videos

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom